Agnostic.com

40 6

You are your worst critic? Is that quote true or false?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not unaware of my shortcomings, but I try not to beat myself up too much. That's what enemies are for, lol.

Absolutely true

Yup

Marz Level 7 Sep 8, 2018

I'm an INTP. My confidence is real, my arrogance is real, and my internal critic is a real loud obnoxious a-hole. He's constantly trying to convince me I didn't think or research enough before I spoke or acted. I'm certain without him I'd be an even less tolerable person than I am currently.

no one knows you better than yourself weak spots and all

Absolutely true

True. I always put myself down for not doing something that I earlier talked myself out of doing or say I could have done something better.

Me, too!

It is true sometimes, and false most of the time.

Yes, I am.
I'm a musician, and find a great deal of joy creating something.
But then I'll listen to it again, and think, meh, it could be better.
Even the songs that other people have said that it was good, I still feel like I could have done better.

I can constantly badger myself over things I see, but I can miss something I was blind to. I can hear someone's criticism and disregard it as untrue for its false assumptions but will echo for weeks months or years. Furthermore, probably missing some critique I should hear, but it's just as hard to tell someone in earnest as it can be to listen. I guess I know I'm biased so I get ruled out, and I don't have unbiased friends so that's a bit lacking too.

That quote is false. Someone's ego and capabilities make a huge difference in how they judge themselves.

We are generally our worst critics because nobody likes self-criticism. Others, in my experience, are much freer in their criticisms and actually, instead of disliking it, love the activity. Consequently, since we tend to be good at what we like, they are better at it.

Personally, it applies even more so, as I like myself so much that finding flaws is an arduous, distasteful activity. There are so few flaws it hardly seems worth the effort. 😉

Oh yeah, there are plenty of things I don't like about myself, therefore I am constantly re-inventing me into something else which at times I dislike even more....it is exhausting !!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:173613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.