Agnostic.com

28 3

Is there a meaning to life? If so, what is it?

My children give life meaning to me. I also believe that falling in love with that special someone you have a connection with is meaningful. What say you?

ballou 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dogs. And coffee.

LOL! (I hope that's not too trite) You have no idea how true that is for me. But, I'd also throw beer in there.

@Condor5 I was being 100% sincere. You can throw beer in there as well, if you like. Although, I drink far more coffee than beer.

Any meaning to life is whatever you make of it and nothing more. (IMHO)

Life is suffering and short. What you do from cradle to grave is to lessen suffering for others, and live every second as though they are the last.

Fuck yeah!! YOLO, peeps!!

At the bear bones of it, it’s to reproduce so the species can survive. However, there are people who have no interest in having children so it kind of becomes a moot point. Personally, beyond the scientific reason, I think it’s just to be as content as you can possibly be.

No. I've become so nihilistic in my old age but there is zero point. We are here for the experience

Just heard a great quote attributed to Camus; I'll paraphrase it here. "The meaning of life is whatever you are currently doing to prevent you from killing yourself." I love it!

I've adopted a Yoko Ono philosophy on life. Yoko said children grow up, husbands and people die so work is the most important part of life. My job hobbies and the help i give to others gives my life meaning.

This is the best answer I have seen. It makes total sense!

My kids and grandkids...

The meaning of life is to give life meaning and 42.

Whatever you decide it should be.

Meaning is something that is given to things, it is not an inherent characteristic of anything. Just give life and other things the meaning you want them to have 😉

MarcO Level 5 Jan 18, 2018

Be kind.

Hera Level 1 Jan 18, 2018

To be what you are and to become what you are capable of becoming!

You are given? life. You have free will. Make your own meaning or die without it.

Of course not. Just because one can come up with a question does not mean that there has to be an answer to the question or that the question is in any way meaningful.
To me the question does not make any sense at all.
However, this does not mean that individuals are not free to make their life meaningful for themselves in some way. But this is something that is more an action of the individual rather than something that would be a property of life a priori.

There is a "secret" to life. And the secret to life is to keep the secret.

Shhhhhh, 1st rule of life secret... you don't talk about life secret... lol

I believe in having a purpose. I'd like to leave a positive impression with those lives I've come in contact with. I feel that I'm here to serve others, beings of all kinds, and help create a positive place and positive experiences. Hahaha that's a lot of positives, I couldn't think of better words right now.
I work with people with intellectual disabilities and coordinate a youth mentoring group. Also volunteer with horse and dog rescues. Maybe that will help explain my answer.

In Terry Lane's book "GOD, the Interview" Pages 15-19 is a wonderful 'parable' that tells you what the meaning of life really is. .

I was just reading about it today in Erich Fromm's "psychoanalysis and religion" where he states that we have a built in desire to be sincere to something. religion happened to be the most fruitful. maybe thats why people tend to be religious.
but I think that each individual has his own sincerity toward something of his choice. and I think you do have that too.

Basem Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

Whatever you want it to be, free will.

33..that is all

1. My son and the time I spend with him.
    Having him look over at me... "Daddy, I wuv you" then him going back to what he was doing.
  2. Selling years of extreme collecting on ebay to pay off refi'd house before STBX pays off her recently purchased home. (THAT would REALLY make me happy!)

does there have to be? why not just enjoy and stop searching. my dogs never look and there really content. I like that. maybe you're looking out when you should be looking in.

Repeat the Ultimate Orgasm. The one I was in tears and she was... Oh my god, are you okay? Can you do that again?

LOL

At the wonderful age of 66 I have found I am my biggest joy. I am discovering myself , crafts, art, music, etc, I live alone now and love the peace which it brings. My children are of course a love in my life but it is me who must decide what makes me happy,
And I am happy, so another success

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.