Agnostic.com

8 3

I suppose this can fall under the Politics category, though I think we might need to add 'Society' to it. Anyway, at my second job, I work with one other person and he is the archetype of the classic rock loving, Harley riding, Hoosier redneck racist. Last night he went off, yet again, on how the white man hasn't ever done anything to the blacks and that, since they were given the vote, any problems black Americans have experienced have been their own fault and the only people the whites have fucked over were the Indians... you didn't see us putting the blacks on reservations did you? And taking a knee during the national anthem was not peaceful political protest, just another ni***er crying anout some made up bullshit. "If a black cop shot a white guy, you wouldn't see that on the news, would you. Fuck no! Because they don't care about white people!" Etc., etc., etc.

It's difficult to have a rational discussion with a person who, the longer their uninterrupted rant goes, the angrier and louder they get. You just know that any rebuttal, however gently handled (because you ARE dealing with a person who is mentally unstable and in need of a LOT of counselling to unravel the depression and self hatred buried in that ball of nightcrawlers you call a brain) will be met with irrationality, cherry-picked historic facts that supposedly support their belief, and a high possibility of violent reaction. I did my best to begin the job of reprogramming, but I can't imagine seeing any success.

Oh, the best part, he always ends with, "I'm not a racist... I hate everyone." Yeahhhh...

Not sure what I'm looking for here. Just needed to vent. If I had a soul, it would be feeling pretty bruised right now from being in such close proximity to the type of person who makes me worry, whenever I meet a person from a minority group, whetther or not they hate/fear me because of something some other white guy did to them down the street. I really hate that there are still people like this in the world. We are never going to improve as a species with toxins like this guy poisoning the well of Humanity.

Thanks for listening, all.

DobbinPitch 6 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And I would like to add...you need some trustworthy people to share your concerns, they will dissipate sooner than later. And, I try and remember that I may not be the person, that can bring 'reason' to this/or that person. No need for guilt, as it appears that you will do what you can...no one can be expected to do more!

First off, you cannot do any good for yourself, much less someone else...if you are injured. Focus on staying safe. It is not possible, to bring sanity to insane remarks... in an off the cuff discussion. (Even I need to focus!) That person must 'save face' in a group and may not drop his guard even in one on one! This other person will just 'up the anti!' Their objective is to protect what they believe. They are not there, to debate 'truth,' they already have 'the truth.' Be on the look out, for things in his nature, that are humane, so that when you are 'hung up' on some issue with him, at least you will have that in your own mind. And you may even be able to use it...which will lower the intensity of the moment. That is about all that can take place with 'these personalities.' This is work and this is the reason most of us, must keep our "respectful' distance! Prepare yourself, before the incidents take place...you will less likely to be caught off guard! If it takes years for professionals to help this type personality see how unproductive his ideas and behavior is, where do you think that leaves us? Good luck...and remember only lightening can happen in an instant!

I think one of the things that bother me most is that in the course of a few conversations, I can see all of the pain and misguided self-loathing that came from his shitty upbringing and I can see all of the pieces of this all-too-common human-puzzle and I can see WHY he (and others like him) Is this way, but I seriously doubt that I have the strength to change this person, and feel guilty that he's out there, spreading his hate.

I'm sorry you are stuck working with such a person. Does he ever take a breath so you can try to redirect him early on to some other topic? ie What he's talking about is way inappropriate for a work environment and you should not have to listen to that. Sigh.

Oh yeah, I can get him talking about other stuff, but it can get exhausting. I miss my coworkers from my other job when I work at this place. I can have real, intelligent conversations with most of them lol

Racists are just plain ignorant, uneducated morons just like their leader herr trump!

Ignorance or stupid? It sad to know they are still out there, possibly breeding.

Steer clear of those people. they will drown your good intentions in muck

It's an universal story. The majoritarian fundamentalism

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.