Agnostic.com

54 12

Presumed to be religious. Do people just make the assumption you're religious, as if there were no other option?

Sometimes I get asked "what church do you go to?" As if, I must go to one of them. But, when I was doing my coursework as a teacher, the Professor that came in and graded my student teaching told me...

"A lot of teaching jobs are being cut (true at the time). You may have to apply for private schools. Many are Christian, but I know you won't have any problem with that."

I was sort of dumbfounded by the comment. How do you know that? Oh, because you haven't seen me eat any babies? I seem like a nice person... well, I'm not a Christian-- or a religious person! I wanted to say... but seeing as this was the person grading me, I just didn't comment.

Are you presumed to be religious, too?

silvereyes 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (51 - 54)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a sales technique. Every sales man or woman has to assume that his client cannot live without whatever they are selling. In science false assumptions are the main reason for failure of conclusions

Luckily, I work Thursday-Sunday 8:00 am to 7:30 pm so I obviously do not attend church.

I live in Georgia and work in customer service. Every day I have some interaction where a church gathering or solicitation for prayer comes up. Everyone is assumed to be Christian and primarily Baptist around here. Hell I got weird looks when I was saying "Happy Hanukkah" that week of December because these people get personally offended if you don't say "Merry Christmas."

I started to apply to a private Christian school when I lived in KY. But I stopped filling out the application when I saw a box to check whether or not I attended dances, or ever drank.

Ballroom/jitterbug dancing were my favorite weekend activity, and at the time I had a case of expensive wine, so I decided it wasn't worth lying and trying to cover things up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.