Agnostic.com

34 8

Did you ever notice about history?

I was a story and political science major in college which was a long time ago. Since then I have noticed that history especially seems always to be writtten from the perspective of the winner. In the 54years since I graduated i have been looking for a history book that told both sides of the story and have yet to find one that does so.I am very disappointed in this regard because i believe both sides have something of value to offer the researcher.Wouldn't it be great if the history books started giving both sides?

Marine 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since the losers don't get to write the history books that is unlikely.

g

On the other hand, it takes almost overwhelming effort to un-do the years and decades of untruths, or outright lies that accompany tainted history. Any kind of obliteration of those lies and/or untruths may take lifetimes.

Did you see that series on the History Channel about our history from the Native Americans point of view? Very interesting and eye opening.

I'll have to check that out.

It is as it always has been. Pretty hard to write and keep your history when you're ground to dust under the feet of your conquerer.

We live in quite a different world now though. Its getting harder to hide the truth thankfully. It's still far from perfect.

Have not seen a book with that point of view. If you watch The history of beer it reveals the other perspective.

"History is written by the victors. -- Winston Churchill.

It's rare when completely objective observers are the ones documenting history.
Unfortunate, but true.

@PalacinkyPDX I didn't say Churchill was right, or that I agreed with him.
I simply used his quote to highlight the point that Marine was making in his original post.
I'm a student of history. I'm very aware of how mainstream "education" is often skewed to favor the agendas of the "victors".

You haven't studied the Civil War much, have you?

This

I had a history professor in college who told us that history is based on one-sided facts. Essentially, what we know about history has been told from one perspective or similar perspectives (the winning side as you put it), and it's the job of historians to research these civilizations and conflicts to come up with their own understanding of what happened. If enough historians agree on something, then that becomes a "historical fact." Up until then, I thought history was set in stone and always true, but historians always need to question our past to make sure it is accurate.

Can you give an example of what you mean by the "winner?"

Don't think you will ever find it in the same book.
The truth is generally harder to get.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.