Agnostic.com

24 5

If you don't believe in God , and feel that man made religion is just a vain attempt to tell some whats next, does that automatically mean you think this life is all there is? I don't know whats next. No one does, thus agnostic as opposed to atheist. I reject the man made politics and myth of a God as overseer and judge . But next? I can only think in human terms. Who knows? Who could know?

Benmonk 6 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The claim that some part of my consciousness exists after death is entirely unsupported by evidence. As far as I can tell, out mind is inextricably linked to out physical body, directly affected by the health and structural integrity of the brain. From all appearances, the mind is what the brain does. I have no qualms saying that I think it's unlikely there's an afterlife, though I stop short of saying that I believe no afterlife is possible. I think claims of an afterlife, much like claims about God or gods, are manmade fables to convince ourselves that the pain of losing loved ones to death isn't permanent, that we'll be reunited one day. Myths exist to explain the world and allay our fears, to fill in the gaps of our understanding and to give us hope when we're in despair. I don't consider these claims to be 50-50 propositions, even if I can't rule them out entirely. I've watched people die, watched their mental faculties diminish as their bodies failed, watched personalities change as dementia progressed. When I sleep each night, barring periods of REM, my brain is inactive and I don't generate memories. I have no reason to believe death is any more active for my mind than a dreamless sleep is.

I'm not atheist because of what's next. I'm atheist because I don't believe any of the "gods" homo sapiens has made up are real. That said, I believe nothing is next for me. When I die my molecules will fall apart and my atoms will shuffle off to their next assignment (reminder to self: get that green burial arrangement in order!). I think this IS all we have. If I'm wrong, fine. But for the moment I try to pay attention and make the most of NOW.

Direct experience... we come, we go... hopefully "we see the show"... Then decompose; fini. All else is wishful hoping.

Yes ... we're all just ants. Anyone ever born. A life cycle. Death. More ants. Just my opinion. Not tryin to convince anyone.

I subscribe to Occam's Razor for most things in life. All things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. The more assumptions you have to make, the less likely the answer is the correct one. Since there is absolutely no evidence of an after life, I must therefore conclude that fear of ceasing to exist caused someone somewhere along the line to create a hope for a continuing existence after the body expires. It is nothing more than wishful thinking. But, whatever the truth is, we shall all live with it. (Pun intended) I was actually thinking of starting myself as undecided on this until I started this comment but, life after death can't even be considered a theory at this point. Theories give a supposition or a system of ideas for HOW something can exist or happen. An after life is nothing more than a wish.

Duke Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

To me asking what's next is a lot like asking what's before. I have no memory of 1870, I didn't exist then. Biology finds we're made up of matter and cannot measure any "ghost in the machine." The brain is where my thoughts come from. If I suffer a brain injury I might lose part of my personality so, if not personality, I don't know what my soul is. I am best described as a walking chemistry set. Once those chemicals break down the evidence points toward me ceasing to exist, just like the 1800s, which wasn't a bad time for me, so no complaints on that fate. Besides already at 24 I'm beginning to realize as amazing and fun life is I could not fathom how exhausting it would be to live longer than one life.

We are one species among millions on this planet, they are all alive, they are all representations of life. Noone (well few) are concerned if the life of a flea is all there is for the flea. We are just another species, we are not special, we did not exist for most of the history of the earth. We can reason, that is about all that sets us apart from most species, it doesn't mean we have any greater purpose then any living thing. There is no reason there would be more for humans beyond their life than for any other living thing.

Ive never thought of potential afterlife or rebirth as restricted to humans tbh...if you become a snake in the next life, for example, where does the snake go? >_> well it could become an insect, but someone is inhabiting the next human body lol. Of course, then that leads to where do the new souls for expanding human population come from? All the species going extinct because of us, of course!

I try to focus on the here and now and not think of tomorrow. Living in the moment.

Don't know, don't care. There's enough going on right here and now--too much to let myself stay distracted for very long.

The stories are entertaining, though.

I personally don't believe in life after death. In a way, it seems that our "self" is so vital that it will live on after the physical body is gone. But, our thoughts and our self is bound up with our physical being and when it's gone, it's gone. Actually, I find this very liberating. We can focus on our lives as they are in the present, and not have to worry about a heaven or hell or purgatory or whatever.

Using absolute certainty as a definition of "knowing" is unrealistic, impractical, and not in keeping with how we use the word elsewhere. We can find all kinds of excuses not to "know", when our mortality is at stake, but we never hedge our bets with such qualifiers when we "know" we're hungry or tired, or that the sun will rise in the morning. We're somehow never agnostic about much until it concerns our possible extinction. How many nights do we sit up wondering what happens next for a tree that dies? It is equally unknowable in perfect certainty, but we don't consider it an unknown. Do automobiles have souls? It's impossible to know.

skado Level 9 Jan 13, 2018

Ive wondered many times what happens when a tree dies >_>

I think that religions began as an attempt by early humans to feel like they could have some control over surroundings they had little control over or understanding of. Imagine living in a cave with a fire, staring out at the darkness, having no idea what might be out there. You also have no idea if you'll find food for you or your children the next day. All you have is a stick and a rock. Hope would understandably turn into a prayer to whatever it was that controlled your fortune.

