Agnostic.com

15 4

I really wonder what is wrong with these people who deny climate warming. I am seeing the results in the extreme roller coaster temps we have been experiencing. We have been going from well below zero to the 40's Farenheit and back again (now) and will be in the mid 40's next week. I found a dead doe this morning and spent the morning chasing goats down to treat them for illness. I'm just an uneducated farmer and I can see firsthand how real climate warming is and is very real!

misstuffy 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The kind of people that don’t care and want to stay blind.

Many people do not care about climate change for various reasons. People continue to buy big cars and trucks RVs and boats. We still need trains and ships and airplanes and then we need large amounts of electricity which mainly uses hydrocarbon fuels. Even the supposedly green people don't change their lifestyle they keep using large amounts of energy for their comfort. Now my thinking is since nobody wants to change their ways we need to plan for climate change move out of the low-lying lands and if you're lucky move higher into the mountains where it will be cooler. We need to quit draining freshwater off the land because we will need it for irrigation and other uses. The whole thing has gone too far and nobody is going to change the way they live until they are forced to. So let's start planning for a warmer world and if it doesn't happen and will be in good shape either way

dc65 Level 7 Jan 21, 2018

One big issue is we allowed ourselves to overpopulate this planet to the point we are way put of balance with the rest of nature. We as a species are too successful. I for one would love to see more berm type homes since we are in tornadoe alley and at this time of year myself and my livestock would both be better off if our homes were insulated by the earth itself.

@misstuffy How many children did you add to the world population?
I added three children to world population.

Many people voluntarily put on blinders, and stuff their ears, and deny truths all around them, so as to not disturb their neatly laid out make-beliefs, and non-facts.

How would we have the orange creature in the White House otherwise ?

Many people do not care about climate change for various reasons. People continue to buy big cars and trucks RVs and boats. We still need trains and ships and airplanes and then we need large amounts of electricity which mainly uses hydrocarbon fuels. Even the supposedly green people don't change their lifestyle they keep using large amounts of energy for their comfort. Now my thinking is since nobody wants to change their ways we need to plan for climate change move out of the low-lying lands and if you're lucky move higher into the mountains where it will be cooler. We need to quit draining freshwater off the land because we will need it for irrigation and other uses. The whole thing has gone too far and nobody is going to change the way they live until they are forced to. So let's start planning for a warmer world and if it doesn't happen and will be in good shape either way

none so blind as those who will not see

Hi Misstuffy, alot of mis information has been put out by interest groups who benefit by denying climate change such as the oil barons,the factories that are spewing out and polluting the atmosphere and even paying some scientists to make those claims,so no wonder a lot of people are sucked in by it.

Everyone has their own experts that is for sure. I believe this is partly the natural cycle of climate change accelerated by humans love of fossil fueled energy.

I had a doe drop triplet kids right before I got home from work It is -3F here so I brought the babies in the house and milked mom for colostrum. I have never had so much trouble keeping goats healthy as I am right now.

The discussion about climate seems to get me in hot water. There is climate, climate change, global warming, global cooling, man made climate change, man made global warming. You are the first to suggest climate warming". My sympathies for the animals that are suffering in your care.

Ity isnt just mine. I noticed the neighbors across the road had a dead heifer by the gate. I have talked to several of my peers and they too are having issues. We are in Iowa.

Do you have a military base or airport upwind from you? Similar things happened to my grandparents place near Buffalo New York?

I have heard conservatives say that it's a conspiracy to the extent that if you want a federal grant to deal research you best put climate change in the mix. This may be true to an extent. What they don't understand is science. All the world's scientists are not getting together to fool everyone. In fact if just one scientists could prove the data was wrong She would be the world's most important, sought after scientist on the planet..

If someone presents a hypothesis it becomes anyone, and everyone's opening to prove them wrong. They don't even have to be scientists. The ones who can have the most clout.

So it can't be a conspiracy because their is always some idiot out there that wants recognition, is a rival scientist, or comes from a rival country. There is a lot to be gained by many people for proving a scientific working hypothesis wrong.

But the right wing and evangelicals deny the evidence. Perhaps because they do not understand science.

One thing when it comes to climate change, every legitimate scientist (regardless of their country/politics) agree climate change is real. only those pseudo scientists that insist Noahs Ark was real and carried dinosaurs disagree.

@misstuffy I would love to be the scientist that did. One it would be a encouraging discovery. Two, they would have to make grand millennial Nobel prize!

