Agnostic.com

13 2

Does the algorithm for potential matches make sense to anyone?

I can't figure out the algorithm for matches. E.g. have had 90% + on people who don't list pets in likes which leaves me scratching my head.

Anyone else?

• 2 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 12 votes
Qualia 8 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's just something for people to start conversation as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't look into it, I just assumed it was based only on the initial questions we answered in our profile so never put any stock in it.

The algorithm sometimes gives women who are in their 20's and 30's as high matches for me (I'm 63 yo). However, it does get it right in the age department often.

Yes, if you relinquish your power to something outside yourself...

Ummmmmmm..hmmmm...geeeez..ahhhh..No

If I was looking for love I'd be single, 50 yrs younger, hanging out in bars. Or ... I hope to be shot by a jealous husband after I've crossed the century mark.

'm just kibbitzing here. Unlike FB, and regardless of what our individual positions are on various subjects, we all seem to be a fairly well educated, lucid, literate, thoughtful bunch. What possible advantage could an algorithm have over reading and replying to each other's posts and then maybe taking it prvate?

agreed

There is an algorithm??

If people fully fill out their profiles you can check by the heart percentage. Best to go to their profile directly and message them to get to know them better.

I think it's basically just a guide to who MIGHT be compatible with you. There are obviously many more factors that can't really be measured online. I guess it's like a web crawler (search engine) that chooses what you might be interested in depending on your search parameters and demographics.

If you go to someone's profile and click on the heart-match percentage next to their name, you'll see matchup details and how the site calculates the percentage (or at least some of how it's calculated, with weighted values).

Thank you! as a relative newbie I hadn't figured that out yet.

@chicagojcb I actually wouldn't have known about it myself except the Admin mentioned it in another post. But I'm happy to take the credit. 😉

I havent tried to figure it out

I'd like to know more about it actually, just how complex is this thing? Could we possibly do better?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.