Agnostic.com

18 2

Is humanity doomed?

Figures like Bill Gates say that everything is getting better. Are we to take this as a reason to not panic so much any more, or is this a mistake given all the other human cultures which improved to a point before the infrastructure gave way? Is our potential for extinction greater than every before, or will calamity only restart the species like it did in previous societal "falls"?

Don't put too much emphasis on the "worrying" bit. I understand worrying doesn't help solve issues. I really just mean should we we feel some level of caution about these things? Also feel free to comment about how much you think we should be cautious.

By modern society, I mean having an understanding of modern science and its methods. So we still might have a society, but I mean one that utilizes scientific thought to the capacity we do now.

And resources on this topic would also be great.

• 5 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 18 votes
Honestape 6 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe Mankind has a positive future, it won't happen in our lifetime, but maybe in 500 years. I see a world at peace, a fair world for all, with no crime and no hate.
If you consider where we've come from - we have a wild and savage history, we came from a world where man had to kill or be killed. We fought off wild animals, diseases, hunger, cold, etc.
Life now is paradise compared to what our ancestors dealt with, and it is getting better.

gater Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

All species go extinct, through catastrophic events or evolving into a daughter species.

we are proper fucked on many levels because of our greed and overpopulation. things just arnt infinite on a finite planet.

Hopefully we get lucky and many people of this year will be raptured out, considering the new claims and signs. I’m tired of all the loony people messing things up. On a serious note, I think the Universe will continue to be here for as long as it last. It’s already been here for billions of years. Life and the universe will go on, even after our generation is long gone.

[babylonbee.com]

It's only a matter of time before some idiot presses the nuke button or we get hit by an asteroid. Just hoping it doesn't happen in my lifetime, my son's, or that of any grandchildren that I live to grow attached to. But ultimately, it'll happen at some point.

The asteroid will hit eventually, but it could be many millennia from now. Whether humans are still around when it happens is anyone's guess: mine is that they won't be.

I don't live daily worrying...but, if I hear or see some injustice then I want to act! I take whatever action that I can and asap, I go on to the next thing in my life! But in these last few years, it is consuming a great deal of time, even with small actions! There were always injustices...but now they seem to be common place!

I’ve seen this article. I am not a conspiracy theorist, so I take some things with a grain of salt, but... I also read an article about the wealthy purchasing underground-built “apartments” prepared for fairly long term living in mind, in case of a major or world disaster. It seemed like a legit story.

Artificial intelligence and robots will be able to do all labor,surgery, teaching research so why do we need humans and what would they do that's better than the robot? Robots have knowledge and can recall it faster and without error than humans. Not only that but they can correct the errors based upon other acquired knowledge.

I voted that we should be worried about the human species for specific reasons. Ignoring the "Great Filter" hypothesis, we have several obstacles to overcome before we can even begin to think in terms of a long future history for our species.

We need to dispose of several counterproductive behaviors. Among them are prejudice, greed, bigotry, etc. These behaviors hold us back in many areas and help lead us into the next obstacle on the list.

We need to grow out of our combative nature. At the local level we murder one another with great regularity. On the global level there exist today more than enough weapons of mass destruction in all the arsenals of the world to destroy the human presence several times over.

We need to dispose of the fictions we all assume are reality. These include such things as sovereignty of nations, the borders that we erect, the fantasy of economies, religions and other superstitious endeavors, etc.

If we manage to get through these barriers, we then stand a good chance of becoming a Level I civilization and although there would remain hurdles to be gotten over as a Level I civilization, our chances would be increased thousands of times over what they are today.

We have the capability, but so far it appears we lack the will and the latter is the more important.

[futurism.com]

I don't pay any attention to the doom and gloom sayers. They have been predicting the end of the world forever. The only thing that doesn't change is the fact that everything keeps changing. We will have our time and then we will be gone, but we'll do it without me worrying about it.

We're doomed. I've been saying it since I was 6. Honestly, I'm surprised one of the religions hasn't grown tired of waiting for their salvation.

We should do many things about many things ... but I don't think we will.

And away we'll go. And the animals will rejoice !

My opinion is our species will endure , evolution can't keep up with the changes we are making to our planet. We may become the cause of every other species going extinct but homosapiens will survive. We are a resilient bread . The society as we know it probably not but we will adapt and overcome .

By society I was referring to out social hierarchy. Science will live on by very definition . Even if every science book somehow became destroyed sooner or later they would all come to the same conclusion we already have. The same cannot be said for the Bible or the Quran.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nothing lasts forever.

We know that the solar system will be consumed by the sun in about 3 1/2 billion yrs. By then we will probably colonized some other planets. Baring a Hugh asteroid hit and nuclear war, some of us should survive. I personally plan on watching the sun go nova, I need to get a good pair of sun glasses.

Not the whole solar system. Jupiter and beyond will continue to go their merry ways; possibly Mars too, somewhat scorched.

@Coffeo I believe your incorrect. What I read that it's certain to consume at least as far as Jupiter. We should all be shopping for 2,000,000 sunscreen.

@steve148 Where did you get this? Nothing I have read suggests expansion beyond the current orbit of Mars. Mars will have moved outwards by then and might escape with a roasting.

@Coffeo I can't remember where I read it. But it was confirmed by Niel Tyson on one of his shows about 1 yr ago. He even described how it would tear all the planet as far as Jupiter apart.

@steve148 I know he's an astrophyicist, but something is wrong. There's nothing to suggest the sun could expand this much, based on observations of other stars of similar mass. And the sun isn't massive enough to exert that sort of tidal force on Jupiter. Even Earth wouldn't be torn apart: it would be melted and then probably vaporized. (Yes, I know it's just as bad.)

@Coffeo I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I plan on watching the entire event

@steve148 Book early!

If we're going to be fine and we do nothing, no problem.

If we're going to be fine and we do something, no problem.

If we're in trouble and we do nothing, we're definitely doomed.

If we're in trouble and we do something, we might have a shot at making things better. If not, at least we tried.

Call it Hawking's Wager. I'm putting my money on "let's not kill all the fish, cut down all the trees, and poison the air."

I completely agree.

That's a solid answer.

@Jayneonacobb Must be why they call you "the hero of Canton", eh? Shiny!

I don't like the screw it part because it sounds like I'm just being a nihilist. I think we will give rise to the next species relatively soon. AI might take up the mantle or a genetically/technologically augmented form of humans. I don't think this is any worse than a child inheriting his/her parent's wealth. In this situation the wealth is knowledge, the child is whatever comes next, and our responsibility now is to make something we can be proud to call a successor. This doesn't mean our death, just our retirement.

I'm cool with retirement. So you don't think that something will come along and sweep all or most of technology from underneath us before we get to that point?

@Honestape I'm optimistic that something won't. We've nearly destroyed ourselves in the past but recovered, no reason to think we couldn't do it again. Something besides us we couldn't see coming, maybe, but we can predict meteors that get "close" 15yrs in advance or further, so I feel good reason to be optimistic. If I'm wrong, we still did a lot of awesome stuff. We might even get a memorial made for us by a different species from a different world for our effort.

We're going to be just fine... we are going to excel like crazy... they ask the same question all the time. No one is crazy enough to push that button.

Maybe not, but there is also the possibility that while they aren't crazy enough, they are stupid enough. Or no?

Only time will tell.

@jlynn37. Your so right...

@Honestape What about crazy and stupid? I can think of some.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.