Agnostic.com

36 15

Advice needed please

I have been born and raised (and subsequently am currently raising my 3 children) in a very strict religious environment. I have, over an extended period of time, had my eyes opened to exactly what nonsense I had come to believe as reality. I would walk away today in a heartbeat but the problem is that every family member, every coworker (I work for minimum wage for the church-yes literally minimum wage-while the pastor and all his family live in million dollar homes), every friend, are all wrapped in this religion and my children are 100% in it to win it at this point (15, 13, and 11). How in the world do I explain to them all of a sudden that everything they know- everything they’ve been taught in christian school, everyone they know, everything I’ve ever told them is all a lie???? I have contacted a secular therapist to try to schedule an appointment (very hard to find deep in the Bible Belt) but I could you some immediate advice from the atheistic masses please and thank you

CoCoCatina 4 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a nutshell; you have to separate from the church. Do no work for them, draw no income from them, don't rely on them to "educate" your children, nothing. Break from them as much as possible until you can break from them entirely.

Wow...ure in a hard spot being that it is so much a part of your job and lively-hood. Doesn't surprise me they don't pay you crap though, but hey, they'll be happy to pray for you, just as long as they don't have to actually DO anything, right? I would be very careful with this, they will most likely fire you in a heart beat. Family is an issue, but you won't be hungry and homeless if they have a problem with it, so for now tread cautious till you can find another job...and start looking immediately!!! I think that should be your #1 priority at this point.

Here is a link that lists a few different support groups that may be in your area and able to help. [sobernation.com] You could also reach out to [atheists.org] and [atheist-experience.com]. They may know of some resources available. I remember at one time finding a site for pastors that left the faith, but can't seem to find the link anymore.

Maybe just ask "innocent" questions that appeal to the strong sense of right & wrong that kids this age have, like why the Cannaanites had to be slaughtered, or why Job went through all that horror? Or, why we are condemned from birth by a "loving" gawd. Have Good discussions, you do not need to convert them, just make them Think.....the rest will take care of itself, just as it did for you.

Agree, basically you would be teaching them critical thinking and planting seeds of doubt.

I to live in the BB missouri. It is very difficult to be athiest. You must seek out like minded people near you to keep sane. You must slowly move to a new job and friends. I'm working on this, but I do get lonely for a voice of reason.

Move to a better place. See if you can find a good attorney to sue the church for unpaid benefits, report the pastor for tax evasion.

zesty Level 7 Sep 26, 2018

I think you have very little hope of deprogramming your children in that environment. Get out and go somewhere far away.

Take it slowly. Detangle yourself first before worrying about the kids. Find a new job, move if possible. Build a strong support system of non-religious friends. When you are ready to deal with the kids, remember to be respectful and not push your new beliefs on them. Explain your new beliefs and then be supportive as they deal with the confusing emotions. Focus on building strong relationships with them and maintaining open conversation and leave it at that. If they are ready to open themselves to a new perspective, they will come to you.

....being born into that environment (as I am
also)-we are constantly judged according
to social norms.Other family over time have
weined themselves slowly off the status quo
(as far as socializing activities);;;the process
takes years!!!
Choose your boundaries (and defend)
Build a network/as stated above,for support
...and choose your battles-some will be ok
with your decisions & others others may be
shocked or mad?this is thier "baggage".
It took me twenty some yrs.
..thanks for a good post::it's not
the destination- it's the journey ?️

@BBJong So true. I've caused myself a lot of grief thinking it needs to be a quick change. The best thing you can do is realize it will take time and be patient with the process.

Church of the holy braimwashing..run,get your kids and get away fast

Look for another job then take your kids and get the hell away from those idiots. The only other alternative you have is to keep your atheism to yourself and put up with the religous bullshit.

If you could find a job and a place to stay a ways away from those religous nuts you are working for now I think it would be easier to get your kids loose from all the religous indoctrination they’ve had but I’m sure it will take time and they may never recover from it. I’m the only atheist in my family and they know it. They generally don’t press me on my lack of religous beliefs and I don’t press my views on them. If they do press me on my lack of beliefs I show them the following pictures.

...you are part of thier "comfort zone"; be patient
as you reaffirm your needs ,that these individuals
cannot meet. Because they are living a fantasy
that is culturally encouraged; there is going to be a range of reactions - choose with care which
which relationships u value and choose to
continue. Be encouraged by others(aquaintantces,public figures,ECT) who
are available to demonstrate that they are in
touch with reality(they can safely live without
religion) !!!
Thanks for a good post!be confident that
u are doing the right thing- for u and them!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:168669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.