Agnostic.com

42 22

Competition: healthy or not?

I have to say that I am not a big fan of the idea. I think I like to play things for fun and hope that everyone wins or at least has a good time playing.
This site has a bit of a competitive nature to it, is points and levelling up.

Now, I get the purpose of the idea, it's better to have interaction of someone posts and receives points for doing so. But I also see people who post endlessly just to gain more points. Or worse, putting provocative stuff on just to get everyone to comment.

I find it discouraging and I also feel the need to climb up with the points when I see people who have been here for such a short time passing mme. Or worse, asking for help from the site to get to the next level. I don't even know why it bothers me. Maybe because I have always been a person who likes things to be fair. Ha!
I never enjoyed playing against teams that were stacked with good players.

Akfishlady 8 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my short time here it seems to me the point system "pros" seem to outweigh the "cons. "..
As was mentioned above (below?) Once a person hits level 3 it's not a major incentive ..
Sure .. some are just trying to level up, but I think seeing interaction (even if it's not high quality ) is better then some groups getting nothing..
(If that makes any sense)

PS: I love the photo!

Jnei Level 8 Sep 16, 2018

Don't so much care about the points, or promoting that. I am really just interested in quality posts which, to me, are thought-provoking, or funny, or musically pleasing, for the most part.

competition itself is definitely healthy, I know personally it drives me to do better, better work, be more innovative, casual competition can make mundane tasks fun, serious competition can and has moved our whole species along

the emphasis our culture puts on winning can be a problem
the way some of us react when we win or are winners can be a real problem
the entitlement that many people feel when they are winners is a real problem

being competitive is not a bad thing, thinking that you are better than or more deserving than another person because you won some competition is one of the bigger issues facing society today (outside of god)

Guess I'm more of a cooperative kind of person, except when playing card or board games but those aren't that important. ?

Competition? I never really thought about it that way. I'm here to benefit from the accumulated knowledge and experiences of all the members here. And have fun, which is exactly what in getting. Didn't even notice my level until I achieved level 5! Then I checked and saw that most of my points come from talking to people about what interests me. I only make a post when I need advice haha different strokes for different folks I suppose. Do we get super powers at level 10. Lol

I think competition breeds success. This site is not competition. As for posting "provocative" items, provocative is in the eye of the beholder and some people actually have thought provoking ideas. One of the purposes for the site.

lerlo Level 8 Sep 17, 2018

Never thought of this site as a competition but healthy competition I see to be a good thing it brings out the creativeness of those involved.

@Akfishlady that's one I have always found pointless

@Akfishlady it is ashame, I would use the word sad but.

Enjoy your points!!

MattW Level 6 Sep 16, 2018

So is this just a post to gain points then? Maybe i shouldn't reply ?...shit, too late now ?. Nice beach though ?

If you are talking competitions like American idol I think the idea is beyond ludicrous. It is like blaming someone for not having a gift of talent when they are rejected. On the other hand giving a goal to achieve that all can achieve a little completion is welcome to encourage others to complete a given task and reap the rewards of satisfaction.

Points? I haven't even checked them yet. I'm shocked I haven't already been kicked off this site like I was on Facebook and Twitter and aol. ?

I do get a kick out this competition for points on here! Since competition is such an inate human instinct maybe it’s their main competitive outlet. Personally I prefer scoring points on the tennis court or golf course.

Gamification is everywhere these days, and many have come to expect it from dating apps. I will help folks up a level, but I am not as concerned about it for myself.

Is this really a competition or a recognition for being a contributor..???

Why should there be any "competition" for points in the first place? I never looked at the point system as a competition. Am I missing something or is the person with the most points awarded a trip to the moon?

@Akfishlady
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the t-shirt or any of the perks (well, maybe a little about the t-shirt lol). But, seriously, I'm not bothered by point-whoring in and of itself, I'm more disgusted by click-baiting tactics and low-quality contents.

Does it really matter to you what "level" you are? If so, why?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.