Agnostic.com

30 16

Why do people act badly at family events?

Weddings bring out the best and worst in people.

Yesterday my daughter, Claire, 28, was gracious with everyone, showed good manners, and was emotional during her wedding ceremony. She cried with joy.

Growing up, Claire hated it when I nagged her to close her mouth while chewing, put her napkin on her lap, and sit up straight. “I don’t believe in napkins,” Claire told me at age 20. “I use paper towels.”

So, I was amused to see Claire at the head table: chewing with her mouth closed, sitting straight, using good table manners, delicately patting her mouth with a cloth napkin, and putting the napkin on her lap. Too funny! Claire listened, after all.

Claire’s dad was an hour late for family pictures, grandstanded, and tried to make it about him. Everyone stood around waiting for him. Using a microphone, Terry talked about himself, insulted millennials (90% of the guests), and forgot to give the toast. He was also cruel to me. Stick in the knife and twist. I did not reply and walked away. Terry is becoming more like his narcissistic mother.

Claire has over 50 friends who love her. It was fun meeting her friends. I felt overjoyed to talk with members of Terry’s family whom I haven’t seen in 20 years. They were happy to see me and remembered my laugh! We had a great time.

“Your mannerisms, intensity, inflection and the way you tell stories are exactly like Claire's!” four people told me. “You both make me feel I was there.” I was amazed.

I was the only person who brought a warm coat. Temperatures dropped into the 30s after dark. The wedding, dinner and reception were outdoors at a winery.

"Just use your mind to stop feeling cold," a young lady said. I was shivering hard. "Mental concentration does not prevent hypothermia," I replied. "I'm going to get my coat."

Today I felt like I was beaten by a 2x4. Must have been tense yesterday. I didn't drink alcohol because I had an hour-long drive home in the dark with sharp curves. Drained, I left at 8:30 p.m. as young people partied on.

Claire’s wedding was touching, simple and beautiful. My tears welled up when Claire walked down the aisle.

What an emotional roller-coaster! I'm going to try to focus on the positive.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kids are always listening, even if they pretend not to hear when they're young. It's good to give them the lesson in manners, in case they need or want to use them some day.

I wonder if men/fathers sometimes feel left out of the attention when so much is given to the moms/ladies who have the hair/makeup stylings, maybe had a hand in the event planning, moral support and so on. Sometimes the dad might feel a little left out of the loop while contributing equal money to the event, but not feeling as appreciated.

I think I noticed a bit of that from my ex, regarding our daughter's wedding. We were fairly newly divorced, but agreed to split the cost, yet I got more attention from our daughter than he did for my small part in the planning, which caused him to grumble out splitting the bill 50/50, so I ended up paying more to keep the peace.

Luckily he was on good behavior though and wasn't insulting toward anyone during the wedding festivities. His parents taught him there was a time and place for that kind of behavior and weddings/funerals were not that place. That standard will likely be passed on to our kids as well.

not everyone does behave badly at family gatherings. some people behave badly outside of family gatherings instead, or too. i don't think weddings and funerals reveal real character any more than daily life, but i DO think family gatherings can make people revert to old relationships, not all of which are peaceful, and there is also the comfort factor: people feel more at home (sometimes) at home. to THAT extent maybe they reveal their true character, but i wouldn't generalize.

g

Some people are just too oblivious to how their actions can make other people feel.

While it's not the behavior I would have exhibited, we have to take your recollection with a grain of salt, esp. considering it is blatantly obvious he is your ex. The things you said might have not been suave, but I would by no means say he behaved badly from your description. I would classify that more as he didn't do what you expected, and you're being a little harsh. He didn't get drunk, he didn't call her a whore, he didn't call her new husband a pathetic loser who isn't good enough for her...etc. Maybe my bar is set a little too low...maybe your's is set a little too high?? That's all I'm saying 🙂

Gtrz to her and glad you were able to be there for her!

I think sometimes that why some families have to drink at every get together. They still backstab, bitch and fight but they laugh, hug and cry too.
I'm glad I no longer attend my ex's family gathering for that reason. Why hang out, when you despise each other's presence?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.