Agnostic.com

41 1

How do you respond to religious conversation?

Ok I know this could vary depending on the circumstances, at least for some folks, so here's the hypothetical scenario. A man walks up to you after having noticed your lovely agnostic.com Tshirt. he asks "I see you are agnostic. But may I ask if you have ever had a close relationship with God?" How do you react? Feel free to comment in order to elaborate or to suggest an alternative scenario.

• 0 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 42 votes
Byrd 7 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I put Intrigue, but my answer would be "Engage in conversation". I actually filled in as youth pastor one summer for our Teen Ministry, and is what lead me to research (b/c I didn't want to mis-represent anything) and eventually walk away from my faith. I really do enjoy talking to Christians about their faith, b/c I have read/studied the bible, researched the history of early christianity and how the church today came about, and am able to quote back scripture to them that undermines their beliefs. First - it gets them to see how to use critical thinking skills to evaluate what they just accept as truth, and from their own "Moral Authority Guidebook. Second - shows them that I am not an evil Hitler-loving Nazi Satanist. My travels overseas in the Marine Corps taught me that once you start to understand the point of view of others, you see them just as a person who isn't really that different from yourself. That is the best weapon IMHO against small minded people, to plant seeds that will hopefully one day expand their minds.

Me too, I wear my Atheism on my sleeve but was raised a Christian. I have no problem talking to them.

I try to be friendly to almost everyone. But I will be curt and just say no thanks. I told the Jehovah's Witnesses that I occasionally went to the Unitarian society. They had no idea who that was. So I gave them some history starting in the 13 or14 hundreds as non Trinitarians. At which point they are like we are long lost cousins. Uh, no, and even in Romania where the Unitarians haven't joined the Universalists, and still consider themselves Christian, they would gag at being compared to a Jehovah's Witness.

Let him know that I'm an atheist not agnostic. So I've haven't had a relationship with a nonexistent intity after 5 years when my invisible twin sister was replaced by a very real brother.

I listen to what they have to say, then explain to them why I feel the way I do about religion. I have been known to discuss religion with Mormons, Christians, Jews, Muslims and even once with a Jehovah's Witness.

I've been through this enough times. I used to take the time to engage the religionists in conversation, but I found in time that they're not really listening.

I analyze the person during the conversation it is so easy to run into brick walls it's rare but some people can actually maintain a civil conversation without getting emotionally involved. I use to work myself over with people who are so emotional about it.

I did once; but he left before morning.

I have a problem if the situation occurs at work. I really do not know what to say to the offending person. I do not want to start and argument but I don't want to take their BS. I usually just shut-up and walk away. Otherwise, I am intrigued and will discuss religion with the best of them.

Ahh, work is the worst. I taught, so most coworkers kept their religion to themselves. I did work with a Mormon. Quite annoying at times, always smiling and prying. But wait, it got worse. He left the Mormon church and went back to his family roots as orthodox Jews. I have a lot of great Jewish friends; he us not, nor never will be one.

@Beowulfsfriend An evangelical Jew. I know a few myself having wanting to become a Cantor when I was a kid. It is just as difficult to argue with them as evangelical Christians.

I put it this way, I ain't interfering with yer divine creator's omniscient plan. I am not participating either. Shame your heavenly father chose to keep that information to himself, eh.

I just don't participate in the conversation.

It depends on my mood. Anger, disdain, annoyance, uninterest or I simply walk away.

Much like dealing with children, I am polite but firm in the I don't want to discuss this with you.

Amusement. I might say something like, "Nah. Full blown atheist."

Mostly indifferent, although if someone wants to have an intellectually honest and substantive discussion about it, I'm up for it. However in practice, apart from forums like this (and most often, even ON forums like this) there is no such thing as an intellectually honest and open theist. They cannot support their beliefs, only "defend" them. And then they quickly find themselves on the losing end of the bargain, and then they see it as an existential attack / threat, and they become angry and defensive, and hilarity ensues.

As with all idiotic ideas I feel the need to enlighten, like it or not. Funnily enough I don't seem to have any religious friends, or at least willing to admit to their foolishness.

I tend to engage with them if they can intelligently discuss my views as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:154253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.