Agnostic.com

7 3

My vegan friends, what's your best red beans and rice recipe.

Wildgreens 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Boil red beans in coconut milk, water, allspice, garlic, thyme, onion, bayleaf, ginger, uncut pepper. When cooked, add salt and a little sugar. Should be savory and a hint of sweet. Add washed rice and bring to boil, lower heat to lowest setting. Cover and steam ar least 20 minutes.

I use about 2 cups beans to 2 or 3 cups jasmine rice. Liquid is about 6 cups. I sometimes add a tablespoon of coconut oil. You can use olive oil.

A can of red beans, a bag of precooked mixed blend of rice, Cajun seasoning to taste. Heat to just a simmer in the microwave oven. Maybe toss in a little cooked okra for color and character.

Take a can of diced tomatoes, add quarter or half cup dark molasses, quarter teaspoon chili powder (or amount to your taste), garlic powder or fresh garlic, diced onion, and quarter teaspoon salt. I like chopped celery in mine too. Mix well and put on top of hot R&B.

Ok here is my mom's recipe. Boil the bean with a dash of baking soda with thyme, oregano, parsley seasoned salt, paprika,laurel leaves, garlic. ( do not use can beans, it never comes out right with can beans for me). It takes a long time to soften, add water as old water evaporate. Do not let the beans get too soft, usually after two hours it is good. Removed beans from water and put water on the side for later. In a pot put olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, a few cloves (5 or 6) and onion power or onions cut very small with drained beans. Fry them together for a few minutes until all beans and add season salt to taste are mixed, add seasoned salt to flavor. Add rice and the water that the beans were boiling in and also add a can of coconut milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat until water has evaporated to just below the top of the rice and beans in the pot. Reduce heat to low and cover tightly for 10 to 20 minutes depending on quantity. Voila Island rice and beans. Rice and beans should be fluffy and soft.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I would fail this. My recipe calls for thick chunks of ham with my red beans and rice.

Thanks but read my post

@Wildgreens I did. Thatโ€™s why I said I would fail. It was a joke.

Something I've enjoyed is to cook up brown rice and legumes (I prefer lentils for this, but beans will work well too) and then chop up raw vegetables โ€” onion, tomatoes, cilantro, anything else you like if it's not too dense โ€” and press garlic and mash up avocado to mix with the diced veggies in a bowl. Scoop the hot rice and beans over the top of the mixture, and start mixing it in so it gets thick, add some seasoning herbs (Mrs. Dash has some tasty blends) and hot sauce and mix that in as well, and squeeze a bit of lemon over the top. And then it's ready to serve. The rice and beans heat up the veggies, but they don't really cook them, so you get their full flavor and the health benefits of raw foods and you don't have much work in terms of cooking or prep. It's quick, it's easy, and it's delicious.

@silvereyes I know some people don't like cilantro. I guess it tastes a little like soap to some? To me it just tastes like a fresh, almost sweet green. But, yeah, you can totally skip the cilantro. ๐Ÿ™‚

@silvereyes Oh, that reminds me, jalapeรฑo peppers and bell peppers work well in the mix too. ๐Ÿ™‚

@MrLizard I suspect it's similar to how beer (the hops, presumably) tastes absolutely awful to me. It's the flavor equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

For sure my grandma's but she wasn't vegan so ham will be included on those red beans for kick and flavor... I come from a long tradition of "Beaners". No different than any other Puerto Rican. My apology for not being a vegan but you said "rice and beans" so a Cuban and a Rican will always be there.

Thanks but read the rest of my post

@Rick_T ouch, I was gonna add the mofongo and pasteles but then I got to explain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.