Agnostic.com

11 5

Hi all! I'm a musician, pianist (for my own enjoyment these days) and choral singer. I've been involved in singing pretty much my entire life, starting back in the church days. I stuck that out because I love to sing. Now, though, and for many years, I've sung with a professional choir. We do the oratorios, like Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's 9th, among others.

Much, if not most, of this music is religious in nature; we rarely sing secular works (although Verdi had his complicated relationship with the church, so I have claimed him as a closeted at-least-agnostic).

I am often asked how, as an atheist, I can perform religious works. The answer is easy - I love the music. It is beautiful and uplifiting - and since it is in Latin or German most of the time, it is easy to overlook the religious aspects of the text, at least for me.

Thoughts? Someone told me I am delusional, but at least I'm happy. 🙂

poetdi56 7 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's all art. Any art that is created from passion is to be appreciated as far as I'm concerned. It's no different than appreciating 400 year old paintings even though they may be religious in nature. Or watching a movie or reading a book that has a religious nature to it. I've heard some contemporary Christian music that is incredibly beautiful both lyrically and musically.

Duke Level 8 Jan 24, 2018

I think at times we let our biases lead us down a literal path that prevents us from a personal interpretation, and possibly an appreciation of some very lovely things.

Welcome. My first born sings in church to my delight. Happy is a key word that should be front and center in every individual. I am not a musician but can do music via computers and do, composing and arranging for my delight and my happiness. Music is the Universal Language... second to none. I search on classical music pieces that can be converted into salsa and latin music. A church piece by Zipoli I converted it into a modern latin version of a sarabanda telling the story of the italian composer that died in a south american jungle... Albinoni adagio with an afro-cuban drumming into an old school guaguanco. Keeping the tone in the lyrics is about a dead lover. I will search for beauty were it is and if includes church and religion is not a concern. So I understand. And may you find happiness here in this little place. Welcome!!!

there are at least a couple professional musicians on here that appreciTe beautiful music

That's how it is. In the past, much of the music was definitely religious in nature; we can't get away from it--nor should we. The past is the past. Music is music.

Don't worry be happy. It's your life.

I don't see it as any kind of conflict, but I've run into folks who seem to think that anything related to religion has the capacity to contaminate them if they get too close!

skado Level 9 Jan 22, 2018

@AxeElf Where's the laugh emoji when you need it! hahahahaha

A friend is both an atheist and a choral signer. If you enjoy it, why should you stop?

Stopping is not an option. I was just curious to ask this great community.

I sing along to songs that involve god all the time. I love the song Stairway to heaven. Even though I don't believe in heaven. I also love ACDCs Highway to hell. Even though I don't believe in hell. Also today I can't get that song.. What if god was one of us.. just a stranger on the bus trying to make his way home.. song out of my head. I don't believe in god. But who cares.
Do what makes you happy, and don't worry what other people think. Easier said than done sometimes to ignore ignorant peoples rude comments but, be strong and continue singing what you love 🙂

Sacha Level 7 Jan 22, 2018

I felt the same way when I sang in the youth choir at the Presbyterian church I attended (primarily for social activities and the choir). I enjoyed the singing, the harmony, the music, my friends and had a wonderful time as a teenager participating. I never let the religious aspects of the activities interfere with the fun and enjoyment I experienced. Some of my fondest memories growing up were created there.

I did a similar thing at the Methodist church. Loved singing in the choir and touring with them in the summer.

I did the same - Presbyterian church choir, and a stint at my friend's Methodist church in their amazing theater troupe - we did a play about Thoreau. 🙂

Hey , good music is good music..
Dont think twice about it.. enjoy !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17453
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.