Agnostic.com

12 2

Not trying to be a downer here, but since our actions are inconsequential to the universe, do you think that’s sad or a relief?

Mangoes 5 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Human activity is most consequential 19years ago

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - last line
Nothing really matters, anyone can see - nothing really matters to me.

we are just flecks of dust, floating on a small rock itself floating through the universe - nothing we do on this earth is of consequence to the universe

I would not like to think my bad day/mood/idea caused harm!

Neither. It is neither sad or relief giving. As you said its inconsequential. The Universe will most likely not even notice our passing when it eventually happens.

Let me respond in this manner . . . Once I discovered my eternal placement in heaven or hell was just mythology, it was a relief! A huge relief. It made me reexamine my behavior, to others and to the environment. I'm a much better person now that I've given up those beliefs. Everything I do matters--in this one and only life!

Wrong on both inferences....climate change is global...hardly inconsequential....neither sad nor forgivable.....remember the DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL movie with Michael Rennie and GORT his galactic robot cop....if people or earthbound diseases contaminate another planet threatening harm to other worlds ....Earth may suffer retaliation in the form of cosmic justice

Who cares what the universe "thinks?" The real question would be how do you feel about your own actions and do they benefit only you or others around you as well....

If the universe won't care why will I?

I'm not sure our actions are inconsequential to the universe (butterfly effect and all that mumbo jumbo), but I do think my actions only affect me during my life--I.e., there is no afterlife, and we'll all return to stardust at some point, probably to be eventually engulfed by a black hole. To me, that's not a downer; It's a much more exciting way to look at life, and a better reason to soak everything in, experience the world, and connect with others who get to perceive the same world you do (who knows what the world will be like in 1000 years, but I'll bet it will be far different than the version you and I are in--those who live then will never get to experience our daily existence). That's pretty cool to think about. Conversely, believers tend to see the world/ life as a means to an end (I.e., a way to finding eternal salvation)--and with all the beauty there is in the universe, that to me would be the real downer.

Neither for me, it is reality, I accept what I can't change. My life is long, life on earth so much longer, enjoy it while we can, what we are exists within this, that doesn't change no matter who we consider it.

Definitely a relief.

I think our actions are of consequence when it comes to the planet. trump wants to allow drilling off our beautiful coastlines, is taking land away from national parks and building oil and gas pipelines that have burst already threatening our environment. Isn't the earth part of the universe?

Yes rather sad. I read about his go ahead to drill in Alaska. He doesn't give a sh*' about this planet.
It's about "what's in it for him"?. The current WH administration is a crooked shady business deal - his refuge! All his cronies succumbing to his every whim no matter the consequences🙄🤐

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14837
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.