Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion causes so much harm. From hating Jews because "they killed Jesus" to the years of them Inquisition to Puritans killing Quakers, to being OK with slavery and killing the godless indigenous populations, to stealing resources from other, less Christian countries, to the crazy discrimination we are seeking to allow against LGBT folks, to the suddigation of womes. We should outlaw that religion ever takes precedence over science. What I believe now is my one question now is who/what caused the big bang. Every thing was invented by man to gain power, control and wealth.

I no longer think about it enough to really reject it. Religion is not only highly improbable, it is also impossibly boring. There are so many more interesting ideas to think, talk and write about. I'm amazed that it captures so many people.

How long did it take you to get to the point where you no longer think about it? Also, I would ask, why join a community such as this, if that were true? (I realize that may sound rude, but I assure you, I mean no Ill will, just curious.) 🙂

@jayknostic I don't think about it much. I was wrong but I assumed when I joined most people would be talking about stuff other than religion.I wasnt thinking about all the recovery issues related to religion

There's just too many of them. And everyone believes in their own so adamantly, with such faith, that I can't STAND the thought of someone who has so much faith in one belief dying, then being told they're going to Hell because they "got it wrong"

I was raised by a Jew & an Irish Catholic and have seen plenty of evidence from an early age that religion does more harm than it does good simply by observing conflicts within my own inner family circle. This assumption was only strengthened over time by reading/studying the history of religion, as well as witnessing plenty of tragic scandals among various religious communities big & small....other than the obvious war mongering and murder done in the name of God, I take huge issue with child abuse culture inside religious communities.

Right now, there is huge push against the Mormon church and child abuse issues by bishops who interview young kids behind closed doors about sexuality. Things these people have gone through. Horrendous. Will make u cry.

Im intelligent. I read. I put "my faith" in tangible science.

Real stuff can be jaw-dropping though can't it?

I believe solely in evolution the bible doesn't explain prehistoric animal's they most have existed because of their fossil's

The main reason I reject it is because I think it does more harm than good. Most of the wars can be traced back to a religious origin. I also think it causes terrible legislators to get into power.

Marathon would be different if not for religion. The major greek wars too. Now just because it isn't the crusades doesn't mean religion isn't involved. Christian god was blessing both sides poster wise in recent world wars.

1. Religious people so called filled to the brim with a God who teaches them in their minds, yet they come out with so much ridiculous hypocrisies and clearly suffer from psychological sicknesses if I might use that simple term.
  2. After years of studying and obtaining Degrees in the field of Religion, the studying of that proved conclusively that although many of them had some historical factual data that I learned that the apologetic s part of it was at the least simply hypocritical and at the worst deadly (yes, I mean murderous in many cultures) pathological cover up nonsense that hurts and was responsible for the direct murders of as stated by many historians about 800,000,000 people.
    I would say that did it for me. I am thankful to have transcended it and its fear based systems to hold people into something so irrational and mystical.

It's not true. It's as simple as that, I can't force myself into accepting a lie.

Because we live in a world that thinks Pastafarianism is religion. That was supposed to be a joke about teaching creationism over evolution in schools. The flying spaghetti monster is just as valid and has as much right to be taught. Not realising the lighthearted tug at the ridiculousness of religion as its source (and fact-checking) some people think its legit.
I saw a kid more willing to believe in psychical storage or memories, as in the power of the brain and sciences ability to learn more and more about what makes us and the world work (that is amazing) then a neurology student. Why? Because that would mean that you're not a soul.
Birds have hollow bones and catch wind currents to fly. That's real. Volcanic lightning storms, real. Phantom touch. Real. Santa. Nope but based on the green man.
Finding the answers has way more wonder in it than god did it.

A control device over weak minds. The idea rejects itself from any thinking being's consideration. If your weak, find a god. Or grow a pair.....

I grew up in a pentecostal home, with a mother who is still the "music director/pianist" for the church.

I've seen it all man... "speaking in tounges", "slayn in the spirit", endless rants and endless days or evenings of "worship"... I was grounded if I didn't go to church 3 times a week.

