Agnostic.com

7 0

Should I still attend church?

I've made many friends and connections at a little fundamental, baptist, KJV only, skirts in public, church. 😛 Should I cut off all ties with them and their belief system?...Or risk stepping on toes and being added to prayer lists?

Freethinker85 4 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

that is up to you. we can't tell you what you should do. we can point out options if we have enough details. for example: if you really hate church services, don't go. if you enjoy them despite not believing in a god (i am making an assumption there) then go. are your friends really your friends -- in other words, like you for yourself, believe in your ability to make decisions for yourself, respect those decisions even if they're different from those they would have made, themselves, not bully you, not force you to do things you don't want to do. by stepping on toes, do you mean making them uncomfortable because they wish you were just like them? that's not stepping on toes. that's being yourself, and a real friend doesn't consider that an attack. you may not be able to stop them from adding you to their prayer lists, but since no one is listening to or answering those prayers, it amounts only to how insulted you would feel at their doing that. as for connections, i don't know what kinds of connections you mean, but if they will not treat you with respect, you do not need those connections. if they do treat you wish respect, there is no reason to cut them off just because they have a different belief system from yours.

g

I don't attend any churches and try to avoid religious people.
WHY would you attend another misogynisitic, oppressive church for no reason? Who cares what they think, LOL!

Stop going if you really have stopped believing. If the friends you’ve made can’t accept you and your decision then they are not true friends, My friends all go to church but accept that I am an atheist and it doesn’t affect our friendships.

Step on the toes stomp on feet ... If they know you as a good person then maybe your example to go beyond the thinking of the church will inspire a precious few, You can save them from eternal wishful thinking.

I've been on several prayer lists for a while. Worked out great! LMFAO

If you have to ask, then perhaps you should not.

That's up to you. There's no wrong or right about it. If your church provides a sense of real community and you either don't care about pretending or find that less costly than ostracism, then do what you want. But I'd suggest that the fear of ostracism and sanctimonious judgment should tell you something about the dishonest and unreliable and conditional nature of this "community". And I would suggest seeing if you can't do better. Is there a UU or liberal Christian church nearby that's viable? If so, it might be better (and a source of personal growth) to endure the culture shock of learning to interact there. In my community I'd take the Episcopalians over some KJV-only cultists any day of the week, but that's just me I guess.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181069
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.