Agnostic.com

63 4

What is your biggest fear?

As I get older, I see life very differently than I used to. How about you?

• 8 votes
  • 34 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 60 votes
Akfishlady 8 Sep 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (51 - 63)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not afraid of death, no one can avoid that. I am afraid of suffering or prolonged illness. I'm afraid of an unfunded retirement thanks to the current administration. I'm really afraid of not being able to do what I want when I want and that would cause me to be bored out of my gourd. I'm never bored because I always have a long list of stuff to do, if I can't do them it would be sad.

Went with lack of money, the others I can deal with.

That the world will remain ignorant religious oppression.

I watched my parents retire then havve nothing to get up for in the morning. Their physical & mental health declined & they sat around waiting for death. My mother is still waiting but for her its the 1950s & her father is still alive. My father orchestrated his own death in a way it was not medically considered suicide.

I don't plan on retiring (especially with this administration in office) & when I stop working for others, I have already started working towards what I will be doing. I have a plan to be active & vital. I'm setting up for my "retirement" business.
I'm in the gym 4 to 5 days per week & honestly, Death will have to chase me down if & when It wants me.

Already happened.

Poor health.... I've had a slipped disc and I know what it's like to NOT be able to pick you own underwear up off the ground. To sneeze and have every part of your body hurt. To turn the wrong way and pinch a nerve that sends so much pain down your body but you can't move because it only makes it worse. Everything else, is manageable

What's even worse , is when you undergo surgery to fix it , but they only make things worse . They lie to you and tell you , "Oh that pain will go away , in time , " but it doesn't . Then , after waiting year(s) as told to do , you learn that the surgery they did , wasn't the one you needed .

@Cast1es yeah, I was admitted about chiropractic adjustments and yoga. I hate pain killers. I was told I shouldn't run again and now I average 8 miles every other day. When it comes to health limitations based on injury or illness nothing is more humbling. I hope you've found a healthy way to progress past your situation.

@Fibonacci1618 Took multiple tries before I could even find a surgeon who was willing to try to fix it . I have regained some of my voice , although I can't sing , at least people can hear me on the phone , and the constant pain I was dealing with due the orginal surgery , has greatly decreased .

I have an almost crippling fear of my children being taken away from me. It started the first time I had a midwife home visit when my first son was born prematurely.

The lack of wanting to be educated.

Gotta care about life to fear anything

My views on life are quite different in recent years. I don't think we truly have free will, for instance (though I've thought that for many years now), and I don't think there's a persistent personal identity we carry with us through time. As I come to terms with this perspective and contemplate its consequences, I find there's less and less to be afraid of. I have some irrational situational anxiety, but that's not real fear. If there's one thing that I am fearful of, though, it's doing something unethical. Although I don't believe in free will per se, the closest I can come is to act in accordance with desire, and my desire is to live an ethical life and to harm no one, and to not give in to competing selfish desires — but there are many schools of ethical though and it's not always clear how to live the best life.

Growing old alone. I have been single half of my adult life, and having someone to share ideas, experiences, and feelings with is the best.

not recognizing my next psychotic break for what it is and actually harming someone

I had it all, by time I was 42 and lost it all by the time I was 49. I will get it 90% of it back though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.