Agnostic.com

24 2

Would you work an environment if everyone else was religious except you?

I used to work as a music teacher a year ago. My other tutors that I worked with, were... nice I guess, but always felt that I was not really in with them, mostly because they were all christian. Although it was never stated outright I did have a sense that perhaps my work collegues were a little less friendly and inclusive simply because of my lack of religion. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Slimboyfat 3 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course! It wouldn't bother me unless it bothered them. I will say this; I own my own company, and I don't hire people who tell me upfront about their religious views. Only because it feels manipulative.

Usually goes like this. I run an ad looking for a drywaller or painter or what have you. I get a response that tells me little about experience and quality, but emphasizes that they are "Christian" or "a Christian company". I dismiss these immediately as people who are unable to discern important information. I just couldn't care less about the religious (or lack thereof) views of my personnel. I care about reliability, quality of work and presentation.

I think these people who do that think that Christian=honest, which I have never noticed to be true.

I don't think I could. I work in public education, but have sometimes considered moving to private education, even though most private schools in my area are religious. A few of my co-workers have made the move to private, religious schools, and one of them is quite happy at hers, feels she gets a lot of respect for the work she does and isn't over-worked, like most of us are. She isn't religious, but is much more able than me to keep that part of her philosophy under wraps, play their game, and not lose her cool when the religiosity gets too much. I'm much more direct with my emotions and my beliefs, so I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of environment with much aplomb, which is why I've avoided private schools, even though they might offer certain perks in the work environment that I don't get at my current job.

...That said, even though I work in public education, many of my co-workers are religious. Education just seems to draw religious people, since they feel it's their 'calling,' their way of helping others. I don't have an issue with that, but I do take issue with the sometimes near constant religious epithets, mentions of church, etc, that crop up with surprising regularity in a public school. There are days when I really leave work frustrated with the amount of religious crap I'm expected to tolerate. ...Maybe I'd be better off at a private school. Heh.

Pretty much, all my life. I live in Texas and a lot of Christians assume that everyone in the room is Christian. They are mostly all conservative, too. So I have nothing in common with them and in the past I have tried to fly under the radar. Nod and smile and avoid eye contact. But, in the last 10 years I have become more vocal about my personal feelings and guess what? I have not been arrested or fired, yet! I try to be respectful of the innocuous stuff, but I feel pretty comfortable calling out racism, sexism and close-mindedness and it feels really good.

I have worked at at least one Christian based nursing home. Worked there for 8 years and the religious aspect never bothered me. I am super non-judgemental on religion, to each their own. Actually was appointed the Ethics committee.

OwlRN Level 4 Sep 13, 2018

Depends on whether not they are assholes not religious. I work with a mixed bag of people and customers. I don’t discriminate against religious people nor do I expect to be discriminated against... I want religion kept out of education and politics… other than that I don’t much care.

I always have. Where I live, there would be no choice. Atheists are rare and very closeted here.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 10, 2018

I don't really have the occupational training to work at the looney bin.

Honestly if it were a place of work wherein that subject was creating workplace hostility, and HR proves to be unhelpful or makes the situation worse despite non-retaliatory clauses, then I'd look elsewhere.

Heck even if I just get fed up with all the thinly veiled proselytizing disguised as concern I'd look elsewhere.

Luckily where I am now only has one overtly religious knob-end, and he is by no means a company favorite. There are other religious folks, but they're okay and are open to discussion about the topic without getting all preachy.

Yeah I also live in Texas and so that’s basically my life. I have a few colleagues that know my feelings and we get along great, but often it doesn’t come up too much. I get the occasional religious email or something and I go about my day.

I already did. Not a problem.

Those are my only work experiences, but that's Texas! And while some hold me at arm's length, others have become exceptional friends. It's really not an obstacle unless someone actively & intentionally makes it as such.

I do now. I absent myself from those discussions & don't participate in "blessings" at luncheons. Amazing the work that can be accomplished while others are wanking to that olde tyme religion.

