Agnostic.com

6 5

QUESTION 4 Tips for Talking to People You Disagree With

1. Don’t assume bad intent.
  2. Ask questions.
  3. Stay calm.
  4. Make the argument.
    This might seem obvious, but one side effect of having strong beliefs is we sometimes assume that the value of our position is, or should be, obvious and self-evident; that we shouldn’t have to defend our positions because they’re so clearly right and good; that if someone doesn’t get it, it’s their problem — that it’s not my job to educate them. But if it were that simple, we would all see things the same way.
    Watch the full TED Talk to hear her extraordinary story at the bottom of the article .
Dougy 7 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When you realize minds won't change:

1. Assume brainwash
  2. Replace argument with ridicule
  3. Make sure you have fun so that you want to do it again
  4. If a good argument is presented, save it, divert and digest later. Then return to serious convo

A fine post indeed, that last one was very necessary.

Good gfround ryles for civil discourse.

MeganPhelps-Roper who married a Jewish man. We had a previous post @Douglas on the video of her Ted Talk.

I didn't mean to repost . I can take this down if that's what I should do here . . . ?

no leave it-its ok

I disagree.

1.) Assume bad intent.

2.) Personally attack people; don't ask questions.

3.) Get infuriated.

4.) Same as #2.

5.) Most importantly, be a dick.

Will get you far in life. Heed my advice.

hahaha

Why not, it's probably why religion is treated with respect by most governments.

If you don't, you're a LOSER!
Besides, all their arguments against your views are FAKE NEWS.

Hey, I should be a politician because I'm smarter than everyone. Nobody else is smarterer.

Megan Phelps-Roper grew up in the Westboro Baptist Church and was picketing with signs like “gays are worthy of death” at the age of five.
She left 20 years later because strangers on Twitter changed her mind.
“Initially, the people I encountered on the platform were just as hostile as I expected,” she says. But slowly that changed. They started to ask about her beliefs, and she asked about theirs. Their conversations planted seeds of doubt, and slowly her entire worldview shifted — eventually driving her to leave the church (and the beliefs that came with it) behind.
"As kind as my friends on Twitter were, if they hadn’t actually made their arguments, it would’ve been so much harder for me to see the world in a different way. We are all a product of our upbringing, and our beliefs reflect our experiences. We can’t expect others to spontaneously change their own minds. If we want change, we have to make the case for it".

Dougy Level 7 Jan 22, 2018

I watched it! It was an amazing story. Everyone should watch that documentary.

I do agree with the 4 points you laid out. However, sometimes, depending the group of people I'm with personally, or depending the forum I'm watching personally - I'll just drop a bomb, walk out, and pick it up a few days later. I never have the intent for an arguement, but I do provoke them from time to time just to see the math in A. The people I'm dealing with, and B. The flaw in an idea.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.