Agnostic.com

20 2

Reason for life ?

What's the reason for life? Hard working, save money, for what reason? My dog died after 13 years of friendship, what will happen for it, maybe the next will be my self, why I should study, work and ....

Hamangodfree 3 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People have been asking this since people had the ability to ask anything at all, and so far, no one has come up with an answer that works for everyone. every individual has a different reason to live, although obviously as a species we have that instinct, and have doubtless had it since BEFORE we could even ask. our particular level of sentience complicates things. as a species we live to reproduce so we can live so we can reproduce, but as individuals we may choose not to reproduce and still live valuable lives (and not everyone agrees about what is or isn't valuable). people can tell you what motivates them; no one can tell you why (or whether) you should study, work or do something (or nothing) else. even if you yourself never figure it out, you may still achieve some kind of peace regarding that, and even if you don't do THAT, you may still feel that life is valuable without knowing the details of why. i am not copping out, honest i'm not, when i say it is up to you. it is up to each of us.

g

Did your dog like to swim in the pool ?

Unfortunately, it had water phobia and always I had problems for showering with it πŸ™‚

We lost our dog of 14 years three weeks ago. He was special. We feel as though someone shot a hole right through us. Slowly, we are getting our breath back. We also have two other dogs, five cats and four goats. Still, Joey was special. I know your pain and send colossal hugs your way. Give it some time. Will you consider sharing your life with another dog?

I am very sorry about your dog. I have lost a few dogs, the last one to tragic illness, and even though we have two other dogs now it still hurts to think about it. Our current dogs are halfway through their lives and we are already preparing ourselves for the inevitable. I think they will probably be our last dogs.

I also lost my adult son two years ago, and my prior wife 11 years ago, among others who died "before their time". The people who it hurts to lose are the ones you love, and who love you back, day after day. But it's also those people who always wanted the best for me, and would not want their death to ruin the rest of my life. And they would also appreciate living on in my memory. So I carry on.

On the one hand, these painful losses diminish you; on the other, you are made better by transcending and integrating them. Death is just part of life. I try not to let it take me completely by surprise or imagine I'm exempt. But it's still tough.

Hang in there. Virtual hugs from across the planet.

I think life is a classroom. We are here to accomplish certain things that will make life
better for others and for us. When asked the meaning of life the Dali Lama said we are here to be happy and to serve others. So be happy and make others smile. Relax. I don’t think too much any more. I just enjoy!

Enjoy the passage of time.

You are where you are to befriend another lonely dog, and another and another. maybe there are also people aroubnd you who need attention, befriending, love.

Existence comes before essence and existence is meaningless, unless you turn it into something meaningful. But no matter how hard you try, everything you do would at some stage becomes meaningless. Maybe thousands of years later. So what's the point in doing anything? If the chemicals in your brain ignite to a certain action why not simulate the feeling! Is there a way to tell whats real and whats not?

Stay happy and set goals! Said an ignorant fool once πŸ˜‰

If you don't plan for a good future for yourself , you won't have one . Set your goals . Who do you want to be ? What are your priorities ? How do you want to live ? Once you decide what you feel is important to you , decide how you can reach to these goals . Then go out and do it .

My husband and I just retired. We bought a farm and now we are Beekeeper's and farmers. Loving the here and now!!!

These answers all make me glad I've joined this group!

The beauty of life, particularly a life without religions is that you can decide for yourself what you value, what is your purpose, how to spend the brief, sweet time you get.

the reason of life is to love

The reason to live is found in your values. What do you care about? Become a part of something greater than your self.

Because the alternative isn't all that appealing. You only have one shot at this thing called life. Make the best of it, enjoy it while you can. Losing any loved one hurts, but it will pass.

I got a Master of Public Administration degree because I get the greatest reward from doing work that helps other people.

Since 2006 as a volunteer, I have helped low income, first generation students write essays for college entry and scholarships. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

Last June, I took three young women I previously mentored on a hike at Icicle Gorge, WA. From the left:

1. Tammy is planning to be a neurosurgeon. At age three, Tammy immigrated with her parents from Vietnam. Tammy is a sophomore at the University of Washington. Two weeks ago, I helped Tammy with her essays to apply to major in neurobiology.

"You are still the Queen of run-on sentences," I joked. I helped Tammy omit needless words. "Your essays are superb," I said. She glowed.

1. Me.

2. Recently Elisabeth graduated from Gonzaga University with a bachelor degree. She plans to be a pediatrician. Currently Elisabeth is volunteering in rural Oregon for a year- helping low income hospice patients and their families- before applying for medical school.

3. Teresa is studying to be an accountant. An active community volunteer, Teresa has been asked to run for office as a Democrat. Teresa is an enthusiastic public speaker.

The reason for life is to be alive and enjoy what you can. Yes, there is sadness, and all kinds of bad things, but that's not all there is. I just had to put my dog down last week, and it tore me up, but there are other things and people in my life that make me happy.

Ecologically all animal life serves a purpose from the insect to the top predators.Humans are the only species that serves no purpose other than its own advancement and in doing so will cause the next great extinction .Humans have created their own artificial environment and their own unhappiness

Reasons to live? Maybe to see what happens next- You r dog dying is really sad and the tide often turns 'new' comes along - Youre raw at the moment - I live in a sheltered accommodation and someone in one of our flats had a dog named Butch, a collie who died tat a brave age; the owner was devastated but had a picture of Butch that I took as an enlarged photograph which he keeps on his wall ,and he got another collie but younger, they actually look almost identical I am not suggesting oyu do this as now is probably seriously raw for you but there are ways through the grief if look for them. reasons for living - sunshine - rainbows -flowers - devoted dogs- smiles - empathy lots of reasons youre just not in hte right place whilst grieving to move on to them - all will be well. there are no shoulds but what else might you be doing - dying isn t a great option as you don't get to see what happens next. at least stay to the end of the film

Thanks for your attention, I don't like end of the film, it's obvious , when lose your energy and become old & weak , the life will be meaningless 😟

@Hamangodfree Not to those we have helped…

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168251
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.