Honestly not sure I have ever worked in an environment where 90+ persent of my co workers were religious.
Not sure about “converting the heathens” to atheism. Spreading the faith is such a core elament to so many religions that your average Christian/Muslim/Sikh has had a lifetime of training in this task. While most have never been taught to think critically, thus my logic based arguments fall on ears that are not equipped to understand or learn from them.
When dealing with the faithful I have found it necessary to assess the intelagence of the person before engaging, some can listen to reason and not take to much offence, then there are the others, the lost causes, those who think that atheism is the same as satanism. For the most part these people are so blinded by faith and the indoctrination’s of their chosen religion that it is best to not engage, occasionally lie, claim to have found god and move on with your life. You cannot help the willfully ignorant

You're right! And, unless you know when to stop, you'll drive them into resentment and worse....

No, I wouldn't. I recently had an incident where an employee was putting up religious material on our company bulletin board in our small break room. I would take it down. After a few rounds of this (it was always the same thing), he put it back up with a note saying "Do not remove this! I may bring a soul to Christ. It's up to you."

Well that's a fucking threat. I got management involved. No further incidents.

Good for you! I respect that...a lot!

Nope. Could not do it.

Depends if I need the money! Can’t be too prissy if you have a family to support!

I tried to open a wellness center in a small town. The Christian community all thought I was a witch or at lease playing with the devil. It was a community health Center and I can be a witch sometimes. We held a service monthly of Unitarian Universalist not affiliated. Small town seem to breed more religious prejudice.

I tried to open a wellness center in a small town. The Christian community all thought I was a witch or at lease playing with the devil. It was a community health Center and I can be a witch sometimes. We held a service monthly of Unitarian Universalist not affiliated. Small town seem to breed more religious prejudice.

Yes, it involves a lot of tiptoeing.
Tongue in cheek/ not hurting others
sensitivities. Becouse if u do-better duck
and cover.

Unfortunately I do not do well in a closet, and I am not good at pretending either. But I became not such a hothead about it. When I came to the US from Germany, where roughly 50% are agnostic, astheist or do not claim a certain church it was quite shocking how religious ppl are in the US. I found it amusing how my colleagues looked at me as a challenge and tried to bring me back on the right path... I had very stimulating discussions... good way to put it, I guess.

@gebulldog I lived in NC for a short while and found the people lovely. They did view me as a bit odd but I’m not sure if that was my non religious stance or because I was English

Thats quite natural! when you r a minority within a group you suffer from society and doesnt matter how peaceful are they. Members automatically find you a different one. Unconsciously they will be conservative with you due to the differences and expectation from group network, even they might be nice to you due to the respect of differences. However from your side you feel like you can't be same as everyone. Basically This is nature of all religions as a huge contradiction between believe and behaves. Pretend equality and welcome everyone then divide them when it comes to benefits and power!

Sadik Level 2 Sep 15, 2018

I would be uncomfortable because their mythology is so easy to offend, and often pervasive in their talk. An example is a family member who recently died and is now UP THERE looking DOWN on us. Well, that just creeps me out to no end. When does he stop looking? And then that newly deceased person is with his loved one's now, happy in the anthropomorphised arms of God. Well, there's hardly anyone in heaven at ALL! Mostly just Jesus and the thieves. (Sounds like a Rock Group!) Well, so on and so on. ...not comfortable at all, if they want me to be in agreement. When someone stops me, full of grateful thinking, "Well, I guess God needed another Angel to do His work, and so he took my Sweet....". Do they really think Angels are dead Christains??? This goes on, and on, and on.I have to just get away. They think I am a sad heathen. ...so s

I've gotten used to it, after being in Oklahoma for so long. When I was a teacher here, I kept my beliefs under wraps and that seemed to upset the religious parents more.

Now that I am in a research position, religion is never brought up even though I know most my colleagues are theists.

I have worked with religious people and I am sure I will again, they're everywhere! It's never been a problem for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.