Agnostic.com

18 10

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos

Has anyone watched Carl Sagan’s tv show, Cosmos? If so, how has it impacted you?

chris5832 4 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh wow! I was 19 years old, bong in hand and watching the original series on PBS . I was hooked from the first episode. Watched the whole series. Carl Sagan had the most sincere speaking voice. He put complex theories and intricate formulas into terms the "common" person could understand. He brought science and logic into the mind of this young dumb kid. He made me realize for the first time that even without god and religion our very existence is still amazing and purposeful.

You are talking about the 1980 TV mini-series Cosmos, right? Because "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey" (2014) only clips of Carl Sagan appeared in the show. Sagan died in 1996. I watched the 1980 show in 1980, then read the book.

@chris5832 He had a way of bringing science to the masses. A front man for science, if you will. I only disagreed with his one assertion that if aliens did come here, because their technology would require a planetary scale effort, that they would be peaceful.

Now that's Reality Television!

I think both are great. A new season is coming for the reboot with NDT! 😀

I was 21 when I binge watched it on my laptop. I fell in love with Carl Sagan ?
I have reserved watching it for days when I am super down!

Every episode, and it had a tremendous effect on my life. I was already an atheist but it taught me to have a passion for our place on this earth and in this universe, and to appreciate "the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides" (that quote is Carl's but not form Cosmos). I read the book too. NDT's show isn't as good but I really appreciate Seth McFarland's efforts to make it happen, and can't wait for season 2.

One of the best programmes made.

Coldo Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

AWESOME!

Watched in on public television decades ago. A masterpiece.

The Seth McFarlane/Neil Degrasse Tyson Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is also very good and worth purchasing the bluray set.

Oh yes! I watched it when it first aired and it was a major reason I chose a career in science.

David Attenborough's Life on Earth was another important series from the same period. A very powerful and beautiful explanation of evolution.

I missed Sagan's Cosmos. Is there anywhere it can be seen now? I think I've done a search on all my subscriptions and couldn't find it.

You can find many episodes on youtube.
I've watched quit a few there.

Excellent series.

Sagan was great

made me rethink the way i pronounce BBillions and BBillions

Watched it when it was new and many times in reruns. Of course it’s awesome and makes you wonder how religious people can ignore science.

I watched it ‘in the day.’ It complimented my fascination with ‘space’ … as I hoped it would open the eyes & minds of many more… Thinking back ..Carl Sagan was the Tom Petty of Astrophysics, simply cool 🙂

Varn Level 8 Aug 8, 2018

I wish I could like this comment 100 times just for acknowledging that Tom Petty was the coolest person ever. 🙂

I remember it well.
It had a huge impact in my life.
It gave me a much better understanding, and the fascination of Science.

I also really enjoyed the remake with Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

He was a giant intellect and great communicator. The television series was inspirational.

I loved his show. For 20 years I lived on 10 acres away from lights. Night sky was a joy to view. Now we have DeGrasse Tyson. Wonderful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151062
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.