Agnostic.com

6 2

One thing so far I'm loving so much about this site is how receptive and welcoming it is to everybody. I started early this morning and have had nothing but positive things on here since.

That actually leads me to a story. My (gay) best friend and I lived "in the Bible Belt" (which is why the gay part is even mentioned). Where we lived, at the time, discrimination because of sexual preferences was still acceptable. He had actually just been fired, and his landlord was considering kicking him out. Not us, not his heterosexual female roommates, just him. Anyway. So to continue on.

It's Easter, and we're both struggling with loneliness. So he says, "I'd like to go to church." I'm shocked. He says "I heard about a universalist church, come on let's go"

Long story short, everybody from all walks of life were welcomed, accepted, and acknowledged. There were "teachers" from all the major religions. The more Wiccan woman's turn came up, and what she said stuck with me.

"The Bible. It's a fantastic book queue confused looks between guests. It is a moral gold mine. No not the other things that automatically come to your mind when this is said. More the, Aesop's Fables aspect of it. Let's look at Easter. If you read the book as a more abstract guide, it shows you to appreciate new beginnings. The rebirth of Christ can be a symbol of, the blooming of flowers, the awakening of hibernating animals. This of course isn't verbatim and was many years ago so I've forgotten a lot The Bible, no matter what your religion, can be a very interesting guide. It can be full of intense stories with morals to be learned."

And it just hit me, strongly. Because every person in that room was filled with love, motivation, and acceptance. Christians, pagans, atheists alike enjoyed each other's company, and sought the day anew. We enjoyed a nice meal together.

So... I guess even though I feel the Bible is bullshit, it's the ideal "Dr Phil's How to Have a Little Extra Guidance in your Life" book.

WineTurbine 4 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I watched a thing on facebook where 3 men sat down 1 being atheist and the others Jewish and Christian and had a spliff/blunt and after a while they dropped all the bullshit and started smiling and getting on.

Interesting thoughts. I agree the Bible is so full of varied ideas that one can find in it virtually whatever message one is look I thing for. It has great values messages in It, ad well as horrendous ones, and also some silly, apparently pointless ones. Religion is what one makes of it, and if somebody religious is using their adop get faith paradigm to process positive values of love, respect, charity, humility, and altruism, I genuinely wish them the best and don't want to dump negativity on them.

The UU Church has a great tradition of teaching respect for the pantheon of world religions and to encourage every individual's personal search for meaning and a positive values system. One of the worst tendencies of religion is to encourage mistrust and denigration of people considered "other" than one's own religious reference group. UU is doing the best it can to counteract that and to allow congregants to feel a part of a community without having to "drink the Koolaid" or accept indoctrination.

That still doesn't make me feel like adopting a belief system that I see through as a fairytale. I can't ignore reality that easily when I see the facts. Fortunately there is secular humanism to give voice to freethinkers who recognize the importance of thinking about values and philosophical guidelines for living a good life.

There are indeed many good philosophical ideas that are in the book. We can learn many good ideas from religious text. The difference is that we can take what is good from it and throw away the rest. People whom believe the mythology is real are unable to differentiate the mythology from reality and many believe it to be actual history. If people looked at the bible as we do Socrates, Plato, Aristotle,Homer etc. We all could benefit from it.

welcome to the group

Yes, the bible has some good moral stories, however it has tons of other crap like misogyny and devaluing of women. Welcome to the site! It is a great community!

The unitarian universalist church is a place that welcomes everyone in the LGBTQ community. A safe place for Freethinkers to socialize.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.