Agnostic.com

76 17

Where are you when you feel most alive and full of wonder?

I wonder a lot, and ask a lot of questions. πŸ™‚

Outside, on a mountain, driving with the windows down, sitting in silence on a beach, or a forest, or a desert.
Surrounded by art. Music, visual, dramatic, new foods and flavors.
Engaged in conversation about something important, to the other person or myself. Deep conversations, even silly conversations, that grow in depth for fun.
Discovering new knowledge and experiences, listening, reading, watching, learning.
Road trips.
Meeting strangers with something to say.
Cultural experiences.

"Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious." ~Stephen Hawking

Stacey48 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a tree or field but I don't climb very much any more. Feet tingle too much to be sure of my footing. Most of my thrills today are in front of a screen.

I when I am paddle boarding or surfing. No matter how many people are out, I am in my own world.

Yeah, surfing did that for me, too. Even just driving to the surfspot, when I came up over the rise on the road and saw all that whitewater, I'd get butterflies in the belly.

@Condor5, Jjust paddling out, once I hit the water, there is nothing else like it.

@Woodron I used to say the waves were my church.

The time of day when the sun starts going down making everything golden.

Either outside at night under the stars or amongst a group of small children

@Stacey48 Absolutely. I work with adult children. But much prefer the smaller ones πŸ˜€

I love hiking to alpine lakes surrounded by white glaciers and jagged mountain peaks. After dark, I look up and feel awed by the glowing Milky Way and billions of sparkling stars. We all need more low-level ecstasy in our lives.

Hiking is an uplifting, transcendent experience for me. I feel most centered and grounded high in the mountains.

Seeing Impressionist paintings.

Listening to smooth, live jazz music.

Walking through an increasingly rare, old growth forest. A sanctuary.

@Stacey48

Thank you, Stacey. I feel lucky to live in North Central Washington.

No question - high up in the mountains

Mostly when I am creating something. The process since conception, through every improvement all the way to completion, to me that's priceless

I understand what you mean, I do that with writing music.

@TristanNuvo it does work with any process where the ultimate goal is to have a final product. I can see how that would work pleasantly with music

In the Pub, playing my flute 😊

@Stacey48 Hi, would you like a link to a video about West African music, it’s the best thing i’ve seen in ages, i went to Senegal to learn Percussion and this is really it ? Steve is my name.

@Stacey48

@JustLynnie You play Djembe too ?

Doing something fun I enjoy.
Doing something fun I enjoy with someone I love.
In an amazing nature setting.
Walking down a NYC street.
Doing something creative.
Lying in bed at night falling calmly asleep.
Having wonderful, insightful, and funny conversations.
Sitting in meditation or reflection.
Watching a sunrise, sunset, or a night full of stars.

Nothing like an electric storm in the distance.
Outside in the crisp cool air away form light pollution and being able to see the milky way
Seeing an Aurora Borealis
Vacationing in a foreign country and finding little known treasures
Camping
All of these activities when shared with my love one and children

@Stacey48 they are fascinating to watch. You think they are stable but they move slowly and before you know it the pattern shifts or the colour. You also always expect to hear a sound.
I also forgot to add to my list: a total eclipse of the sun (Aug 2017) was somewhat life changing.

@Stacey48 My wife and I drove to SC, spent a couple days camping there to chase the eclipse and did some campsite hoping on our way back up the coast.

Zipping down a dicey singletrack on my mountainbike, half-in/half-out of control; I often wonder how I haven't yet broken my fool neck.

@Stacey48 it certainly keeps one focused.

drinking afternoon coffee on the porch watching the rain give way to a sunny steam, and dripping edges.

Sequoia, walking among those big trees, you can almost feel their energy

gater Level 7 Aug 11, 2018

Most full of Wonder...
Looking up at the stars on the Hook Peninsula Wexford.

Most Alive...
Sitting on a beach on A stormy winters day, watching the waves crash in..the wind howling..throwing rain an sea spray into my face.

Most Relaxed..
Lying on the sofa..lights dimmed down low..candles lit..Listening to Bach...drinking good red wine..

Most Hilarious..
Narrating wildlife shows on TV in funny voices while shitfaced on wine.

@Stacey48

Why thank you 48...I have a feeling you do that stuff too. Fun isn't it?

@Stacey48 I added a fourth...you may identify with...?

There is a place I used to go to. It was a measly 3500 feet elevation, but bears screeched and crickets roared. There was nothing but you and the mountain. That was where I found love of life.

@Stacey48
Thank you.

Star gazing!

in nature

I like the quiet and stillness of night (I'm a night owl) there is a certain peacefulness (is that even a word--oh well) to it that recharges me. Also, looking up at the night sky, in the middle of nowhere with not too much light pollution is awe-inspiring.

The moment my lyrics are put to melody. They are dead, quiet things that suddenly spring to life. There is nothing like hearing your music being played and enjoyed!

@Stacey48 Thanks!

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

The truly amazing moments, the ones many people might describe as β€œspiritual,” usually happen unexpectedly. They are likely to happen under many of the circumstances you mentioned. I’m an introvert, so the experiences I enjoy most are connecting with something beautiful, whether it’s nature or music or art. The best visual experiences are the ones where you see something with fresh eyes; or as if for the first time; or when your mind randomly decides to disconnect from meaning and just appreciates something for its aesthetic qualities of color, shape, pattern, scale, etc. These fleeting moments trigger the pleasure centers or can elicit a strong emotional response and it’s not always clear why.

As soon as the coffee hits.

Anywhere in the wilderness. The farther from civilization the better.

Dew25 Level 7 Aug 11, 2018

Some might say hiking, playing music, walking down a beach or some such, but, honestly, I have to refer to Don Henley β€œDon't you know that women are the only works of art.”

@Stacey48
Thanks for saying that.

I am most alive when I am camping under a clear night sky and can see the stars. I ponder the universe and think of how small we really are, living about 6 feet from the ground of this minuscule planet twisting through the galaxy being dragged by a tiny fire ball at an astronomical speed!

@Stacey48 yes, best part is, I don’t need religion to appreciate it!!

@Stacey48 Amen! ?

When I am riding my horse. When I am sitting in my back yard, here on the farm. Before I retired, attending a birth, and holding the baby's head as it emerged from it's mommas. When I get in my car and head out on I 90, toward the west. When I am at the ocean. In a thunderstorm or a blizzard.

@Stacey48 it is an amazing experience. I was honored to deliver a little over 1,000 babies during my years of practice. Each one was as awe inspiring as the first.

@Stacey48 I was a nurse in labor and delivery for 15 years, then a midwife for 20 years. I retired when I was 68, but once a midwife, always a midwife. We have had horse foals, a donkey foal, and several litters of piglets, so now I am at all those births. I miss midwifery, but I was happy to retire and have time to do other things that i love, so it was time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.