Agnostic.com

13 8

QUESTION The biggest cover-up in human history (literally) Books of Revelation

The science of palimpsests is a newly emerging science that uses modern technology to reveal hidden texts in age old writings especially those that were written on parchment. A lot of Christian texts were written over texts some of which were older versions of the religion or even century’s old manuscripts. To me it shows that a lot of things in the bible evolved from the original and are not true to the original texts. We had a discussion on the errancy of the bible due to translations or revisions and this is another example of biblical propaganda.

In his poem “Endymion,” based on a Greek myth about a shepherd beloved by the moon goddess Selene, John Keats paid tribute to the enduring power of superior works of art. “A thing of beauty is a joy for ever,” he wrote. “Its loveliness increases; it will never / Pass into nothingness.” Surely to uncover lost poetry from an ancient civilization from which we draw so many of our literary traditions is as exciting as unearthing any material treasure.

And this promise reaches beyond aesthetics. When classical Greek literature was rediscovered during the European Renaissance, it remade Western civilization, and planted seeds that still shape our lives today: Thomas Jefferson’s ideas about the pursuit of happiness were sparked by the Greek philosophers; suffragists were inspired by Euripides’ heroine Medea. Like finding an old photograph of a long-dead relative, discovering a lost piece of text can help us glimpse ourselves in the people who came before us.

With a degree in history and graduate work in Records Management which includes archives I find this sort of story amazing.

JackPedigo 9 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The advancement of these studies will no doubt reveal things completely unknown or only heard of in reference. I do hope this work proceeds apace. I had heard of similar techniques being used to reveal the reuse of canvas materials as well.

I loved it...so many things that I questioned way back when, no science answering thanks for sharing.

That was fun, I've read several pieces on the sources of the books of the Bible and am more than willing to keep an open mind. The Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi Scrolls,etc. are either sources that point to the verasity of the 'Bible' or for us skeptics, free thinkers, etc. confirm nothing or show the holes in the man in the clouds. I enjoy archeology and new discoveries from our earliest ancesters is facinating.

John, not John the Baptist but John wrote Revelations. I think he spent approximately 2 months on an uninhabited island. He was a religious extremest. John went into a fast. During that fast, he wrote Revelations. I had a friend who fasted for 3 weeks once. She wound up in a Greek mental hospital, gone for 9 months. She said she ask the staff what she did while she was gone. They told her she sang a lot. She swears she was abducted by aliens. Either way, is not much consequence. Back to John. I have read Revelations. It is at best mostly symbolism. As far as I am concerned, I think Revelations would only mean anything to John, the crazy man who wrote the book.

I have come to pretty much the same conclusion about Revelations. As to fasting, for true religious experiences it's hard to be. LOL

Also seemed like belladonna was a part of his "vision", also. Of course, that may just be me!

What I find fascinating is the stories in the Bible that were lifted from previous cultures and incorporated as original stories to the Bible. Stories such as the Ten Commandments and Noahs Ark are just two that come to mind off hand.

That has been ongoing from the very beginning. If a religion can't cope with a culture because it is so ingrained the religion will incorporate it within it's own dogma.

@JackPedigo Very true, Christians have incorpoerated and usurped numerous stories and holidays other cultures and religions that both pre-dated the Bible and concurrent.

@misstuffy My late partner was from Iran. The biggest holiday there is their new Year's, No-Ruz) which takes place on the first day of Spring. The religious controlled government can't get rid of that holiday which is secular so they have added some religious messages in the holiday. It happens to all the religions.

Actually, Revelations as it turns out was a first century rant by an irate citizen predicting the fall of the empire. See Pagel, et. al. It does not predict the end times and never was intended to.

If someone can gain from something they will do so and the religionists gain from instilling fear in it's followers.

The poor Chrisitans expecting and even working for an End of TImes Scenario to happen will be so disappointed....no apopcalypse for them!

The problem is, with many Dominionists & other fundamentalists actively seeking the "end times", they may inadvertently (or deliberately) bring them about. Why look for a real peace in the Middle East when you are looking forward to Armageddon?

The story of humanity is itself a palimpsest, and we as individuals can only grow, adapt and evolve by overwriting bad or incomplete code. That ancient texts underwent constant revision, edification, interpolation and alteration there can be little doubt. But this brings into question the very term ‘revelation.’ And so here I must resort to quoting my avatar:
“It is a contradiction in terms and ideas, to call anything a revelation that comes to us at second-hand, either verbally or in writing. Revelation is necessarily limited to the first communication—after this, it is only an account of something which that person says was a revelation made to him; and though he may find himself obliged to believe it, it cannot be incumbent on me to believe it in the same manner; for it was not a revelation made to me, and I have only his word for it that it was made to him.”
Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794

Good word palimpsest🙂

It is called 'history'. History needs information to be credible but everyone interprets history differently. Facts are necessary and the palimpsests reveal how some important history has been covered up either by design (the value and rarity of parchment) or intentionally.

I have read about over written texts. It makes a lot of sense because paper was a scarce resource.

Nice post. It is amazing. I was a history major in college, and love the arts. You should look at my meager web page.

[msmannix.wixsite.com]

Very nice. So you were interested in art history. I am not a poetry buff but my late partner was Iranian and poetry in ingrained in their culture. I still have her books (in Farsi) from Haffez and Rumi.

One of her favorite poems I read at her memorial.
[thehumanist.com]

This is generally what I am led to believe,especially to the biblical Jesus.
A lot of Christian texts were written over texts some of which were older versions of the religion or even century’s old manuscripts. To me it shows that a lot of things in the bible evolved from the original and are not true to the original texts.

Can you cite a researcher who has done this amazing work?

The names of researchers were in the article.

What is perplexing how many other thing the vatican and other controlling interest altered documents in order to control people.

Just nonsense. (IMHO)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18030
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.