Agnostic.com

35 8

LINK 41% of men surveyed experienced sadness or irritability after sex

A first-of-its-kind study found men also exhibited a condition called “post-coital dysphoria” (PCD) that has previously been observed in women.

Forty-one percent of the male participants experienced PCD in their lifetime and 20% reported it happened to them in the preceding four weeks.

Feelings reported by the survey’s subjects varied from "I don't want to be touched and want to be left alone" to "I feel unsatisfied, annoyed and very fidgety. Some talked about feeling “emotionless and empty”

The results of the study show that how men view sex is much more complex and varied than assumed previously.

This condition can interfere with the interactions of the couple following sex. The study's author stressed that the postcoital stage—“the resolution”—is very important for building the intimacy of the couple. Those that “engage in talking, kissing, and cuddling following sexual activity report greater sexual and relationship satisfaction.

Scientists theorize it may have to do with the “dopamine rebound effect” when dopamine levels are lower after the sexual rush.

VictoriaNotes 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we need more precise definitions here. PCD after good sex or bad one? Number of simultaneous partners? MMF, MMMF, FMF or group?

zesty Level 7 Feb 23, 2019

I suppose in some instances it depends on who he had sex with.

To me, sex is more mental than physical. I love to cuddle to sleep after sex. Never felt any such sadness bullshit however.

I certainly tried my best to engage in post coital snuggling, conversation, afterplay, etc. My last wife jumped up after sex to head for the bathroom, and turned her back to me and shrugged off any contact when she got to bed. It was not a good feeling! And certainly avoided seconds!

Going to the bathroom after can help prevent urinary tract infections and is also a way to cleanup fluids and lube. So that’s common. But jumping up without a word and ignoring you after returning to bed says something about what’s was going on with her emotionally and/or physically. Speculating here, of course, but in similar situations my clients have reported that even if they had orgasms, they felt disconnected from their partners. Sometimes it’s mid-matched sexual styles/interests, sometimes its sexual pain or anger.

I never felt sadness or irritability after sex..........if memory serves 🙂

92% Get Sleepy after Sex, the other 8% fall asleep while think about round two!

Probably from knowing that is the moment that is farthest from the next sexual encounter

Maybe because It's over ...

Men smash-and-dash for multiple reasons. None of them are good:

1. He's a jerk.
    2.A player.
  2. Clueless - doesn't know what to do.
  3. He lied about his intentions to get sex.

What does "smash and dash" or anything else you mentioned have to do with it? Nowhere was any of that in the article.

A man can be in a relationship, have good intentions, not cheat, and not be the slightest bit conniving or deceiving......and still feel this effect.

@Piece2YourPuzzle

"Smash-and-dash" a new term for "Wham, Bam, Thanky Ma'am."

Urban Dictionary (Verb)

To have sex with an individual, and then after said intercourse, escape at the earliest convenience with/without the consent/knowledge of your partner.

@LiterateHiker I know what it is. You didn't answer the question though. That doesn't explain in the least the issue at hand. There are players that don't feel PCD.

Okay... How many Countries were included? A sampler less of at least 150 countries will be like.... Bogus! I reckon the "drug" to cure that will be in the market by next year.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.