Not to overgeneralize, but I think that this is why a vast majority of poor and impoverished people have such strong faith in religion... there must be something out there that is controlling all of this, it's bound to get better if I just show that I'm worthy...

I think it would be wonderful to believe that there is something after death (I'd say believing it is all that really matters in this life), but a lifetime of trying to understand how people can possibly feel that way has proven to me that I'll never believe it! The belief itself must be so comforting to people in times of loss, or when facing our own mortality... and I would be a fantastic ghost, dammit...

energy moves on. to have a life you have to have death. you disappear as a human to become nutrients for plants which are then eaten etc.

Why do you feel the need for a 'next?' I see it as an excuse to not fully realize now. My afterlife will exist in the memories of those I loved and who loved me, and in those I touched or inspired in some way - and that's good enough. The here and now is what's important, wasting time worrying about or pondering 'next' is futile, there is no answer for you.

All things biological die. The end.

After life is death. What sort of life is death? It is just like no life at all. What is after the apple is eaten? The after apple? ffffff, please....

What?

What is rational thought? Simply put, it means to accept only those things that have some basis in the natural world. That doesn't mean one can't speculate a little, but it does mean that the speculation needs to have a high statistical probability of existing in the Universe in which we live -- in our reality. What that suggests is that things such as ghosts, goblins, ghouls, tooth fairies, gnomes, dragons, deities, mermaids, reincarnation, afterlife, angels, and so forth are out.

If one limits their rational thinking to just a deity, but accepts the notion of afterlife, reincarnation, astrology, etc., what has one accomplished? About the same as a believer who accepts science except when it clashes with his/her belief. People fuss about how the religious cherry pick their way through scripture, for example, but don't see the futility of cherry picking their way through reality. By the way, rejecting all this does not mean you're giving up the title of agnostic in deference to atheist. It merely means you reject these ideas, but are unwilling to make an absolute assertion. I am a full blown atheist, but I won't make that absolute assertion, either. It's just that my reasons for not doing so are not the same as the reasons given by the agnostic.

Posters here have covered all the points that I would make, so I won't rehash. I will say that one of the biggest divides in this community, though conducted cordially, is between agnostics and atheists. Note the phrase in the post - agnostic as opposed to atheist. (I know it's not meant to mean opposition). But this divide has really surprised me. Agnostics really often seem to have a real problem with the word atheism. But atheists, like me, have no problem with someone choosing agnostic. It seems to me that agnostics think that atheism is presumptuous or arrogant in some way. One poster told me he thought it was insane (his word) to be atheist, and just as bad as being a theist. Yet to me atheist is just a logical deduction. I don't believe a cosmic duck made the universe. I'm a Acosmicduckist. I don't believe, due to no evidence, that a God made the universe. I'm an atheist. New evidence, maybe my view would change. Not sure why some agnostics have a problem with this.

No one knows. When we die a great cabbage could decide that we treated it's people wrong and condemn us to an existence of being a perpetual salad. Or the most radical religions could be right...or god is a conglomerate of all the conscious energies becoming one (I channeled my inner crystals for that one)....fun to think about...I think religion offers some people a philosophy that helps them get through life and not fear death. We cannot understand nothingness. And for some the result of thinking there is nothing after this, allows them to be less connected to the world now. Dennis Miller once said about destroying the world (he was referring to us polluting and drilling for oil, I think) that he caress about his kids, his grand kids, and maybe his great grand kids, but after that...? Some people need religion to feel that they maintain involved in this planet after their death.

Some people believe in reincarnation, regardless of the existence of any particular deity.

Death tells all. If I knew the answer, I'd tell.

I imagine an afterlife because it makes me happy. No other reason.

Goat Level 5 Jan 13, 2018

The only reason I identify as agnostic and atheist is because from what I know there is no god, but if there is then I’d have to change my mind. There has never been a valid argument for god, even if that ever came about, I’d need to know for sure. Healthy dose of skepticism I’d call it. As for afterlife, I don’t care.

I would imagine, without evidence, that belief in the afterlife came about through dreams. Our mind shuts down somewhat a bit like dying, and yet we dream about fantastic events. We now know quite a bit about dreaming but there is no evidence for life after death.

gearl Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

I have a problem with the lack of reason whether for or against god mostly for god. Faith is a destructive force that leads people to do unreasonable sometimes violent things. There is still room in physics for a non influential creator of the Big Bang but reasonably we do not know that so we shouldn’t dwell on that yet live our lives and be good successful humans.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.