Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Raising Free-Range Kids In An Age Of Helicopter Parenting Is Tough : Shots - Health News : NPR

This is about raising kids to be more independent and not sheltering them so much.

AlasBabylon 8 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My kids were definitely free range. From the time they were 4 & 5 to when they were 11 & 12 they lived in a really, really small town. There were only 10 kids in the whole town. I could stand out on my front porch and yell their names and in 10 to 20 minutes they'd be home.

I survived free range parenting, this is my little brother and I goofing around in our backyard, there was a tire swing on a heavy chain with a bit of tape wrapped around the chain so it didn't pinch your fingers and an old ladder suspended 8' in the air and a rope you could swing down from. In the background is a fort that we built with old shipping pallets and some salvaged nails, covered with leaves to keep out most of the rain. Most of the time we were away all day, climbing the bluffs at the end of the street, or playing Robin Hood in the swamp by the railroad tracks with our homemade bows and arrows.

My Mom gave birth to my little brother when I was one and a half . My upbringing was more like the kids in the original , " My gang ," black and white movies .

It's how I was raised growing up in Haiti, and how I raised my own, although in my kids' case, I was hanging around the farm keeping an eye on them as they and their cousins piled on the horses four at a time and tore around, riding bareback.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:171781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.