Agnostic.com

30 8

Raising children with/without religion

I have a 4 year old daughter and I don't want to expose her to too much religion/God at such a young age as young children are prone to automatically believe everything they are told. But, I also do want her to be informed to the extent to eventually make her own decisions about belief/nonbelief. Any suggestions or advice on how to do this or how you as a non-believer have raised your children? Thanks!

kittieblue13 4 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you want your child to make their own decision, will you be including Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, animism, Wiccan, and satanic beliefs? There's a lot more. We just didn't have religion in our lives. They never asked.

good luck my kids were raised to question everything religions were just another topic to be studied an even though there mum believed in god none of them found it to be credible you will be her voice of reason peer pressure may come into play depending how religious your community is

My daughter, Claire has two atheist parents. We never took her to church. Claire is a Democrat and atheist.

We raised Claire to have self-responsibility, and to treat others with compassion, kindness and respect.

We taught Claire:

1. To enjoy exercise. At 28, Claire still plays tennis, hikes, runs and lifts weights. We took her hiking beginning at 9 months. In high school, Claire was a varsity tennis player all four years, like her dad.

Regular exercise build girls' confidence. Athletic girls see their bodies as competent and strong, not just an ornament on some guy's arm.

1. Have a healthy diet and lifestyle.

2. Volunteer to help people in need. Be a good friend.

3. Love reading, art, music and other cultures.

4. Writing and speaking clearly with good grammar and spelling. Never used baby talk. Friends marveled at how articulate Claire was at an early age.

5. To value higher education. Recently Claire graduated from the Univ. of Washington with a 3.9 grade point average.

6. A hard worker, Claire has a great work ethic. She works for a medical center as a safety and trauma prevention coordinator.

7. The importance of voting.

8. Problem-solving and negotiation skills.

9. We raised Claire without TV or video games. Thirty years ago, research showed screen time hurts kids' ability to read and focus in school, and increases attention-deficit disorders. Now one in 10 kids are diagnosed with attention-deficit disorders. No surprise there.

When she was three, Claire got to choose three, half-hour shows per week, so she would be conversant with other kids. She chose Sesame Street.

Claire and her dad loved watching the Rugrats together when she was 8.

We read and continue to read books.

Older than The Stars [amazon.com]

Little Changes [amazon.com]

This one is more 5-6 year old, depending on interest and maturity:

What Do You Believe? [amazon.com]

I have no kids yet. Though I believe that the right way to bring them up is with a mentality to question everything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:170167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.