Agnostic.com

9 3

My son is always reluctant to tell me if he broke something he tends to hide something broken. I think he fears punishment even though I rarely punish and when, I do I only have him do exercises . His twin sister will tell me when something is broken or malfunctioning. I am guessing it is a maturity thing and he will grow out of it.

azzow2 9 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not having children on my own (yet), had similar issues with my niece.
My approach was to try teaching her that the sooner she reports what she got broken or what she did wrong - the faster we are going to fix it.
The only form of "punishment" I have ever applied was to make her take part in the fixing activities, while trying to make these mostly fun and never actually making it look like "punishment" or like I am putting blame on her.
In my opinion it worked.

Perhaps he is afraid of disappointing you.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 15, 2018

Could be it is a freudian issue more or less. I am far from traditional, might fear separation issues stemming from birth.

Chap, I absolutely don't want to tell you how to raise your kid, but are you sure using exercise as punishment is a good option? My worry would be that if he associates the two, he may develop an aversion to exercise which could be problematic in the future.

Hope you don't mind me saying that; like I say I don't want to sound like I'm saying you're wrong.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

I do not think they see that way often they go run around the house as fun.

@azzow2 In that case, you've clearly already done the groundwork and they see physical activity as fun 🙂

Just an observation but seems to me if someone wants truth out of a kid never ever punish them for telling it.
There is also something to be said for genetic personality traits. If you(global) want truth out of a kid, make it easy for them to volunteer it to you, no punishments.

He's just affraid of loosing your approval. Your way up there on respect list of his. He doesn't fear the exercise. Go take him somewhere and tell him how much he as a son and a person means to you. And he can talk to you anytime about anything. You got a pack with each other.

Punishment is probably not what he's avoiding. He most likely perceives you will be disappointed in him, and I guarantee that hurts much worse. The key to success in this lesson is to impart to him somehow that honesty in the face of a mistake is a thing to be proud of.

Great answer...

I guess like me you don't understand why. I have a boy and a girl, now she is just on 33 and he has just turned 31. Going back to when they were toddlers and even to this day, he will tell me, even if he has deliberately done the wrong thing. He just volunteers it. She will avoid it, as a toddler she would blame him, now she pretends things haven't happened or makes an excuse. When she was 4 and he was 3, she wrote his name on the wall of the house,expecting me to believe he had done it when she was caught, she was only practicing her writing, and not being bad, it was chalk and washed off. When he was 16 he took me aside and said, "I have done something you won't like, I knew you wouldn't approve, but I wanted to do it, so I did" I asked him what the repercussions should be, he suggested being grounded for a week, I said Fine, make it 2. That was the end of it.

That is the way to be.

As long as he doesn't hear when I did as a child he'll be fine. My parents would have said "god is going to punish you."

I try to never say that name nor do I believe in spiteing. I often say is that how you want to be treated when they do dome mischievous deed to each other.

Yeah, boot camp in the military. Give me 20 pushups for being disrespectful... it is "yes sir"... not "yeah"!!!!!

Not that tough just have them run the perimeter of the house their age (6) Don't want to make them hate me just need some form of compliance. lol

did not intend for the demon to be there put the number six in parentheses and that popped up.

@azzow2 And the funny thing is that we used to fucked up on purpose just to do extra pushups... boys being boys. But I think is great what you do with your children. My children are each 3 years apart so they never been that close. There are many ways to teach honesty and accountability. I learned early that lying will get me nowhere. That the truth will always be found. So always tried to get that reputation in the house of telling the truth. My plan was when I really, really need to lie I will be believed. I always considered myself the knaving smart one with no conscience or moral compass. he, he, ha.

To be fair children tend to be little demons at that age.

@Sethy Don't we know but don't ever let them know that... they will think they are "special little demons".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15470
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.