Agnostic.com

27 6

Taking yourself out to eat?

Is it strange? I do that often when I just want to feel like Iā€™m living life to the fullest and to just get out, instead of just working or setting in the house all day. I often get stares from other people cause Iā€™m just sitting alone while eating like something is wrong with me. I just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with me.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a huge fan of masturdating. Masturdating is when you take yourself out and have a good time.

Lmfao!!! Love your sense of humor.

I love eating alone, seeing movies alone.......nothing wrong with you dearest šŸ™‚ It is a strong personality that is able to be on their own; in my opinion.

I go out by myself all the time.

OH NO !!!! ALONE !!?? ALL BY YOURSELF !??

Hell ... Good for you !! Go for it - nothing wrong with that at all.

I used to go out by myself , and I'd bring a book with me. Rather enjoyed it actually. But as I kept improving my diet, moving more towards healthy organics, I found I prefer cooking my own food, so I know exactly what I'm eating. So eating out now is very rare indeed .

@Stevil a bit of a challenge - yes. and sometimes it requires compromise - but not impossible !

I donā€™t think good food is worth having without someone to share it with, I just eat for nutrition now days, and a couple bites of dark chocolate now and again. Growing up, I rarely ate out. What I miss most is movies, havenā€™t brought myself to go alone yet. I go to a local bar for a drink and to listen to the music from the local bands twice a month or so, the bartenders are nice, and no one ever stares.

Here here!

no reason not to go to movies - besides , it's dark ! No one cares, and no one stares ...

I don't eat out anymore. If I want fast food, I'll wait until I have to fill in for someone at work. Then I get a free meal. I used to go get specialty coffee from Dutch Bros, but I use my new Keurig instead.

Yeah, I hardly eat fast food cause I usually cook at home, but like to get out every now and then.

I love sit-down restaurants. Everyone cancels when I ask them to go with me.

I quit asking people out to eat. Some people will talk to you in their free time. Some will free their time to talk to you.

of course not. there is something wrong with them thinking that.

I love taking myself out. I love to go grab a burger and iced lemon water and enjoy my own company. I also take day trips to Baltimore and treat myself to a Starbucks coffee by myself and a quiet dinner at Hard Rock Cafe with almost no wait time for a table because it is just me. Never mind the stares.I get it also and just smile and sometimes strike up a conversation. The local farmers market downtown has a food court that I often have shared my table with others and met some pretty fascinating people that way. Have fun with it, Enjoy.

Nothing wrong with you at all! It's nice to take yourself out for a meal! It's a great opportunity to people watch or read, and you're not obligated to speak šŸ™‚

I take myself out for either breakfast, lunch or dinner daily. Itā€™s my zen time.

I am sure eating alone is pretty common in this group. There is nothing wrong with it.

There's nothing wrong taking your self out and joining youself however you see fit.

I go to eat out -alone- once/week.

I've gone out from time to time to eat by myself as restaurants, and it's not much different feeling from any other activity I do by myself. I just sit there, take my time eating while I listen and/or read news, debates, podcasts, ect... I've never noticed any awkward looks, and the service is usually just as friendly as they would be to groups.

Though from what I've gathered from people, I seem to, or sometimes, come off as..."intimidating"? Something that makes people think differently of me than what I really am I guess.

You donā€™t get enough props for your thoughts. Everyones got an impression of you no matter who you are. As long as your not a streight up jerk, youā€™ll find people in your corner if you just keep doing what you believe is right. Maintain a healthy curiosity, and do your best to overlook peoples flaws without giving up your boundaries, everyoneā€™s got a story to tell. From what Iā€™ve seen, your a cool guy, I mean that sincerely. We all have things we can work on, most people get it I think.

I must admit I hardly go out where there are many people, I haven't become anti social, I just don't like crowds and tolerate them less and less. I wouln't go to movies or out for a meal on my own as for me the company is 90% of the enjoyment.

Thatā€™s more how I feel too.

Nothing is wrong with you, and just remember that at the same time as you are eating alone, there's someone else eating alone too, so you're eating alone together. I am all too familiar with the stares, don't worry about it. It's a sign of strength to be comfortable in your own company.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 19, 2018

Hmm... wow... no one has once stared at me whilst dining alone. I do it all the time. But... then again, I always have my faced popped behind a magazine or a book while I am dining and therefore might not notice if I am, indeed, being given the eye.

However, even if I did get the eye, I could give two rats asses rubbed together what the ogler is so fascinated with in their mission to watch me. I probably never noticed because I am already a highly confident person.

Maybe people who contain less personal confidence notice the oglers because they, themselves, already feel lesser of a person or ashamed/awkward for being alone and likewise, take notice of what they perceive as a negative, if and when they realize they have an audience. You wouldnt notice anyone staring at you if you weren't already self-conciously looking to see if it is happening. hee hee

I had a contant companion for decades and now, like you, I feel pathetic eating alone. I know rationally that it is fine but I do take out. I suppose that is why I joined this site.

Nope. Nothing wrong with you. If youre single and don't want to be a hermit sometimes you gotta take yourself out.

When I was still able to drive, I did it all the time. Used to go to movies by myself, too.
Ignore the gawkers. Or, you can stare right back at them until they become uncomfortable and look away. There isn't a damned thing wrong with you. Don't let anyone make you think there is.

There is nothing at all wrong with that. It's a pretty healthy attitude and more people should feel that way to be honest. I'm guessing they likely see a woman sitting alone, especially a lovely woman, and think perhaps she's been stood up. It's an old fashioned idea though, and a dying one at that.
It's strange the way people seem to think it's not ok to treat yourself, especially as a woman.

Go out! Have a great time!

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 20, 2018

Eating out alone is tons better than not eating out. I had one fancy dinner while travelling for business where numerous tables had one person dining. We ended up having a conversation, table to table. (: It was absurd and fun (the crab cakes weren't half bad either!).

Zster Level 8 Jan 19, 2018

I canā€™t bring myself to go out to eat alone, so I think it is great that it does not bother you. I donā€™t mind seeing movies by myself.

If anyone says anything to you just say that you are on a date with someone that never lies to you, loves you, is loyal to you, and treats you like you are the best thing in the world. YOU!

Without a witness to your life how can you validate you living life to the fullest? ...or that there is nothing wrong with you? Remember "The Mad is the last one to find out his/her condition". That your behavior is found by you as possibly strange is a good sign. It depends on you... do you want to be that isolated person or you rather live in company? Do you rather face your darkest hour alone or with support from others. Prep your life how you wanted to be. I don't mind if strange becomes your normal if that is what you want... but if it is not what you want... time to make some changes. You will know what to do.

@MichaelSpinler Is my opinion and mine alone, with or without your validation Example your bald look was not initiated by you going bald right? You saw others with hair looking good without. So based on your eyewitness feedback you went for it and then again... you may really be bald and without a choice.

@MichaelSpinler oh so you wanted to feel better... why? what happened.?

Oh I'm a people person. I'll find a meeting or something to attend. I don't mind being by myself.... I just like people.

Fuck 'em! Eat where, when, and with who you want. Just enjoy your meal. If you are doing anything other than that, you really need to make a change in where your mind is at.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.