40 2

Raised Atheist or left a religion?

Just windering how many people around on here were raised non-religious, as opposed to those who were raised in religion?

By michael18
Options Favorite Like

40 comments

Raised atheist. My father told me that god was like the tooth fairy for grown ups.

klang72 Level 4 Sep 13, 2018

That is responsible parenting.

When my daughter was 8 I told her that Jesus was Santa Claus for grownups. She laughed.

raised without religion by 2 white witches

weeman Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

Wicca is a religion.

@ldheinz yes i know but they were the ones practicing it it doesnt accept children plus its bullshit made up in the 50s and i was 12 when they decided to join their friends coven

I went to catholic school for 13 years. I always had little issues with their teachings, but as I became a teenager I drifted and eventually proudly identified as an Atheist.

slm8806 Level 2 Sep 13, 2018

Grew up in a fundamentalist christian church but struggled with Christianity from the time i was about 16 or so. Abandoned belief in my early 20s.

Fenix Level 3 Sep 13, 2018

Raised Catholic (Catholic school too) which was the beginning of my journey towards Atheism.

sassysapiosexual Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

Got depressed and Left religion. It comes with superstitions which were absurd.

bhasker1122 Level 2 Sep 13, 2018

Raised a cultural Jew by a mum who was booted out of her Orthodox family for marrying her goy boy. No love lost on her part, hence secular little me! My sons are the same - raised with a lean towards Jewish cultural identity, but none of the other rubbish.

texasgoddess Level 3 Sep 13, 2018

Goy boy ... that's awesome! My mother (a shiksa) was married to an atheist Jew from Brooklyn. They got along great—had a good run of 20 years before he passed away from cancer—and I learned a lot about Jewish culture from my step-father. In addition, my wife and I have some good friends who have a 'mixed marriage' (she's Lutheran and he's Jewish). They hilariously refer to their adult kids, who were ‘multiculturally' raised, as LuJews—pronounced, 'Loo-Jews.' Too funny!

Edited

i was neither raised an atheist nor left a religion. i was raised as a secular jew and realized at age 15 there were no gods. i didn't even think about not being a jew anymore; i'm still a jew. it's not actually a dealbreaker lol.

g

genessa Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

I was raised religious but I eventually escaped

omgwowsocool Level 6 Sep 14, 2018

I left religion nearly 7 months ago. I was raised baptist by parents and considered becoming catholic until I decided become enlightened. And joined this community friendly and honest free thinkers. I mentioned this in several other posts that I wish I left the dark years ago or raised as a non believer. Religion is why I a number of issues.

freedom41 Level 6 Sep 14, 2018

Left

skepticaljerk Level 3 Sep 14, 2018

Raised Christian, but it never took. I kept waiting for proof that never came.

ldheinz Level 6 Sep 14, 2018

I'm a recovering Catholic...did the private school thing through 10th grade.

mlucas12002 Level 3 Sep 14, 2018

Raised Pentecostal and thankfully escaped.

jpouch1 Level 4 Sep 13, 2018

Parents non practicing xians. I was the regular church goer in childhood. When I was eight My doubt grew as questions went unanswered.. by time I was 13, I was a non believer. Didn’t even know what an agnostic was. Became an atheist in my early 20’s. Raising my children that way.

Green_eyes Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

Neither.

Born and christened in the church of England, but my dad said I needed to make up my own mind.

Despite my school's best efforts to convert me, I remained an atheist.

Uncorrugated Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

I was raised but it was rather following the crowd especially if you live in a small town. My family is not that religious, my brother is also an atheist and parents are skeptical.

Agnieszka Level 5 Sep 13, 2018

Neither. Religion literally wasn't discussed in our house. My grandma that I rarely saw took me to church a couple times and that was the extent of my knowledge of religion.
This actually caused me to be very, very confused about what I believed when I hit my late teens. I didn't know what an atheist or agnostic was, I didn't know not believing in God was an option, I didn't know how to pray. I tried talking myself to church a couple times because I thought that's what "good" people did. I hated going because the stuff they were spouting off made no logical sense to me.
It was actually George Carlin that shined a light for me that I desperately needed. I caught one of his stand-up specials one night on TV and it changed my view on life. I began researching this whole 'atheism' thing and for the first time all the mysteries of the universe made sense to me.

KatMalina Level 3 Sep 13, 2018

I've always been atheist, but I was raised in a Christian family.
(They didn't know until two years ago.)

hrichardson8 Level 5 Sep 13, 2018

I was raised in it. I was always a bad Christian, didn't really feel it.. But didn't lose faith completely until my mid 20s

Acseeley Level 5 Sep 13, 2018

I was raised in religion... BUT DID LEAVE IT.

WeaZ Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

I was raised a Christian with a fundamentalist tilt (anti-evolution, anti-homsexual, no ordination of women, etc.) but finally de-conveted in my 50's. The baggage was very weighty, but once it was thrown overboard, I was finally liberated. As a result of being brought up in such a faith, and memorizing large portions of the Bible, I now see the Bible for the sham that it is, and am likely biased in my views. Namely, that the Bible is a worthless piece of trash, and religion has, on the whole, been a net negative.

pnfullifidian Level 6 Sep 13, 2018

Raised in an insane Pentecostal cult. Stopped believing such nonsense before the age of puberty.

Galihad_Z Level 6 Sep 23, 2018

Raised by parents who were raised Catholic and Anglican, but never once pushed any kind of religious belief on me, nor did they tell my about any myths relating to a god or Jesus. There were the very rare, "C'mon, get dressed, we're going to church" kinds of things, that were mostly for community show I believe, not a single reason was ever given as to why.

Byrdsfan Level 7 Sep 19, 2018

Neither one. I was raised xtian, but it never took.

ldheinz Level 6 Sep 19, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!