Agnostic.com

68 6

Where do you find meaning?

One of the few good arguments against atheists is the issue of meaning. The answer of the “New Atheists” is: “Life is even more meaningful if there’s no afterlife because it’s all we have” and “The answer to meaning will be different for every atheist, because it’s up to us to decide what will make life worth living”. This is all pretty, but it does leave a vacuum. Ultimately, the universe doesn’t know you are here, doesn’t care, has no purpose. Life has no purpose.

I am sure many would be atheists, can’t let go of religion because they find the idea there is no purpose to this whole charade that is life, ridiculous. They need a sense of meaning that’s beyond their individual caprice. Jordan Peterson has interesting ideas on the subject.

What gives your life meaning? Do you think life and the universe have a purpose?

Lucignolo 6 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I read the Bible, I find "meaning"....Lol!

I try not to have meaning. It seems counterproductive to being nice to folks.

Observing nature and reading scientific research work.

Through a Biologist’s eyes ,the meaning of ALL life is to pass on our DNA. Evolution makes sure that the best Genetic material is chosen .For me personally,the meaning of life is the success of my children and their children in the betterment of Humanity !

I came across this quote a few months ago, it is attributed to Albert Camus; "The meaning of life is whatever I'm doing at the moment that keeps me from killing myself." I think that works for me.

There is no universal meaning and that is the beauty of it.
You can choose your own meaning, and this is so powerful because it is YOUR choice, you control it and no one can tell that it is fundamentally wrong (although it can be harmful or inconvenient to the rest of the world and then they can try to stop you).

I don't think life or the universe have purpose. If you want your life to have meaning you can try to figure something out. Helping other people & animals works for me most of the time.

Carin Level 8 Sep 14, 2018

none of that leaves a vacuum for me I understand your second paragraph very well and agree with you yet I find my life incredibly meaningful , fun and learning being uppermost. I think I have said this before -damn that short term memory! but life is what I choose to make it and I can choose to bitch about it and enjoy that or choose to do some really nice things that I will also enjoy- My motto - enjoy the moment i'm in. Of course there are hard times always lying in wait and if you have a history of 'enough' it is plenty buffering for the downsides.

After Mealy and before Meander in the Little Oxford Dictionary (6th Edition 1986)

It is hard for me to fully grasp the question. It begs of itself that you have to be searching for some "meaning." The meaning in your life is whatever you choose to give it. Does life, the universe, and even Cosmos have a meaning? I haven't got a clue. The thought seldom crosses my mind. If it bothers you and you really want to know the answer just join one of these groups who have all the answers. If they cannot explain it all for you history shows that they will start just making it all up.

The dictionary, that’s my final answer.

Science, knowledge and self constructed morality based on kindness and conviction to truth, while helping protect those needing protection from individuals and groups

Sorry, I can't relate to feeling a need for purpose in life. Outside of religious debates/conversations I never think about it. I am an animal. Life consists of living and living consists of simple pleasures.
Like learning, building, developing, spending time with friends.

In hundred years none of this will matter but these things are pleasing to me and I find pursuing them to be constructive.

Meaning is something we give to life, not something life gives to us. I have plenty of meaning in my life. I think we should try to make the world a better place than when we entered it. Making a better world for our children and their children. And enjoying the brief time that we are here.

There is a meaning in evolution, which is to stay alive, reproduce and provide for the next generation.

I pass.

between "mean free path" and "meaningful" in my Collins dictionary 🙂
Jordan Peterson also knows a lot about lobsters

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:175242
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.