Agnostic.com

21 4

Christian by culture?

As someone who identifies as agnostic/atheist, but comes from a Christian culture and value system (and practices many of those values, but with a progressive/equality focus), how difficult has it been to find someone with the same core values, but who isn't a practicing Christian?

BikeHikeTravel 3 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't accept the premise of your question. For most of its history Christianity has practised vile values and in many respects still does. Modern Christianity has mutated with a thin veil of pretend humanism and humanistic values in the post Enlightenment period. The value system that influences me is drawn from humanism and other antecedents not from the catastrophe known as Christianity. Finding friends and lovers or partners with similar humanistic and progressive values has always been a challenge, but that's life.

Values...such as rejecting and condemning the LGBTQ community, relegating women to second class, rejecting science and education, attacking and condemning anyone who doesn't believe exactly as they do in their particular churches, etc... THOSE values??

Tell us a story of values from Christian culture. I like the stories of missionaries delivering the 'good word' to savages around the world or the many wonderful tales of the Westboro Baptist Church and how they demonstrate their Christian values. So, I guess my question back to you would be, "How do you distinguish Christian values from humanitarian values?"

Difficult but easier in the Unitarian church where i have several atheists friends.

Have you ever considered them as just human values rather than Christian values?

Oh. So atheists are slutty, whore ponies and you don't want to hang out with them. Got it. I cannot imagine why you are having trouble meeting someone ??

christian culture doesn't exist. all kinds of people worldwide are christian and their cultures are those of their locales; even their christianity differs by locale. not counting roman times, christians have not been isolated, resulting in their forming an identification not connected with country and thus a culture unique to the religion (example: jewishness, as opposed to judaism). christian VALUES, ah, there's a laugh. only christians seem to identify values they may or may not actually hold and practice of being good to other people, being honest, being charitable, etc., as christian values. they're human values, and quite frankly, as far as christianity is concerned, they're theoretical, because that's not MY observation of christians at ALL. abandoning your faith may turn out to be the best thing your values ever experienced. you'll find nonchristians with the core values you've been thinking are christian, and they'll actually live by them!

g

I am very interested in this post, but, like others, would like some more detail on what you mean. I hope you have time to provide. some.

thats easy go to your local pub

The excellent answers I see below make me happy to be in this group! The question is an ethnocentric one that also ignores history. The Christian values of Spain in 1450 are quite different from the Christian values of a Massachusetts Congregationalist church today which are quite different from that of fundamentalist Mississippi church.

Would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "Christian value system...with a progressive/equality focus"?

We don't have a Christian culture, I reject the entire premise of this post. Christianity has no culture, it did not invent morality. Some of us are a certain kind of Christian because some English king decided he wanted a new wife so he switched sects so he could remarry. There is no morality inherent in Christianity, and it teaches none that was not evident before it came around.

I agree that the US isnt a christian nation as a whole but I don't think that was the premise of the question. Whether or not Christianity invented any original aspects of morality and whether or not anyone can be culturally christian have little to nothing to do with each other. Americans' cultural aspects of puritanism, the self flaggelating work ethic of the poor, patriarchical aspects of authority, and churchlike layout of our judicial system are all evidence of a predominantly christian culture. Most of our laws were written by christians.

Our founding fathers didnt design us to be an exclusively christian nation but so far it has predominantly worked out that way. Particularly locally in areas like mine deep in the bible belt, the overwhelming majority of white and black culture alike is based on old time religion. I definitely live in a christian culture whether I want to or not. Im not allowed to run for office in Tennessee as an atheist. We might not have a christian culture by design but a lot of areas certainly do in practice.

As G. K. Chesterton once wrote,

“When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.”

As a clarification:

[Reading some of the comments, we all seem to have a different idea of what Christian values are to each of us. There seems to be some hostility and skewed ideas as a consequence of that, so I'm going to ignore those comments. My question wasn't intended as a judgement about others.]

I'm referencing core values that are more New Testament focused and revolve around respect for others, respect for self, integrity, equality, monogamy, "love thy neighbor," "Do unto others," etc. and not old testament, Evangelical beliefs that are used to control or demonize others or their behaviors.

I appreciate, recognize, and embrace that there are universal values that go beyond religion, and that a lot of upbringing in the secular world includes some or all of those values. I've personally found that it's hard to find those in a complete sense outside of a religious background and upbringing. Example: non monogamy and casual hookups (which aren't my thing) seem to be much more common nowadays - and I'm not passing judgement - but it has made it much harder to navigate the dating world as someone who isn't religious, but who came from that background and upbringing and is seeking that in a relationship... Hence my original question about values.

Well, you seem to have ignored a great deal about what has been said about your assumptions about so-called Christian values, seeing them as "skewed ideas". That's your right. In return I must say that I find your view of these "values" to be simplistic and naive. I've encountered this before, especially from Christians.

you find that religious people have more respect for others, more integrity, more belief in equality, and a higher degree of monogamy?

cause I've talked to a lot of Christians, a lot, and a lot of atheists, and I find that atheists tend to fill all of those better, except possibly monogamy, and there are still plenty of monogamist atheists.

in short, I do not share your experience, maybe it's your area.

You seem to assume that the core values of "Christian culture" is substantially different from other cultures. Every culture has it's own idiosyncrasies but the core values are about the same. To point out the best or worst comparative attributes of different cultures in order to make a given culture sound better or worse, in my opinion, is just salesmanship. answer: don't worry about it.

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 21, 2018

Many people are not practicing Christians but they get all out of joint when you say anything against Christianity. This is a part of Christian culture.

Regardless of someone’s beliefs they are informed and influenced by their childhood environment, their culture, and it will always run in the psychological background regardless of the thoughts and beliefs that may develop over time.

I’ve had an eclectic mix of friends over the years and my experience has been that we haven’t had issues over religion for one minute. We are mates who have different understandings of the world. Not necessary to let that nonsense get in the way of friendship. My best friend from a few years back was a gay Mormon who sadly died in India recently chasing his dream?

Your free from christain bs and should be setting your own values. Those people have good ideas, but clouded by fairy tale teachings. I set my own values when I left the religious bs.

I don't share many of those core values, so I can't answer that question.

of course, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "core values", because without fail every value I hold is counter to what the bible says, except for a few parts of the law that were stolen from the babylonian culture that Judaism originated in, and having nothing to do with the religion to begin with.

Fundamental Christians believe in the supernatural. That is, the virgin birth and the resurrection. They take the easy way to heaven and recite the apostle's creed once a week in church. But as far as living attitudes go, instead of turn the cheek, it's punish the infidel. Instead of good Samaritan, it's me and mine are right. Instead of blessed are the poor, it's, I am of God, make me rich. But it is amazing how unbelievers can be the most Christian.

MrDMC Level 7 Sep 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.