Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it's stupid

I was raised Catholic put at a very young age I had my doubts and my doubts only increased as I aged and by my late 30's or so I was a closet Agnostic.I came out in my early 50's because I saw how poorly treated non believers were treated.

The cardinal reason is the discrepancies in these religions which make them impossible to be believed in! The second reason is that religions teach hate and racism if we read between the lines that shows us that they are 100% manmade! The third reason is that Science and logic could disprove the claim of the religions.

Simply, it does not stand up to logical inquiry.

i started to question the teachings if the bible when it said something like the sons of adam and eve went out into the world to find wives,and realised that they were the only people on earth so where did they find wives? that cane and able would have had trouble finding them so the logical conclusion wa
s that they mated with apes!

tommo Level 1 Oct 25, 2017

I was originally taught to believe in god (Church of England, not too strict), prayed before bed, and went to Sunday School. Then a relative gave me a children's bible, and after reading through it, concluded it was b.s. My lack of belief spread to the rest of the immediate family, so my parents and siblings are all atheists now.

Good question! Let me ponder a moment...????

I tend to question everything. The idea of a god is so ridiculous that I literally do not believe a thinking person could believe it.

In my late 30’s I began a degree in Theology. I had been a “born again” protestant christian for about 20 years, with a childhood background in catholicism.
My aim in my degree was to major in Pastoral care and counselling with a view to working in that kind of area. I did finish the major studies which I loved and learned more about my self than I thought possible. However I came unstuck when I began on biblical studies.

I discovered that the bible and Jesus simply do not stand up under the rigours of academic enquiry. The bible and the life of the christ are based on myth at best and hearsay/outright lies at worst.

I realised I could not believe this stuff and maintain my personal integrity at the same time. I entered possibly the the worst period of my life, it felt like an abyss. Fortunately it only took about 6 mths to work my way through it and I have been an atheist for more than 20 years now.

Excellent post.

I have always questioned religion (my parents were fairly progressive people). But when I came to the conclusion that there was no God as an adult, I found myself feeling a bit of a loss. But I got over it , it wasn't the worst time in my life fortunately.

You nailed it, Veronica. I too grew up a roman catholic, with strict adherence to all the dogma. And in my late teens, early twenties I took religious studies and retreats alongside religious novitiates to strngthen my faith. It ended up cracking it wide open.
I felt as though I had fallen off a cliff, it was a very scary few months. Until I realised that the world worked quite well without a deity, in fact, it worked better.
Devout atheist ever since.

it doesn't make sense, and it's completely nonsensical.

First is the evidence thing, of which there is none, and second is when you realize that religions were made up by humans for a purpose. That purpose was for early state societies to exert a moral code, or a means of social control over the population.

My parents didn't let them get to me when I was a child so I just don't understand. I don't have any comprehension of God centeredness.

Because it's not true and I like to live in and deal with reality on a daily basis. That is tough enough without having to deal with the made-up and mystical.

I am evidence based instead of faith based. Evidence leads us to truth whereas faith accepts something as true. Children have faith Santa Claus is real but that belief does not make it true.

Its alllll bullshit and lies

For me the pendulum has now swung in both directions. I spent more than 40 years very active in a demanding church and held leadership positions. Then, in January of 2014, my wife and I abruptly resigned our membership due to finding on YouTube that the history claims of the church were a mountain of lies. My eyes were also opened to the fact that the entire Noah story is incomprehensible and impossible. So, for the past few years I've concluded, 'There is no one God, but there does seem to be great evidence for a universal consciousness in the Universe. Then... a few months ago... I read the first two books by Robert Monroe, and the "Journeys Out of the Body" by William Buhlman, and I was blown away. Finally, something that makes perfect sense and clearly answers almost all of the questions I had. The great thing was, I was able to read the book "Journeys Out of the Body" without having to spend a penny... as that it's free, online, as a PDF. So, I still don't believe there's just one 'God', but now it makes perfect sense that we are progressing through dimensions, and we're in this one right now because it is the most dense and has the lowest frequency, and are here to learn. (Damned cool book.)

I will also add, here, that in my opinion every person who has left religion will find at least some of the answers they are seeking in the William Buhlman book. (If you need any further motivation... Chapter 15 of one of the Robert Monroe books is titled, "Astral Sex". 😉

Because it is just fairy stories for adults. Most of what is said in the Bible is stolen from other cultures and their mythologies.

Grown ups shouldn't believe in fairy tales. It's to to end the propagation of ignorance, political influence, and confidence scam that is religion.

JimG Level 8 Nov 8, 2017

I went to Catholic Elementary school-complete with Hell-Fire paddle wielding nuns who would try to whack your little ass into anything they couldnt talk it into........

I was lucky. I was born into an atheist family. Public school for me.

Because religion is a lie.

It is a form of control based on fear of a very earthly punishment.

Let's start with common sense. Religion was invented by humans in ancient times to explain the unexplainable. It has since been used as a tool of control and oppression, especially against women.

Because religion is the invention of few wise guys who realized the human mind is extremely impressionable and therefore can be manipulated to serve a given purpose.

For me personally it's not so much the ideas or teachings, i don't buy all of that, yes, but it
s more about the individuals...the practicers rather than what is practiced. My Granny was religious and she would NEVER have in a million years picketed the funeral of a Gay solider. or been involved with anyone who would bomb an Abortion Clinic. her Jesus helped the poor healed the sick and fed the hungry. Her Jesus didn't go around saying God hates fags or I hate you because you're a man who loves a man. And it's this idea that we should have bibles in public schools and make a law at the top level banning abortion or gay marriage. They have no argument against gay marriage other than they think their bible says so. there's no legal reason I digress. There is way too much hypocrisy and the list goes on and on why I call bullshit on religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.