Agnostic.com

6 1

Why are people convinced the sense of self will exist beyond death?

I believe that the sense of self, or the ego, is a physiological response and a buffer to the information that is constantly being perceived. I believe only oblivion awaits the ego at death, as it is a localized brain phenomenon. Why do others think that ego exists beyond the biologic? Why do they believe that the ego goes anywhere beyond nonexistence when one reaches death?

rabidazzle 5 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have what you might call a ‘kinder and gentler’ perspective about the inspiration for an afterlife, which involves love and loss, as opposed to an egocentric extension of oneself. When you’ve lost someone you deeply love, and dearly miss them, you are open to any idea or philosophy that gives you hope that you will see them again. Love was what motivated our ancient ancestors to develop the idea of an afterlife. Later—much later—religion capitalized on this feeling, created a superstructure, and turned the whole thing into a reward and punishment melodrama. But the core fact remains, we miss those we’ve loved and lost, and we would do almost anything, including delude ourselves, for the chance to be with them again.

This is an incredibly adept perception, and makes total sense. This philosophy is what I see when I ask the theists in my family this question. Comfort and love drive them to follow such dogma. At least they don't subscribe because of Pascal's Wager, which is the most common argument I hear from theists.

@rabidazzle Sadly, I caved into Pascal's Wager in my late teens, doubling down on faith, following a period of rebellion and doubt. It wasn't until much later in life, and as a parent of young adults, that I allowed myself the luxury of doubt, once again. Peace.

because they want it. they want a god to tell them how to behave because it is easier than thinking for themselves. they want an afterlife because it is easier to think about that than to think about death.

g

Your question should be "Why do SOME people. . . " as with the exception of my mother, all those I know and respect hold no such make-believe notion about life after death.

Why do those who do belive in afterlife. . . I really don't know. I find that belief mind-numbing.

Because idiots cannot cope with reality.

Au contraire, Einstein taught us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.

No reason to think energy souls or entities don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

This is an interesting perspective. I have to ask, what leads you to believe that your ego is imprinted on your life energy? I absolutely agree that our "life" goes on in the form of energy, powering the existent eco system, yet I have never been convinced that the human mind, the mental "imprint" so to say, does anything but cease to be after biological death.

Because it's comforting. Nonexistence very often creates existential dread. To avoid this people make up stuff without evidence.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 20, 2018

Compared to immortality (living forever), mortality (in my opinion) is a more desired outcome.

@NoMagicCookie
I don't know. I find the thought of being able to live forever somehow intriguing. In the sense that you don't die without an external cause. So, I'd like to be able to die but don't have a limitaiton of how long I can live. So I would probably kill myself a few thousand years after the universe turns dark but that would depend on what other life form are still there to keep me company. On the other hand if I could hop into another one of an infinity of other universes I might have no reason to kill myself. That also depends on how memory works. I will have to forget things (otherwise my brain would one day become a black hole) so there is always "new" things to discover.

@Dietl As an immortal, in the context of this discussion - (the believer living in heaven forever) there is now way out. "Killing" yourself as an immortal in heaven (or by definition of immortal) is not a possibility.

@NoMagicCookie
Under those condition you're right imo. Heaven sounds boring, I'd rather be dead 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183305
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.