Agnostic.com

8 1

Having a thorough religious education, I attended Yeshiva (an Orthodox Jewish seminary) , but was dismissed because the Rabbis felt that I was "ethically unfit" (Upon rigid self examination years later, I came to understand that I was doing it for the wrong reasons). Years have passed and I have spent many years studying the sacred texts of almost all major religions, trying to find some basic "truths" about the purpose of human existence. The only thing that I have learned is that there is an idea common to almost all belief systems. That the greatest gift one person can give to another is to lift their suffering. Anything after that is fluff and surplusage. I would like to hear other folks experience and ideas.

DaveAaron 5 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You came to an opposite conclusion than Mother Teresa, then, because she came to the conclusion that suffering is beautiful and should be encouraged at all costs. D;

That's what I feel too. Of course it's just my interpretation on what we're "supposed" to do though. I feel good when I can limit or alleviate someone's suffering. On the selfish aspect of it, I also hope others do the same for me.

I used to work for Mormons....I think they’re nice people....they’re entitled to believe in whatever they choose to believe in....and the years I worked there....it became apparent the amount of young suicides within the families....as the young could see the good life....outside religion....some left the religion only to be abandoned by friends and family....other young souls....committed suicide

It could be the cause of suffering (shaming) in your situation , I too, spent a lot of time, studying the different religions and the 'take-away' for me was...once you join-up, with any one group or sect, then you are set apart from all the others! That is the reason I have so much difficulty joining any group...I just want to be part of the 'human race,' not one group! But, most power, is in numbers not singular!

Human existence has no inherent purpose. It simply is. What meaning there is to our existence is that which we give it by our own decisions and actions.

Thank you for your comment. I saw a group of people getting more attention than other groups of people. They pretend to be, "God's Chosen People." I see that as racist, and, very unfair. No one should accept this abomination against humanity.

I was brought up as a Reform Jew-10 years of Sunday School-upon my confirmation declared my non-belief in god-parents furious sent me on Bible Study Tour in Israel for summer. Never went to Hebrew School-my sister was bat mitzvahed. In Sunday School the story of Job really bothered me. Then the Holocaust changed my beliefs completely. Couldn't believe in a god that would let Jews be destroyed. How on earth could they be the chosen ones?.

I think you found the intended message accurately. The only thing I would add is that it applies to lifting one's own suffering as well, possibly even moreso since we have more access to our own selves. It's like having to put your own oxygen mask on before attending to your child's. You're more capable of helping others then.

skado Level 9 Jan 24, 2018

It is by lifting the suffering of others, that our own suffering is lifted. At least that is my experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.