Even the people that are supposedly going green do not reduce their energy consumption they all want air conditioning automatic washing machines automobiles recreational boats and RVs and all these products require large amounts of energy to produce nobody has any conception how much energy it takes to produce 1 ton of steel 1 ton of aluminum 100 yd.³ of cement and the list goes on and the rest of the world wants all these luxuries also. A real truth about CO2 emissions is it's growing at 1% to1.5% a year and nobody is going to stop using energy so we should be planning for global warming and learn to live in a warmer climate. The rest of the world wants the same thing Americans have. If you believe CO2 is causing global warming the best technology we have to eliminate carbon dioxide released to the atmosphere is nuclear energy. With a surplus of energy the oil companies can convert CO2 back to hydrocarbon fuels and other products. Nuclear energy can be done safely the French have been doing it for many years now.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 15, 2018

Bait and switch discussion is a big nuke sell fail GREEN IS THE ONLY CHOICE nukes and poison fuels is killing kids and elders

@GreenAtheist it is always left for the other person to stop emitting carbon dioxide but there is not enough other people, what have you done to reduce your carbon dioxide output?

@dc65 what have I done to stop a pick pocket when the bank robbers are robbing. ? False leading question. ...I have been recycling for 44 years. ...testified against polluters at regulatory hearings. ...reduced our family car operations from 2 to 1 commuter bicyclist since 1981. ...I need not entertain diversions from the big problem by discussion of only little problem

When you have "carbon credits" you can buy those to offset your polluting. I think those are such a farce. If your factory is spewing off so many pollutants parts per billion and you buy these offsets doesnt mean you are not still polluting at the same rate. It just means you have the blessing of the EPA.

@GreenAtheist Many people do not care about climate change for various reasons. People continue to buy big cars and trucks RVs and boats. We still need trains and ships and airplanes and then we need large amounts of electricity which mainly uses hydrocarbon fuels. Even the supposedly green people don't change their lifestyle they keep using large amounts of energy for their comfort. Now my thinking is since nobody wants to change their ways we need to plan for climate change move out of the low-lying lands and if you're lucky move higher into the mountains where it will be cooler. We need to quit draining freshwater off the land because we will need it for irrigation and other uses. The whole thing has gone too far and nobody is going to change the way they live until they are forced to. So let's start planning for a warmer world and if it doesn't happen and will be in good shape either way

So much to cover . . . First, the most basic question. Is Earth's climate changing? Of course it is. It always has. Earth's climate began to change from the moment Earth formed throughout time and is still changing today. In some respects it goes through cycles -- wetter vs. drier, warmer vs. cooler, etc. Climate change is not only happening, it is a normal occurrence. This is one of the reasons I bristle at the term "climate change denier." I don't think there are very many people who truly believe the climate is static.

Second, since climate change began long before humans appeared on the planet, no, climate change is not "caused" by humans. Stating this often riles people up, but the fact that the climate would change whether or not humans existed proves that it is not caused by humans. To claim otherwise is to claim that climate would not change if humans did not exist, which is false. This is why I bristle at the term "man-made climate change." It implies that the climate would not change if not for humans, which is entirely false.

Third, since we've established that climate change is a normal occurrence and that it is not caused by humans, the next question would then be, "Does human activity impact climate?" I've heard many claim that it does not, that the Earth is so vast and the atmosphere so voluminous that human impact, if any, is insignificant and that any climactic influence is localized at best. Basically, they are claiming that it is impossible for human activity to alter the natural climactic changes that are inherent to the planet. This is false. What I will typically point out to those who believe this is that at one time Earth had virtually no oxygen in its atmosphere, but the slow, gradual production of oxygen by early organisms that had evolved photosynthesis filled Earth's atmosphere with oxygen.

Sure, it took hundreds of thousands of years to increase the oxygen to levels sufficient to support respiration of animals, but it happened. So to think that continuous release into the atmosphere by humans of carbon dioxide, methane, and other compounds and general pollutants cannot have a significant effect on the composition of the atmosphere is either ignorance or simple denial. The evidence that human activity is slowly changing the composition of the atmosphere is plentiful and appears valid, and these changes have no less an impact on climate than other, more "natural" factors. However, human activity is one factor we can control, at least in principle.

