Agnostic.com

58 9

To hug or not to hug

Are you a hugger?

Do you feel comfortable giving/receiving hugs from strangers or people you aren't close to?

Why or why not?

Crimson67 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I don't know the person for me it's awkward but generally not refused.

Yeah I'm good with it, but certainly respect those who aren't.

I hug. I am southern. I was raised to be a hugger. Though I can't speak for us all, I would think we lean hugger.

@Crimson67 wow, that must have been hard with so much hugging down here.

I tend to not hug unless I know the person. It feels disingenuous otherwise. Sincerity matters.

It depends on who it is....how well I know them....and if I'm feeling comfortable with them.

Hugs from strangers? No..but I will hug their dog. LOL
and I do like hugging trees <3 <3 <3

Not usually, but sometimes there is an undeniable connection ??

Hey I'm all for hugs 🙂

sure.

No problem hugging, it's either genuine affection, casual friendliness, or a cheap thrill.

I'm a hugger. But I always check if new people are huggable.

I have a Free Hugs shirt. Does that answer the question? Lol

if it seems right then it is right but its generally people i know

I only hug friends or family, like most Brits!

If they’re good friends.

Marz Level 7 Aug 27, 2018

I will do the hug if I know you. I do respect personal space although mine has a small periphery. I get it if others have a larger one.

Family and close friends get hugs if they want them. Complete strangers will not get a hug IRL.

Not afraid of hugs.

Friends and family yes. Strangers no. Not comfortable with that. A handshake or head nod is fine.

I'm a hugger for the most part, but I find myself more reserved these days. There are fewer people I hug, mostly because there are fewer people I connect with, fewer that I'm WILLING to connect with. I've become this dichotomy of affectionate person who prefers his own personal cave; a gregarious hermit, if you will.
Regardless, one thing that really irks me is a weak hug. I hate'em! They're just so... Ugh!

If it is a two way street where you know the feeling is mutual then a big hell yes. It's so comforting in so many ways, from the edge of friendly all the way to a sexy moment so difficult to describe. Of course the approach from friendly to sexy and everything in between depends on the moment, the person and the circumstances. There is a time for everything.

I don't hug, shake hands or dance.

I'm not a touchy person. There are few people who may hug me, and fewer still with whom I am comfortable initiating a hug.

JimG Level 8 Aug 26, 2018

This is a good question. I've hugged though I felt awkward. I've hugged and felt that the receiver felt awkward. I've gone to asking if the intended recipient is comfortable with a hug.

Hugging for me implies a level of intimacy that I'm uncomfortable with in regard to strangers or even casual acquaintances. I tolerate hugging from friends and family, but I'm not overjoyed about it (but it doesn't really bother me, and I'll even initiate if hugging has been established within our relationship).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.