Agnostic.com

31 2

Is religion the cause of all (or most) wars?

I was thinking tonight about how it’s often said that religion is the reason most, of not all, wars are started. So I thought I’d start some discussion on the topic.

It seems to me that most wars are started due to the drive to have power over others and make economic gains. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

raines 4 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More like an excuse.

Nah, competion for resources. Follow the money. Religion is just more publicly acceptable than 'we wanted to kill them so that we could take their stuff'.

@raines more just the moral equivalent of the sports kit that football hooligans wear.

National boundaries and territorial appropriation have caused many, long before any of the theist religions came to be invented there were wars. It was usually about dominance and conquest. Since the advent of Christianity there have been countless religious wars waged such as The Crusades in the 12/13th centuries, but it is only cause in part. As is usually the case in these sort of arguments, it is much more complicated and usually includes power struggles and politics. These things are never back and white. So yes I concur with your conclusions.

Here's my take on things:

Hit the nail on the head. Cute cartoon.

No..greed and power is, but religion is a great way to manipulate the population into doing the killing for the powerful people who start the wars.

Cause of many. Justification for most.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:161723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.