So many stories...

I was taught about Hell as a toddler, and terrified of it, and all that goes with it.

I was taught that if you read anything other than the Bible, you'd be "in danger of Hell fire"... so many more things...

The christian religion has drivin my mother loopy, I can barely stand to be around her, and that's sad to me, because I love her.

When I was 18, I was hit by a truck and awoke from a 2 week coma... I was given a copy of "The be here now" and I started the life long research into "what, where, who, why, when, how, religion came to be in the first place...and it's been 24 years of it now...and I'm still continuing to expand my mind every day.

"Religion" is like a disease to me. It has destroyed my relationship with most of my family, because I have enough sense to think for myself.

That being said, I don't need to be religious to be a loving, kind, thoughtful, charitable, empathetic man.

Must be hard when you have a family of believers.

Stephen Fry's response is exactly why I reject religion. I do not have time to waste on this Earth thinking about "what's next" when I truly won't give a shit because I'll be dead. I hope my energy is transformed into a future star so it can then be later exploded across a galaxy and destroy a ton of stuff on the way. And should I discover that I was "wrong" about god, well, I guess I'll have to explain to it what it did was reproachable and unforgivable and that it will need to spend the rest of eternity begging for my forgiveness; however, I would never forgive it.

I do not reject religion, I reject the concept of an interfering god. Many religious teachings are being linked to Quantum Physics today. The more we learn about that the more sense some of the older religions make. Our push towards evolution is built on better understanding of some of the ancient beliefs, which have been totally corrupted or obscured.

Because the search for truth is far more rewarding than just accepting that "god" did it.

I don't reject the idea of religion - I reject religion.

Look at what all the religions of the world have brought us.

I don't. That is like rejecting the idea of cruises. I don't take cruises. Some cruises are probably better than other cruises. I don't want anyone telling me I have to take a cruise. But for some people cruises could be a positive aspect of their lives. Cruises have existed as long as mankind has had a functional brain, more or less. Rejectng the notion of them is similar to wearing blinders, is it not?

Religion is different then belief in god(s). Religion is a man made construct to use,manipulate,segrigate and enslave ignorant masses. You can however have belief in god(s) withiut conforming to a religion.

Construct of fallible humanity too often used to the detriment of humanity

I only reject the idea of evil.

I reject the concept of religion as all are man made for the power and the glory of men and the complete subjugation of women.
I do have a small place in my heart for Lillith, however, before she was demonised and replaced by the buttercup, rib girl Eve!

Totally agree. Thankyou for sharing

Simply put, religion, any religion, cannot live up to the proclamation of being a true source for spiritual growth, enlightenment, and morality. Religion is the construct of human hands, of imperfect beings, therefor religion is inherently imperfect as well, and the arguments defending these imperfections are shallow at best.

I do believe in a God despite the lack of any hard evidence, however I do not believe in religion. You can take from gems from it, but feel free to discard the rest of the garbage.

I don't. I just reject the supernatural.

I'm an Atheopagan, a naturalistic, Earth-honoring religious path. We don't believe in gods or magic or the soul or spirits or any of that junk, just the real Universe. Our celebrations and rites are to help us be happier, wiser, and kinder in the world. More info at atheopaganism.wordpress.com.

Because I am in love with the truth

Because when I 1st rejected religion they followed up with hate/harassment and I didn't want my future children to be around people that say its ok to treat people this way since they're not like you. Plus the whole murder non-xtians thing they had in the past with slavery and their casual its just a test statement, just proves that their religion is testing to see how far someone would go for themselves and honestly it scary to see someone do and say something so fucked up only for them to be supported by the large number of people who are saying its ok to not listen to them.
But than again we see that everywhere we go. In school I remember someone making fun of this kid cause he had on a fake shoe brand. More than 3/4 of the class laughed at him including me, but I was only laughing just to fit in. Eventually I stopped follow the evidential asshole who fed off of making people suffer for their own benefit and I realized how similar bullying was to the xtian religion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.