Agnostic.com

5 2

QUESTION Why don’t facts change people’s minds? | Varsity

If any of my fellow braniacs are looking for a good read....

ScienceBiker 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. “People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.” “Sometimes, making the wrong choice is better than making no choice.

I'm always fascinated by how hard people try to use logic and facts when dealing with some of these people.

Because the preacher preached a hundred times tbat the bible is the word... so they believed him...

Good review of cognitive dissonance. Upsetting a believer's version of reality doesn't always change minds. Facts and education are threats to them.

Prior brain development, for one! And reality is hard to take for some people. They can develop a fantasy way of looking at the world. The research shows that this personality will go against what would be in 'their best interest!' If I see someone in the act of hurting another person, with words or actions...I am going to speak up! Otherwise, I will 'respectfully pass and re-pass!'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16844
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.