Agnostic.com

54 12

Presumed to be religious. Do people just make the assumption you're religious, as if there were no other option?

Sometimes I get asked "what church do you go to?" As if, I must go to one of them. But, when I was doing my coursework as a teacher, the Professor that came in and graded my student teaching told me...

"A lot of teaching jobs are being cut (true at the time). You may have to apply for private schools. Many are Christian, but I know you won't have any problem with that."

I was sort of dumbfounded by the comment. How do you know that? Oh, because you haven't seen me eat any babies? I seem like a nice person... well, I'm not a Christian-- or a religious person! I wanted to say... but seeing as this was the person grading me, I just didn't comment.

Are you presumed to be religious, too?

silvereyes 8 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely happens where I live. It’s just assumed you are a Christian here in the Bible Belt.

I don't carry myself as a religious person. Don't go cussing around either... I just don't fit that image so... despite no drugs, seldom drink, you won't find me in the shadow of a church. Maybe is the looks I give in the presence of a bible. I get bigger as a cat. Serious as a hound. My eyes fixed in a prey. They get the message I reckon.

Hell, yes! All the time. I get, "who are your people?", and "which church do you go to?", constantly. Watching their faces when I answer has turned into sport.

I think so... It's the safe way to be liked when you say your Catholic around my town...

People will mainly assume that because it's usually a cultural norm where you may live. I can see how annoying an assumption like that can be.

Those that know my family but not me intimately will naturally assume I'm catholic, see me at any religious function and they'll see why that isn't the case. Random people might assume that, but most around these parts are more savvy to ask what I believe and not what church/denomination is belong to. Those that interact with me often like co-workers and such will know quick enough my dislike of superstition so they clue in quick enough that I'm an atheist.

It's kind of like someone thinking I must be a Trump supporter because I'm a middle aged white male, or they think I'm a conservative for the same reason. I also must be a conservative that's racist and sexist because I'm not a metrosexual or less rugged. It happens all the time with a myriad of different topics. I try to soften the conversation because I don't want it to lead to conflict. Not that I can't handle myself, but because I don't want the aggravation. In public, I don't usually like to talk about religion or politics.

Yes, deeply religious people tend to assume that others they meet are religious. That is because being religious is so central as to how they define themselves that they find it hard to imagine that others do not see things in the same way.

I will let a religious person start to give me their spiel after so much time, I snap back and hang them with their own words. When jovi`s witness talk to me they walk away and avoid me. If someone dares to try to "save me" those people I just toy with.

People assume I'm Christian (or I should say, still Christian) all the time. Most of the assumptions people make about me are usually way off because I look like a white, conservative, Christian male. Of those, only the white part is true.

I've sometimes had people get mad at me when I take exception to them saying they'll pray for me or saying that God is watching over me. And some think I'm a weirdo because I don't say God bless you when they sneeze.

One of the reasons I came to this site was that I wanted to feel like I was around like-minded people. I appreciate having this place to be open.

I understand wholeheartedly as an agnostic and so much more. Basically, no definite beliefs just able to see possibilities. So, even when expressing my beliefs people will assume that I'm Christian; like no. My beliefs and my being are beyond the confines of any one label in all all aspects of life really.

I don't notice it that much. But then I use words like "evolved," "evolution," "uncertainty," "praise be to Darwin," "for the love of Science," "Bad Girls is still Donna Summer's best album."

They absolutely do assume you’re religious. I love the look on their faces when they find out differently.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 18, 2018

After mentioning that I work with a Lutheran Church quilting ministry (I make quilts), the other person asked me if I was Lutheran. At that point, I said that I am Agnostic. I was raised Catholic. It may be the thinking by quite a few that the ONLY people doing good, or are kind, considerate, etc. are Christian. IGNORANCE!

Oh, yes. All the time. And whether I set them straight or not depends on how much I care that they know more about who I am. I am on the other end of my career and don't have the kinds of pressures you are facing.

I tell people at work that I don’t believe in religion, they reply with “you have to believe in somthing”, and I say, no I don’t. You can’t argue with them, so eventually after they get red faced, they quit, but they still love me. They stopped quoting the Bible at me when I quoted it back, actually quite fun. I even made up my own religion called bullshitism, in which we worship the great space turtles, and the pastors are called turtle priests. They get a kick out of it until they think I actually believe what I’m saying.

Yep in Brasil you are presumed religious from birth. Most catholic....yuck

I get it a little I also get the opposite in that people think I have a problem with them being religious. Much like the pepai challange it's really hard to say you are neutral on this subject.

