Agnostic.com

58 9

To hug or not to hug

Are you a hugger?

Do you feel comfortable giving/receiving hugs from strangers or people you aren't close to?

Why or why not?

Crimson67 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not too much of a hugger because of my nervous system conditions. It's often painful to hug. So I can do it, but I don't seek it out much.

I'm a hugger. But I always check if new people are huggable.

Never been a hugger but have loosened up over the years and enjoy them when I get them.

However, I rarely initiate them unless I know the person well. As a man I don't trust my own reading of others and I don't care for coming across as creepy and I've seen far to many negative reactions to a man going in for a hug. Women seem to get away with it much easier.

No problem hugging, it's either genuine affection, casual friendliness, or a cheap thrill.

I love hugs. I will always take the opportunity for one. ☺️

sure.

I am an affectionate man, I came from a family of huggers and I have no issues with being hugged and/or hugging and enjoy it very much. I will always ask a stranger if I could get a hug before proceeding and always respect the answer. It applies to both men and women equally.

I think asking is good and something I’ve learned to do

I enjoy hugs, but I’m not very trustful of strangers.

Hey I'm all for hugs 🙂

I'm not a hugger, even with people I know and like. A stranger is going to have to make due with a handshake

GwenC Level 7 Aug 26, 2018

Not usually, but sometimes there is an undeniable connection ??

It depends on who it is....how well I know them....and if I'm feeling comfortable with them.

Hugs from strangers? No..but I will hug their dog. LOL
and I do like hugging trees <3 <3 <3

Other than close personal relationships, I don’t want to touch humans. They’re nasty, disease ridden, and often stink. If I do make contact with one, I usually want to wash it off of my hands.
Close relationships with friends and relatives are acceptable for hugging, but I can’t guarantee that sometimes I won’t go wash my hands in that situation, either. Depends. A niece with chromosomal errors, an aunt that smells like cheese, a cousin that smells like ball sweat, or whatever. There are others, however, that I never want washed off me.

Hugging for me implies a level of intimacy that I'm uncomfortable with in regard to strangers or even casual acquaintances. I tolerate hugging from friends and family, but I'm not overjoyed about it (but it doesn't really bother me, and I'll even initiate if hugging has been established within our relationship).

I tend to not hug unless I know the person. It feels disingenuous otherwise. Sincerity matters.

Do I go high, go low, does one of my arms to high and the other low? Do I touch cheek to cheek, or chin on the shoulder? How long is too long, how hard do I squeeze? >> this is my anxiety talking when I hug a stranger.
Otherwise, I absolutely love hugs from people I'm close to!!

This is a good question. I've hugged though I felt awkward. I've hugged and felt that the receiver felt awkward. I've gone to asking if the intended recipient is comfortable with a hug.

I hug. I am southern. I was raised to be a hugger. Though I can't speak for us all, I would think we lean hugger.

@Crimson67 wow, that must have been hard with so much hugging down here.

I'm not a touchy person. There are few people who may hug me, and fewer still with whom I am comfortable initiating a hug.

JimG Level 8 Aug 26, 2018

I don't hug, shake hands or dance.

If it is a two way street where you know the feeling is mutual then a big hell yes. It's so comforting in so many ways, from the edge of friendly all the way to a sexy moment so difficult to describe. Of course the approach from friendly to sexy and everything in between depends on the moment, the person and the circumstances. There is a time for everything.

I’m definitely a hugger! I tend to be very touchy-feely and have a very small personal bubble. I try to respect that other people have a larger personal bubble but sometimes I forget

I'm a hugger for the most part, but I find myself more reserved these days. There are fewer people I hug, mostly because there are fewer people I connect with, fewer that I'm WILLING to connect with. I've become this dichotomy of affectionate person who prefers his own personal cave; a gregarious hermit, if you will.
Regardless, one thing that really irks me is a weak hug. I hate'em! They're just so... Ugh!

Friends and family yes. Strangers no. Not comfortable with that. A handshake or head nod is fine.

Not afraid of hugs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.