Agnostic.com

9 0

Do you say under god inthe Pledge of Allegiance or just ignore these words when you recite it?

There are many secularists who want these words "under god" removed from the Pledge.There is absolutely no chance of that occurring under this administration however there may be more god imposed upon us according to the atty general.

Marine 8 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well look what I just stumbled across on Friendly atheist! Speaks to my point I had made below about pledges being indoctrination tactics pushed in place of genuine love of country.
[friendlyatheist.patheos.com]

I don't say it.

Thank You

I don't say the Pledge of Allegiance I'm usually not in situations where I would it hasn't came up lately but I suppose I would just stand there

Tthat is ashame

I'd wedge a grievance to the gag of the enblighted state of America.

I haven't had any reason to recite it since I got out of school.

But would you and just leave out the god part.

@Marine Yes.

Ignore. Thanks goodness they don't say it where I work now.

It is not a legal requirement for any American to recite the pledge of allegiance.
A pledge that is coerced is no pledge at all.
[ffrf.org]

I have never seen the pledge forced out of anyone.However to refuse to give it as an American I feel is immoral.

Recite it why? The pledge is a heavy-handed indoctrination tool. Notice it says "...to the flag and to the republic..." The flag, a mere symbol, takes top billing over the Republic? That is just garbage. If you love your country, you work to try to improve it. Slavishly reciting pledges is missing the more important point of love of country. In short, pledges are for emotional children, not discerning adults.

Oh, but to your question, I would certainly skip that McCarthy line about under god.

I am truly sorry you feel that way about the pledge that so many have given their lives for.

@Marine no, I certainly respect love of country. But that is not the same thing as the pledge recitation, itself. Do I think children should learn it and know It? Yes, actually, without the McCarthy era addition, but the daily classroom recitation is mindless indoctrination. Much more constructive to teach the history surrounding the declaration of Independence, Constitution--including Bill of Rights-- the foundational values underlying it all. I don't think the pledge evil. I think it simplistic and can be misused to discourage dissent.

A prime example: The hyper-reverence for this thing that is a mere symbol is even now being warped to deny respect for actual living human beings, the condemnation of African American athletes who are exercising their civil rights to try to make our nation better by righting a serious injustice. I feel sorry for you if you Can't understand that.

@JustLynnie whoa! Harsh. But you have a point.

@MikeInBatonRouge I understand why they take a knee and cannot fault them for doing so.however I believe they could do more to clean up their environment by working with the police rather than fighting them.My family has three policemen in it who after a crime could not find one person who would offer any information about it. This was repeated so many times within their combined years of service72years that they were frustrated. Many crimes could have been solved within minutes instead of taking months,years and sometimes never.I agree that they are being targeted ,shot and killed many for no reason and this needs to be addressed but they also have shot and killed many police The poverty and crime must be addressed from within to be rid of it.Asians,Irish,Polish, Germans, Spanish have all had to fight for acceptance and I realise skin color plays makes a difference however my black and Spanish friends all agree with this assessment. They need to use the government to get their rights. If their housing is dirty they need to go after the landlord to correct whatever is wrong.

@Marine I, too, am frustrated by the chasm between police and African American communities, as well as the lack of people willing to report what they've witnessed of crimes. But you sound as if they are just stubbornly refusing to cooperate, for spite. There are layers of reasons for their behavior, and high on the list are fear of not being protected adequately by the police and overall mistrust of the police. I know there are countless devoted and quality officers around the nation. But there are also departments with dysfunctional cultures, especially here in Louisiana. I've talked to dozens of people involved in one way or another with investigations who felt they got burned by the process. And it only takes a very few examples of reports of trauma, maybe even just one report, to spook people out of being willing to stick their necks out to help the police.

With the atty general and his new campaign to invoke more religion into our lives I am dishearten that there has been no outrage expressed by the democrats concerning the separation of church and state. The atty general has no business trying to make the USA more religious and specifically christian. The fact that Florida has chosen to place In God We Trust as their motto on the state flag is simply a crime. The evangelicals have launched a movement to make the USA a christain nation which must be stopped now.

they've also declared a sign with those words be in every school !

Florida is just the beginning, I suspect

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:157569
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.