Agnostic.com

6 1

Have you experienced the slap, kick, and punch of big pharma?

I will soon be attending my son's insulin pump class. I certainly hope the pump will not only be a good fit for him, but also, easy on my wallet. However, I have not been told this. Currently, with insurance (my ex and my insurance only covers a 90 day supply of prescriptions at a time), a 90 day supply of insulin (pen type) is over $700 including discount. That's not including his long-acting insulin (also pen type) taken at dinner of which a 90 day supply costs over $250 including discount. We have tried all avenues, searched out the actual named products of distributors for discounts. We even got his doctor to appeal the 90 day supply and won! (We still have to pay that amount but at least it's in 30 day increments as he may or not require a certain amount) Luckily we are covered well for durable medical equipment, otherwise it's at least $1.00 a test strip and close to $100 for a 90 day supply of other incidentals. I cannot imagine NOT having insurance or not having a job. Glad I have FSA for it. Big pharma is a bitch.

Have you experienced the slap, kick and punch of big pharma?

MyLiege 7 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Big pharma is one many problems in our health care, but it is major problem. It seems very wrong that they sell to Canada for less. Most Americans are not wealthy and can't afford the costs of many drugs. I know about those test strips, they are very expensive. Sorry you have to bear such a burden, and your son has to suffer this disease.

The weird thing is, the glucose meter is really inexpensive. I just bought one for my daughter for less than $20 since her doctor didn't prescribe one for her (she's been diagnosed with pre-diabetes). Since I had several boxes of the strips, I sent her three boxes of two vials which is enough for several months of testing; otherwise those would have cost like $50 for two vials.

@kiramea Ya I was surprised also. The strips are the big expense.

The Bush Crime Family and corrupt Congress has fixed prices high and legislated against people who cross the Canadian border to get the same company product usually 80 % less some lower some higher but all below USA rip off prices 44 & 45 have done nothing to change the crimes of big pharma against humanity

Yes. I've buying Metrogel for my rosacia for decades at about 4 or 5 dollars for my prescription. Suddenly it went up in price to $170 even WITH my insurance paying half. F*ck that. I'll just by come concealer for my red face.

Duke Level 8 Jan 17, 2018

I have had medication go up. My inhaler used to be 7$, and now it is 70$ through insurance. I also noticed that through Medicare prescription costs have gone up.

$200+/month for a cocktail of half a dozen drugs that did nothing for my debilitating chronic pain. (No insurance.)

Don't get fibromyalgia, kids.

If it wasn't for Medicare and Medicaid I would have had to fork over more than $100,000 for my bypass surgery. Also, since Walmart is the only "preferred" pharmacy in my area, if I refill my meds anywhere but Walmart it would cost me more than $600 a month versus $28 at Walmart.

This isn't necessarily big pharma, but insurance/anything medical is just as bad.

Agreed

I'm lucky to have Medicare and Medicaid after Obamacare which paid for my chemotherapy and the 50 pills a day and a bone marrow transplant. Million bucks or more. Without Obamacare I would not be here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15740
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.