Agnostic.com

12 3

We know that people worship religion and its' figures, but what I find equally disturbing is worshiping sports figures or other celebrities. I'm not saying it's bad or weird or disturbing to like sports or cheer for your favorite teams and players, or enjoying music and movies and admiring someone. I do this, but some fans go way too far in my opinion.

On another forum, I saw these comments in an exchange between two Patriots fans worshiping Tom Brady:

"Maybe after the game, no matter what the result is, Brady can show his stitches and have his hand autographed and when he dies have his hand bronzed and put on display at the Smithsonian."

"or better yet, maybe, after the game brady secretly impregnates my wife and I end up raising a super athlete kid as my own. I think that would be a better way to honor his legacy, particularly since my default would be to teach the kid the complete reverence, respect and praise for Brady that he deserves but would never teach to the kid himself on account of how humble he actually is."

Their comments might have been in jest, but they could have also been serious and there ARE people who worship other humans like that.

Do you worship other humans be it actors, musicians and singers, politicians, or athletes? If you do, and assuming you're an atheist or agnostic, do you think you are contradicting your beliefs? If you don't, why do you think people do it, and is it equally as disturbing to you as religious people worshiping God is etc?

Piece2YourPuzzle 8 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I certainly "worship" highly talented people and even animals. After the lights came up after watching Avatar in 3-D, I sighed and said, "OK, OK..I'm putting up a James Cameron shrine now.."

My son's horse, Black Jack, saved his life on more than one occasion, winning him a lifetime of adoration from my grateful family and a lifetime retirement on our farm, alongside the horse who helped Black Jack save my seven year old son from a vicious stallion that was trying to kill him. We all also almost worshiped Naomi, a Blue Heeler, who was smarter than we were and took care of us all..including following my son when he wandered off into the woods, then coming to get us and lead us to him.
Photo is of my eight yr old daughter on Black Jack, pulling my 11 yr old son on our Kentucky farm in 1990.

I don't think I worship anyone, I like certain actors and musicians but I am a fleeting person as to I like the piece now and then promptly even forget their names afterwards. I have to really like a few pieces from someone to even remember their names.

I guess I never get into something as much as to lead to worship. I mostly relate to everyday individuals that I interact with. Immediate friends, daily or weekly interactions. The only time I used the worship word was younger when in love and boyfriend said he worshiped me first then I said it second and it kind of became our term of endearment but that's about it.

What I am trying to say is that I can't get that involved with something or like someone, especially a celebrity that I've never met or interacted to worship it or them. It would be interesting to see other responses though as I usually have a suspicion I am sort of detached from those things and kind of go through life with mediocre feelings towards things.

I only ever cried over one actor's death, Leonard Nimoy. Mr Spock had been with me since I was a kid. I thought of McCoy's line from The Wrath of Kahn. "He's really not dead you know, as long as we remember him." Cried like a baby.

yes, I agree and I admire people for who they are and not for there social status. people can be so shallow of which I have been guilty myself. I remember riding my motorbike way too fast over a bridge in my teens or early 20`s and a car pulled out in front of me which made me break like fuck and skid right up to her car. I was angry as fuck because I had shit myself and was ready to rip the driver a new ass. as I took my crash helmet of this stunningly beautiful woman got out of her car and apologised to me. I instantly changed and said oh that's ok nothing harmed. I know very sad right?

WORSHIP......think about this word........ if a being demands that you worship him [ North Korea's
Kim Jong Un, and Jesus Christ ] there must be a very serious problem with lack of character, it is definitely un- Christian......... Dare I say even "evil and sinful."

Now how about the worshipers ? They can only be delicately described as " a pack of cowering arse lickers," Take the words from Hymns, " almighty god " " we adore you " creator of the universe " Heavenly father"........ this does suggest to me that they are doing their best to "crawl" their way to the gates of heaven..........Sorry folks, Not for me thanks.....

You had too many questions...I don't worship anybody...nor GODS!

I'm kind of a pop-culture dropout and fairly anti-"brand". Maybe that's part of why I save some of my hardest eye-rolls for the celebrity cults and famous-worship that seems to go on everywhere. Maybe it's an extension of the general inability to think critically -- let's take Oprah's advice on what to read or, far more dangerously, Gweneth Paltrow's advice on self-medicating. I will think for myself, thank you.

Yeah, I just don't get it. I'm saddened when certain celebs, athletes or musicians die but its not the same as when a friend or family or even a pet dies. I've seen grown men cry when there team loses the superbowl, world series, etc. What's up with that? Are their lives that shallow? Its different if you are a player, but somebody watching it on tv, gimme a break. How about angry mob mentality, destroying property after your team loses the big game? Like I said, I just don't get it.

Yeah, I'll never get the people who become violent because of it. I go to a game to enjoy it because I like the sport and because I'm with friends and eating and taking in the venue etc. I don't want to fight anyone or see someone destroy something because their team lost. It's entertainment for me.

When I was 9 years old it was the Beatles. Being from New England I love Tom Brady and the Pats but not obsessed. Worship for celebrities in today's reality tv arena is commonplace. Unless someone is emotionally unstable I see no harm. Different strokes for different folks.

It freaks me out. I think it's suggestive of an attitude of abdicating personal worth. I don't see how anyone who has a certain baseline level of self-valuation can do that.

I'd much rather see the opposite, which is to say people valuing everyone as equally as possible. I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's a basic feature of human nature to need to venerate something outside of yourself. You know what they say about the people who talk about people, the people who talk about things, and the people who talk about ideas? I think it's like that.

God is the biggest, most important person to talk about.

When bob marley died I think it was bunny johnson who said I don't keep altars for fallen generals. I had lived like that I guess. My hero and idol is my son, because is my son... carry my genes and will be my way to keep a prolonged stay here beyond my death. Outside of him and my 2 daughters... There are no celebrities important to me. I drove from Jacksonville to Atlanta to see Madonna... but they were free tickets and free hotel stay for her Rebel Heart Tour. She was worth the concert. No athlete or movie star or musician or politician or revolutionary or religious icon will do it for me. Greatness here is great while here but.... I prefer to worship the female of my species for what she represent and what the potential may bring us while in a role of companion or a mate. My humble take about worship of humans.

I workship no one or thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.