Agnostic.com

15 0

As an atheist, can you also believe in the paranormal?

StarLady53 5 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Badly phrased I think . It implies a belief in atheism . How can you believe in atheism ,?surely atheism by definition is a lack of belief . By the way , no such thing as the paranormal ... If something you think is unexplainable usually had an explanation or its to be defined ... Not paranormal of supernatural.

I did not say that I believed in atheism. Rather, that you can be an atheist and still believe in the paranormal. BTW - the definition of paranormal, per Bing.com, is "denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding:"

You can believe whatever you like. The same reasons to not to believe in god apply to anything para normal. I believe my eyes last.

I am agnostic And I base my opinions and decisions on proven known fact. I let the believers
base there's on belief.

ScienceBiker - I'd like to know more about this hypothesis of yours.

Since the paranormal is simply things that are there that we cannot explain yet, that we don't understand, then I'd say yes, it's quite possible. I'd say it's more than a belief that things happen more often than we care to admit that we have no idea how to explain. Science isn't absolute quite yet but it definitely offers methods of testing and sorting things out to some degree. As technologically advanced as we are I think most even inside the fields can say there is great potential for quite a bit more advancement and things we don't yet understand may well eventually be understood one day.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

Not only can you, you have no choice whether or not to. Whatever evidence or evidence you may have for it coupled with the physical and chemical and composition of your brain that has been augmented by the entirety of your human experience will determine whether or not you believe. Should you? I don't think so. It's logically inconsistent with your other self-described traits, namely skeptic. Were you asking about someone else perhaps?

I don’t. There is a thing called infrasound that can cause feelings of fear and dread.

Of course. But most don't. For the most part I don't.

I believe in anything I want if there is proof.

There is never proof.

You can believe anything you want. Unless you have proof of the paranormal and I'm guessing you don't, then it would just be inconsistent to believe in it. I'm guessing one reason you're an atheist is because you have no proof of a god. Therefore unless you have paranormal proof why would you believe in it?

lerlo Level 8 Jan 16, 2018

Nope.

I put ghosts, the paranormal, horrorscopes, and gods all to the same level of scrutiny.

Sure. Illogic is open to all. 🙂

Paranormal phenomena are like ufo sightings. People experience or perceive something, are severely lacking in facts about it, so they extrapolate, often VERY creatively. I am quite skeptical. Not holding my breath.

They’re not mutually exclusive.

Yes, I think so. strange hard to explain things do happen. a lot of that is crap though.

I think so. You can believe whatever you want to believe. To me being an atheist or agnostic is just not believing in god. That's how I see it.
There is one psychic medium I believe in, and have seen evidence that what he says is true. That does not mean though I believe all people that claim to be mediums are for real.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 16, 2018

I don't think you can necessarily believe what you want to believe. When I stopped believing what I'd been taught at church and Sunday school, I went on wanting to believe for quite a while.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.