Finally we get to the question about how to respond. Is it the responsibility of the governments of the world to combat climate change? I argue that it is not. Placing the responsibility with government is the wrong place to put it. Governments have historically created far more problems than they have solved. This is why governments tend to be rather short-lived on this planet. They rise and fall with regularity. If they were good at solving problems, don't you think they would last longer? What is needed here is not government trying to control who is doing what to the atmosphere. What is needed is innovative ways to change how things are being done to make them less impactful to the environment, innovative ways to "scrub" the atmosphere to at least partially reverse the damage that is done, and, perhaps most importantly, for people to realize that this isn't someone else's problem to solve but rather everyone's problem to solve. Each and every one of us, or our descendants, will either benefit from real solutions or suffer from the lack of them.

The issues are complex. Some regions of the planet are in a position to effect positive change through innovation and novel new solutions to the problem. Other regions, not so much. This seems too important of a problem to rely on the political will of others to solve the problem. We have seen many times in the past how bad outcomes can arise from putting too much trust in those who would rule the masses. The goal here, it seems to me, is not to stop climate change -- we would certainly fail in that endeavor. The goal is to minimize the impact of human activity on climate change.

Government is not where the solution will materialize. It is the people who must solve the problem or, alternatively, adapt to a warmer planet.

(Now stepping off of my soapbox. Thanks for reading.)

That is not very scientific just taking somebody else's word from what I understand
carbon dioxide only affects a narrow band of infrared spectrum approximately 650 nm
oxygen is about 850 nm radiation most other gases absorb energy in narrow bands at
different frequencies and then release it at different frequencies in random
directions but only in a narrow band the whole system is very complicated which
nobody is making available to the public CO2 is very soluble in water and is
transported back to the ground in rainfall to make it available for the plants.
Also most of the energy is carried up to high altitudes by the water vapor
because water vapor is lighter than air atomic weight of water vapor is 18
oxygen is 32 because it is diatomic molecule , nitrogen is 28 diatomic molecule
and carbon dioxide is 44 atomic weight methane atomic weight is 16. My point is
the weather system is so complicated and they don't have all those parameters
programmed into the models and how they interact with the weather system so the
saying goes garbage in garbage out from the computer models. We still need
to do many years of research on this subject before we can draw a conclusion.

we know climate isnt static but it is accelerated by humanties interference and that is what most of us are referring to when we speak of manmade, I prefer to say human contribution to climate change.

@misstuffy in the 1960s they were talking about an ice age everybody likes to talk about the weather and climate change and human beings do contribute some of that is normal variations. I remember the 1960s I was working on my truck the rear end was so thick I had to melt the oil with a torch to get it to run out of the differential.

The polluters are melting polar ICE BELOW FREEZING TEMPS toxic fuels act like salt on snow....the carbon heats up just a little to fuck up mother earth in all the wrong places. ...glaciers are almost gone skiers don't have a prEyer for their deepest runs to replenish each year. ...murder all the honey bees and watch food skyrocket in price due to human hand pollination

It use to be called 'Global Warming'

It seems likely to me, based on the layman's research I've done, that climate change is happening, and primarily through human-driven causes this time around.

I am always averse to use weather as evidence, though, because that's too easy for average non-scientists to counter in an argument. It's too incidental and transient to rely on there. Even weather trend data can't offer enough compelling evidence that human contribution is a factor.

This situation, like all other situations that require trusting sciences that can be difficult to comprehend, has to be approached in terms of risk management in order to win over the most difficult and unreasonable skeptics. In order to do that effectively, we have to STOP using arguments that are less reasonable, like incidental local weather patterns.

Frankly, I think they hurt the cause.

I have to disagree, weather trends are part of the overall larger picture here. Yes they are short term but tracking them, is there a pattern that is repeating itself and deepening from year to year?

@misstuffy I honestly don't think we disagree. Yes, weather trends over time do tell the story. My point is that it's a poor argument to use in a debate with people who, unlike us, don't really know any better and don't keep track of this stuff. Case in point, our President pointed to our recent extreme cold in the midwest and northeast and said, "See? Record cold temps - global warming is bunk!"

You and I know that's bullshit, but how do you debate when half his statement is true?

You use a better argument than weather trends, that's how.

@Shawno1972 I am in the midwest and have 7 goats in my basement and three newborns in my living room to save them from this bitter cold. I have never had to do that before! I am getting no sleep tonight as I check the barn to make sure all are ok. These roller coaster temps have my animals and those of my neighbors fighting pneumonia.

My daffodils were out last week - should be out around mid february.
Same last year too.

How sad. So cold today the wind just slapped my face-ouch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.