Agnostic.com

3 0

Paranormal beliefs?

Quick background, raised Christian, left it a few years back. Now i believe in no gods. I've always been interested and abused by paranormal occurrences and I've had unexplainable things happen around me or to me directly before so my interest cannot stay at amusement. Can i be agnostic and believe in paranormal occurrences?

TimD 3 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on to what you attribute the paranormal occurrences. if you find a scientific explanation, or if you're not a scientist but you expect there is a scientific explanation even if you don't personally know what that is, that's different from just plain believing in, say, ghosts. i met a poltergeist once and i STILL don't believe in poltergeists! i just don't have another word for it to replace "poltergeist." so what shall i make of that? i have to say "i don't know what it was but i experienced it." i refuse to attribute a meaning to it that implies the existence of an afterlife or a supreme being or beings, but i am tethered to the limits of language.

g

You can be, but it's not rational. I've seen some weird shit that I cannot explain, but that doesn't mean it cannot be explained without resorting to unsubstiated explanations.

JimG Level 8 Sep 4, 2018

Of course!

Einstein taught us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form. No reason to think energy souls or entities don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

Besides, physics indicates that we are participating in creating our own universes/reality.

“Consciousness is fundamental, and matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

“It was not possible to formulate the laws of quantum mechanics in a fully consistent way without reference to consciousness.” Eugene Wigner, theoretical physicist and mathematician. He received a share of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1963

Quote:

“A fundamental conclusion of the new physics also acknowledges that the observer creates the reality. As observers, we are personally involved with the creation of our own reality. Physicists are being forced to admit that the universe is a “mental” construction.

Pioneering physicist Sir James Jeans wrote: “The stream of knowledge is heading toward a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine. Mind no longer appears to be an accidental intruder into the realm of matter, we ought rather hail it as the creator and governor of the realm of matter.

Get over it, and accept the inarguable conclusion. The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” – R.C. Henry, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Johns Hopkins University , “The Mental Universe” ; Nature

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.