Agnostic.com

48 2

What are two foreign languages that you are interested or least interested in learning?

Interest: Swedish
Least interest: Arabic

EmeraldJewel 7 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most: Japanese
Least: Persian

Would like to learn Spanish and maybe Arabic but at my age the mouth and tongue don’t want to cooperate anymore and doubt I could make myself understood. But I would like to be able to understand others so I could at least grunt a reply.

I'd like to learn Japanese

Because all of her friends tell us that the original Japanese is so much better than our silly little dubbed version LOL

Good luck! I've been studying the Japanese language on and off for over 25 years and I still can't really speak much beyond saying " Do you like cats? Cats are cute". Maybe I m just a poor student though. Ganbatte!

@Godless12
So how DO I ask if someone likes cats, lol. I am a crazy cat lady. But my Japanese never progressed much beyond simple greetings. And I am embarrassed to be completely illiterate in Japanese.
Languages that use the same alphabet are SO much easier. I can slowly sound out words in Russian, but can't begin to read Arabic or any oriental languages.

@GYPSYKAT ねこ すき ですか? Neko suki desu ka? (Do you like cats?)

わたし の まんが わ すき です か?Watashi no manga wa suki desu ka? ( Do you like my cartoon?)

@Godless12
domo arigato.
So is "Neko" the word for cat?

@GYPSYKAT Hai (Yes).

Japanese & Russian .

Those two are considered to be the most difficult to learn by a native English speaker, break the myth, show us all you can learn the Cyrillic script and Hiragana too.

@thisisdanny

Oh Dannyboy I will..?

Ochien harasho. Ya gavoreet po russki nemnoga.
Lol. I just can't spell it phonetically and don't have a Russian keyboard.
Russian is challenging. Not only a whole new alphabet to learn, but twelve cases. But it's fun.

So far in my life I have learned, and forgotten:

Indonesian
German
Hebrew
Mandarin
Arabic
Icelandic

I currently work for a French speaking company so I'm trying to learn that ( I read it better than I speak it)

I'd also like to learn Japanese.

They are probably all still in there lying dormant and if the need arose you would find they all would come back to you. The brain is just a computer, you have just forgotten the access codes!

@Marionville The brain is not a computer, however a computer is definitely a computer, prove me wrong, please post your reply to my comment using just your brain, no phones, tablets or computers, looking forward it.
Meanwhile i assume you are not multilingual other then the latin you took in high school ( we all took some in high school, don't be ashamed) because you really have no clue about the language acquisition and brain, it requires constant repetitions to retain a language, without which it fades away in the memory, the base language learned at childhood is of course retained differently in the neural pathways, hope you understand.

Indonesian and Mandarin

Least interested: I can't really think of a language I would not want to learn.

I'm the same way. I speak at least a bit in several languages, including sign language. Arguably, it's because that way I never have to shut up, lol.

@GYPSYKAT Same. I believe it's a great way extend my experience of the world. Just a few words in someone else's language can go a long way building relationships. Helps in Melbourne, Australia where we have folk from all nations.

French and spoken Japanese would be great. Least favorite...I can't think of one...maybe some obscure dialect?

I learned a bit of Spanish when I was working in construction cuz a lot of the subcontractors were Latino but the problem is once you get out of that environment it goes away and you start forgetting if you don't use it so I have found out that unless you have a real purpose and you're going to live in an environment where that language is spoken it's kind of pointless to learn it

French and Germán

I need to know Mandarin - language of the future

Livia Level 6 Aug 9, 2018

I would love to learn Japanese. Russian, not so much...

I’d love to learn French and German. I can get through with Spanish, but French is a biggie. Particularly for my line of work.

one is spanish because there are so many who speak spanish. Nt sure what the other would be.

I studied Russian for several years in school, & I adore the language for its deeply consonant-emphasized nature. Also, I'd love to learn a romance language such as Spanish and/or Italian. For that matter, I'd love to explore Yiddish, given its use by my family ancestors.

I want to learn Spanish and Chinese

Spanish and French

Japanese and Haitian Creole.

Spanish. Since I moved to Arizona I have met a lot of Mexican people so I have a lot of help. I think I will enroll this fall at Arizona State in a Spanish 101 course and see how that works out.
any suggestions will be appreciated.

I want to learn Italian and German. I'd also like to get better at Latin.

I’ve studied French and German over the years, but have not been able to reach a good level of proficiency in either. Still hoping to become fluent in at least one.
Have thought about learning Spanish or Chinese. Lots of Spanish being spoken throughout the U.S. and Chinese is going to become more prominent as they continue to grow economically.

I’ve studied French and German over the years, but have not been able to reach a good level of proficiency in either. Still hoping to become fluent in at least one.
Have thought about learning Spanish or Chinese. Lots of Spanish being spoken throughout the U.S. and Chinese is going to become more prominent as they continue to grow economically.

I want to learn Spanish

Hi Emerald. I have studied six languages over years: I lived in a Hispanic community so I picked up a lot of Spanish off the street (especially the cuss words) that is before I took college courses in it. In high school I took French and German. In college I studied, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese. When I taught on the Hopi Reservation I formally studied Hopi. Now I'm on the Navajo Rez., and last year took a college course in conversational Navajo.

Fluid in none. I have used the Spanish, French, German, Hopi, and Navajo. I would recommend Brazilian Portuguese, it's a beautiful language, a mixture of Spanish, French and indigenous languages of Brazil.

Portuguese....

@evidentialist yes. It's a beautiful language and a fascinating culture

@evidentialist Brazilian Portuguese is slightly different that the home language found in Europe. Due to local influences. It is a Romance language, having studied French and Spanish languages first, I can see elements of influence from both. But you are correct, Portuguese is its own distinct language.

@t1nick -- There is coloring of all basic languages because of locale and indigenous populations. Examples that are readily apparent are northern Chihuahua, Mexico compared to the Spanish spoken in Peru and an even more glaring difference comparing those two to the Spanish spoken in Madrid, Spain. They're all Spanish and after a brief adjustment to my hearing, I can understand all of them reasonably well. German within the countries of Germany and Austria varies greatly from place to place.

@evidentialist true so what's your point? This is well known by anybody who has studied languages. There is a difference between Chihuahua Spanish and Oaxacan Spanish. It's called colloquialism. However the distinctions between Brazil's Portuguese and Portugual's Spanish more pronounced because of the distance, early isolation, and influence of local languages.

@t1nick -- Yep, and it was merely an observation. We have a wide range of dialectical differences here in the US as well. Let's not mention the range in the UK.

I tried to learn Japanese, but it barely stuck--though I think that was because I tried to teach myself in the 90s, that wild era before affordable self-teaching programmes. I'd still like to learn it.

I would not want to try to learn any tonal languages like Chinese, as my hearing is shite and I wouldn't be able to pick up on the differences. Also, no French. It sounds awful to my ears, its grammar is absurd, and its spelling is infuriating.

Spanish- I would love to learn spanish. I like the language. Not so much the culture tho.

French- I'm not spitting in people face when i talk.

@MrChange -- Wait. What? Which culture? The cultures of the peoples who speak Spanish are varied. Do you have a specific culture in mind, or have you spoken in a sweeping generalization? Not being combative here, just curious.

German and Japanese

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:147517
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.