Agnostic.com

29 6

God mother/father

Have you been asked to be a god mother or god father? I am my niece’s god mother despite my sister fully knowing it doesn’t mean anything to me (she’s not religious either, she did it for my parents).
Does that make me inconsistent? I am also her legal guardian if anything happened to my sister and bother in law.

AmyMay 3 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not certain but I think the term was used to ensure that someone would raise the child in the ways of the Bible. A sort of Christian insurance. Obviously not the same imperative now.

I know people who take that role very seriously. My best friend considered asking me to be his kid's godfather, but I wasn't sure I should.... They take the role seriously, and so did I. I more worried about getting caught up in family stuff if anything were to happen. In the end I'm just Uncle Ben... but it's a pretty cool title.

Well they'll never run out of rice Uncle Ben..?

I've never been asked. I doubt I'd do it, but I'd consider the circumstances.

It is not. As a legal guardian you are allready a civil godparent. As far as the religious aspect of a godparent you are responsible for their spiritual guidance as well. I am the godparent to 2 of my nieces and I have guided them spiritually but by teaching them religious tolerance of both the many different believers and also the different non believers. One neice is now an atheist and the other a Christian (from catholic).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:147816
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.