Agnostic.com

12 4

Am I the only one on the planet who prefers reading to movies?

Not that haven't seen some good movies. I have, and I own some that I have wanted to see more than once. But I would much prefer a good book. When I find an author I like I generally work my way through everything s/he wrote. And it happens I like nonfiction a lot.

I've had people get offended by this preference, as if I were looking down on them for watching movies and TV. It's not a moral thing. I just don't like it as much as reading.

Anybody else feel this way?

chicagojcb 7 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I much prefer reading to TV or movies. I cut the cable about 2 years ago and have never regretted it. I used to watch TV with a book open, and pretty much follow both plots (which doesn't say much for the plot of either, I admit I was reading some pretty fluffy stuff.) Used to really aggravate the ex cuz then he couldn't watch TV in the dark. I have some TV shows or movies that I like to watch, just don't want often. And I like to have something to do with my hands, crochet or knitting while watching, being productive, ya'know.

What about some of the better quality TV series? Obviously G of Thrones, House of Cards and alike. My ratio of tv to movies would 10.1 easily. Or do they not appeal as well?

@David1955 I am one of the few Americans who has NEVER watched a single episode of Game of Thrones. My kids are big fans,. Never House of Cards either. When I first got my Roku I binge watched Nurse Jackie, great show. However the pioneer guilt of getting nothing else done keeps me from binge watching most of the time. That and I'm the only one who does anything around here... the cats just don't pick up after me or themselves.

@HippieChick58 Well fair enough! I am ashamed to say I have never heard of Nurse Jackie. Not surprising, knowing me. 🙂

@David1955 Great show, very gritty, I am a medical geek so I love medical shows.

Me too, to coin a phrase.............

I'm a media addict, in any form...

I go to the movies at least 2-3 times a month, and I tend to watch a lot of Netflix & cable television -- LOTS of criticism for that from people who consider themselves more enlightened than I am because they don't watch television or "waste" money going to the movies, that's been a lifelong response from the intellectually elite (insert sarcastic eye-roll) who love to point out their superior life choices.
((How do you know when someone doesn't own a television? Don't worry... they'll let you know.))

I also love to devour a good book, and currently my house is being overrun with stacks of books while I search for the perfect bookshelves -- I'm in the process of getting two Little Free Libraries up and running, but for now the books are taking over the house! I get JUST.AS.MUCH. judgement from people about my reading habits, but it's usually in the way of, "ohhh, you're so lucky, how do you find time to read?" or "If you were married with kids you'd never be able to read so much." Passive aggressive, anyone?

I don't consider either one a waste. They're entertainment, and they can be thought provoking. I just personally prefer one over the other.

Nope, my wife does too. She devours books. I wish I could say the for myself.

No.

I really enjoy many movies and find some to be highly entertaining and fun. But I love books and I read every single day and have done so for almost as long as I can remember.

I've met people who might read one or two books a year or even no books a year. Some people just aren't readers. Those people are weird and should be studied by scientists in a lab. Maybe someone can find a cure.

But I can't recall ever feeling that anyone was offended. Though I tend to hang out with dorks and nerds that have goofy hobbies or collect silly things or play nerdy games so maybe they're just less judgmental.

Yeah I'm watching fewer movies these days, but maybe more quality tv series. I think the movie format might be beginning the journey to its end. Only beginning. The whole big blockbuster superhero thing just bores me witless. Not many movies really appeal now. I have a particular dislike of movies by HWood about "true stories" and "real events". They are always crap. I have a strong history focus, and when they make these so-called true story movies I know they're rubbish, especially when I know the history and facts. I'll take a well made documentary or history book any day. Now Tarrantino is making a movie about Manson. Spare us! I know this history very very well, and I can just imagine the bloodbath he'll create. He should stick to revisionist history entertainment. Like a lot of movies I probably will just not see it. I ignore a lot of movies these days, and I can stream anything I want, if I wish.

I see one or two movies a year, I don't do television, I do read about 2 books a week, all scifi fantasy. I didn't read for the 1st 30 years of my life, made up for it in the 2nd 30.

I get more out of books than movies. I find the former active and the latter passive. I also prefer edu-tainment to straight entertainment. Movies excite me when they approach or inhabit art, like Kubricks. If I'm not thinking, I'm not enjoying myself.

Hi chicagojeb,
I like the movies,but first I like to read about a story and it allows me to imagine what is taking place,eg I read the Da Vinci Code a great story and then I saw the movie,and it was good but not as good as I imagined it to be when I was reading it.Reading helps to expand the mind.

I feel the same way. I don't have a TV. When I travel and find a TV in the hotel room, I never turn it on. I can always read the bible that's provided in the room for laughs. Never been to the movies since I found out the first Harry Potter movie was NOT based on a true story (what a bummer!) My primary choice in reading material is non-fiction, ie. technical, history, etc.

I loved the 1st Harry Potter movie! That scene of the boats across the lake is just breathtaking. And I have a crush on Hagrid. 🙂

You're old school, with an imagination that doesn't need Hollywood's input. Says a lot about you. Books take you to a place no visual media can. It's why I love writing... but I keep getting distracted by movies. 😉

@WizardBill glad I never saw Wayne's World, then.

What a sweet compliment, @Hominid. I still remember vividly when my dad took me to get my 1st library card (you had to be able to sign your own name to have your own card). Books have been a magical place all my life. Much better escape than alcohol or drugs, I think.

I do know I probalby miss a lot of good movies, not watching very many. But thare are SO many books! I need 3 or 4 lifetimes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.