People have often asked me "Ok, fine you're Atheists, but why do you have to be so vocal about it ?"

It's precisely because people assume that other people are religious that makes many Atheists as vocal as they are.

Lately I've enjoyed this assumption falling out of favor and find myself not having putting up a vocal front.

As a side note though, many religions teach you can't be "good" without "faith". Thus not believing in god or Jesus is connected with automatically being a bad person.

I was called the devils workman and was told my family was going to hell. I stated I did not believe in myths and we would all return to nature someday. Most assume that you are religious because we still do not receive recognition as an alternative life style. To bad for them!

But, it's weird to me; it's like some people will trust a Christian immediately, and from my experience, most of them aren't even kind, considerate, or compassionate. It depends on their motivation for seeking God and following Christianity. Some use it as a front, or a solution or healing from bad habits, some just don't want to suffer in Hell (so, mainly a self-preservist). I relate to many descriptions of what some would call an Empath; so, I basically can see straight through the exterior or surface of most people.

There's a church for Agnostics and secular Christians per say (who sway more to the belief of Jesus but think differently than other Christians) and others ... all ideologies or theologies and it's call the Unitarian Universalists; so, I have an answer when people ask me about my church although I don't practice or believe in any one specific religion. I'm a true Agnostic... how the crap do I know what's true and false about realms outside of my perceptions? We wouldn't know anything about microbes if not for the invention of microscopes although humans for the most part had some idea that sicknesses were caused by some elemental force humans not able to sense. But, I do know that I choose whatever it is that is righteous and good against all that is evil (all may be subjective and extremely difficult to decipher and even so only higher order Beings may be able to decipher ... who really knows? I know that I don't know) ... it's very tricky ... I always said even when I related to Christianity that it's bigger and so grander than most may comprehend and will also shock and awe the majority. Just my thoughts. Can't help the way I see the universe and think.

I don't hide the fact that I'm Agnostic. I study all there is to study and also pray. I also like to listen to Gospel music. I understand my logic, but this seems to confuse people. I adore the concept of Angels. One co-worker asked me if I'm not a Christian, how can I listen to Gospel music? It seems they are whispering or gossiping about me being fake. But, I understand it although others may not understand so this is me. I see possibilities and whatever possibility is of love, compassion, and righteousness, then those are the possibilities that I follow. I imagine and hope there are entities like Angels, so just in case there are, I pray to them. Gospel music is uplifting and gives me hope that there's a purpose and a rhyme and reason for all of this and that I'm not alone as long as I seek the path of love and compassion (whoever may be called family of this kingdom). There can possibly be a world of harmony and love like heaven. I believe anything as such is possible because I'm possible. I also try to consult with any potential aliens that may be out there; it's possible. But, I also pray to any being or elemental force able to hear my prayers or cries to guide and lead me to the truth and the light. This is me. And, I'm only trying to express myself and share me, because don't get too many chances to do this without some sort of weird reactions.

As a child, this question made me feel... wrong. I wasn't an atheist, but my mother had stopped forcing us to go to church. Another kid my age asked me what church I went to, and I just felt as if there was something wrong with me. It haunted me.

As an adult, in liberal southern California, this never comes up, thankfully. But as a teacher, I hide who I am. I'm afraid even being on this site. Although it is illegal to fire me for my atheism, that doesn't mean the parents won't find out and complain about me in some other way.... It frightens me.

Pretty common when I lived in the Midwest. No much out here in Oregon.

Well, I live in the US-Bible belt and everybody presumes that everyone is religious. They do not seem to realize that living in this area means that they may presume that I'm a Christian when I don't look like that I come from a Muslim-, Buddhist- or whatever ethnic religion. If they start talking to me about blessing etc. I just tell them that I'm not religious and they stop, but stay friendly. I seldom meet people that hear that and turn away.
And in case of losing my job, I would not tell anyone that I'm non-religious. I had a Christian education so I can easily teach children in Christian schools. The income of people without a job is terrible in the US so a job is first. But working as a non-religious teacher would also have benefits, teaching children to think independent. For that I'm willing to fake.
Just like worker in WOII in the Netherlands that worked for the Germans, so he was seen as collaborating with the enemy. After the War they tried to trial him but it appeared that he used his position close to the Germans to help people in need, like people that were in hiding and people that were on the list of deportation to the camps.

Gert Level 7 Jan 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.